Problems with process equipment

Hello everyone.

Some time ago external audit discovered problems with process equipment - no validation protocols, no supervision, and so on. Now I have to do the audit of this equipment and part of process acc. to ISO 9001, 13485, MDD 93/42/EEC. Could you give me some advice how to do it in a comprehensive manner?
I think I should check:
- if this part of process is included on the production process chart (ISO 9001, p. 4.4.1 b)
- if there are documented requirements for the maintanence activities, including the interval of performing the maintanance activities + records from that activity (ISO 13485, p. 6.3)
- if the work environment is documented and monitored acc. to adequate procedure + records from monitoring (ISO 13485, p. 6.4.1) + records from checking the measuring equipment - f.ex. termometer, hygrometer (ISO 3485, p. 7.6)
- if the personnel performing work is competent - records from trainings (ISO 13485, p. 6.2, 6.4.1; ) and have assigned responsibilites (ISO 9001, p. 4.4.1 e)
- records from validation of the equipment: IQ, OQ, PQ (ISO 13485, p. 7.5.6)
- instruction how to operate the equipment to produce the device in conformity to requirements (ISO 13485, p. 7.5.1a)
- if the traceability of product is maintained in this process (ISO 13485, p. 7.5.9)

What do you think?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tidge

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is this process equipment the direct responsibility of a medical device manufacturer, or is it in use at a supplier?

I feel as if there is a layer missing from the consideration. The standard authorities mentioned (13485, etc.) don't provide necessary details for specific processes, but instead establish the necessary requirements for entire (quality) systems. Presumably the root cause of the issue with 'no validation of equipment' was that there was no process for guaranteeing that a validation was done. The audit (e.g. against 13485) presumably reveals the defect to be that the (medical device manufacturer) has insufficient procedures for process validation internally or at suppliers (where necessary). If a procedure exists and is sufficient, you should be auditing (the process) against the established procedure. The established procedure (if sufficient) will cover the necessary areas of the relevant standards.

If the effort is to plan a remediation of a specific production process, the effort is to identify the necessary information that is missing as prescribed by the governing quality system process. If the governing quality system process is deficient, start with remediating that part of the QMS (if possible, if supply chain and lead times allow... presumably containment measure will have to be implemented) because otherwise you will end up looking at the specific manufacturing process multiple times. You will do it (at least) once in the ad hoc manner described, and then it will be revisited to assure compliance with the (revised) QMS.

Is this process equipment the direct responsibility of a medical device manufacturer, or is it in use at a supplier?
the direct responsibility is manufacturer

Presumably the root cause of the issue with 'no validation of equipment' was that there was no process for guaranteeing that a validation was done. The audit (e.g. against 13485) presumably reveals the defect to be that the (medical device manufacturer) has insufficient procedures for process validation internally or at suppliers (where necessary). If a procedure exists and is sufficient, you should be auditing (the process) against the established procedure. The established procedure (if sufficient) will cover the necessary areas of the relevant standard.
You are right, there is no procedure. Sorry, there is a procedure which is written on the paper but this procedure is no implemented. I have some problems with the top management to accept, sign procedure and to use it (CEO is responsible for described area). So the problem is bigger, I know but I try little steps, and the situation like this, where external audit discovered the problem causes that I can say: "I said so" and "We need to get it done"...

Tidge

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks for the clarification. This sounds like this is more like a CYA exercise where the 'audit' is intended to expose elements of 'little q' quality that may be lacking (in a specific process) as opposed to 'Big Q'. I've been in the next step of this specific situation (with regards to process validation) and I have found it very frustrating for a variety of reasons, the ultimate source of frustration is (eventually) going to be that no matter how complete and thorough the process validation ends up being, the lack of a master validation plan and a governing process will mean that the entire effort will be re-remediated ...and possibly "threemediated" when management injects an 'interim' gap assessment.

You sound like you are on the right path by listing the examples of things you would expect to find (e.g. IQ/OQ/PQ) but your roles as an auditor should be to identify elements (from the applicable authorities/standards) that are necessary first, and then list the examples of sorts of things that would be evidence that those elements are met. For example, within 13485:2016 the germ of the mandate for process validation in production is probably in 7.3.8 (Design Transfer) and 7.5.1 (Control of Production and Service Provision) but you can probably just jump to 7.5.6 (Validation of Processes for Production and Service Provision) with a healthy dose of 7.6 (Control of Monitoring an Measuring Equipment). Sections 7.3.8 and 7.5.1 are bigger cans of worms such as risk management and derivation of process parameters in the realization of design outputs that (I am guessing) this company isn't that good at either (or the production process in question would have been validated).

There is a "practical guide" published for 13486:2016 put together by TC 210, but the guidances for 7.5.6 aren't radically different than 'open source' information that could be found via IMDRF (see the older GHTF documents for Medical Device manufacture for instance).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Software Process Implementation Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P Problems with Internal Process Audit integration due to different CSR IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Feedback of typical maintenance problems with LMI digital probes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S New problems exporting to Germany - February 2019 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Resource allocation problems in Software DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Marc Problems - Contacting Us about Problems (How To - Etc.) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Youtube - Viewing problems Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 4
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Problems while documenting the SOUPs used for the software we are developing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
W Problems with our new Auditor (a Ph.D. with four months experience) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
L Relying on Suppliers - Most Quality and Warranty problems are caused by Suppliers Supply Chain Security Management Systems 5
M The biggest gaps and problems in QMS or Quality in Automotive Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
I Request an FDA GUDID Account - Problems Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S Document Review Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L How to avoid Nonconformance Reoccurrence problems IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
K Bottle Labeling Machine Problems - Non conformance in FCMG industry Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
T Contacting the Supplier's CB vs a Supplier Audit - Nonconformance Problems AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Peter Fraser Problems and Deficiencies with the ISO 9001:2015 Draft ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B Quality problems that cost Millions of dollars (or euros, or pounds, etc.) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
AnaMariaVR2 How Open Innovation is Solving Some of NASA?s Trickiest Problems World News 0
T A survey on problems during ISMS implementation - need help IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
S Common Electric Fan Motor Problems Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Problems with Competence/Skills Matrix (6.2 Human Resources) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
ScottK Is anyone else having problems uploading Proprietary Names into the DRLM? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M FDA Warning Letter - Product Association with Search Engine Results - Problems Ahead? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M Problems with Unrealistic Customer Expectations Customer Complaints 12
AnaMariaVR2 Chronic Regulatory Compliance Issues Causing Drug Shortages & Safety Problems Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Q Method on how to cause people to solve problems Benchmarking 5
Oldrice Aerospace Registrar Problems - Starting Over? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
M 8.2.4 Problems with Monitoring and Measurement of Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Problems with Supplier - Always with 100% Sorting - No Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
G Product Returns are above average for Labeling Problems Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Supplier's First Run had Plating Problems - Can they Strip, Re-Plate and PPAP them? APQP and PPAP 14
1 A New Job - Replaced a QM who passed away - BIG Problems Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
N English as a Second Language - English problems with Legal Terms Contract Review Process 2
Uriel Alejandro Problems with the Employee Skills Matrix - Document Control System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
L Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier?s Quality Problems Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
M Problems implementing ISO 13485 for Software-Only Medical Device Manufacturers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B How can I resolve Chronic Nonconformance Problems? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Problems with the application of EN 62366:2008 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 13
F Can you tell me if this table is correct? Gage R&R Problems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
D Quality Metrics to use to solve Problems Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P Self Motivation - How to keep it when overwhelmed with problems? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
S Systemic Problems Identified in Audit and How to Fix Them IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
T Lollipop Production Line Problems - Defectives and Root Cause Analysis Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
T Big problems with Inspection - Manual Operation - Needs experts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 27
C Efficient Supplier Development and Problems with Buyers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
V Common Coating Problems in Refinery Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S What are the common Problems preventing (Gaps) Implementation of ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7