Problem Solving Techniques Training Materials

• Thread starter David J Quality
  • Start date
D

David J Quality

Hello All !

My company (brake manufacturer) is looking for materials to use to teach a class on "problem solving" to a few of our associates while production is slow. Though we have been through our own training over the years, me and my fellow QE's were looking for other thoughts on good materials we can look into. Any suggestions? And yes, if the price is right, we may consider bringing someone in if we can't discover any good materials.

Thanks,
David

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: problem solving materials

Problem solving? As individuals or as a team (not group)? Your 1st decision.

Problem solving can take multiple pathways, the 2 basic ones being related to what you do or not related to what you do. 2 decision to make

(Looks like problem solving in the 1st 2 things I've given you)

Probably a good effective way would be a combination of common problems you face or could face and some totally irrelevant problems.

As a Marine in training before we started tackling the problems they presented us...attacking a hill, breaking an ambush, going from point A to point B, or just figuring out how to best clean our hooches, we were 1st instilled with a spirit of esprit and unity of purpose. Kinda like the old pencil trick....take a pencil and break it across your fingers...it takes effort and the pencil has some strength, but you can break it.....now take 6 or 8 pencils and try to break them....see what I mean?

OK.........now the problems........I would start out with some individual problems and then work into some situations (not telling them what you're doing) that will require your folks to seek each other out for solution...have them initiate the group or team process to understand they can't go it alone....finish up with specifically designed team tasks where someone has to take initiative to lead or better yet takes your weakest and have them lead and make decisions. You have to temper your weakest just like metal just don't let the heat make it brittle.

Use a combination of the physical type of problem as well as the mental problem. Go for the abstract as well as the real. Use problem that require both left and right brain engagement.

Others responding will probably give you some specific scenarios. Good luck

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
...while production is slow.
Jump into existing open corrective actions while you're at it. When I did training I brought them into the classroom after floor work. Depends how many people you have in the class, though, as to how you set it up. Usually my in-house classes were 10 to 20 people so I could set up sub-groups. Good conversation material. And relevant.

Top Bottom