Problems with the Employee Skills Matrix - Document Control System

Uriel Alejandro

Involved In Discussions
Hi everyone,

Me and my team mate are having an discussion trying to set our skill matrix. So, we need to external opinions to try to solve this dilema.

He says we should put under control all the activities listed in our documents but i say It's enough just putting the main purpose for the document.

For example: Our "Control of documents procedure" it's divided in three principal activities:

1. Creation of documents
2. Revision
3. Approval

For me It´s only "Control of documents" the skill to control, but for my partner the three activities above. His point is that not everyone have the autority to approve documents, so we need to specify which activity is for each person. I think he´s right in that point but in our training session, we teach people to perform the three activities and tell who It's the responsable to perform them, so even when they are able to perform it all doesn't mean they are allowed to do it, the document provide all the responsabilities so we dont need to give all the details in the skill matrix, is implicit.

Who it´s right? I may sound like a silly discussion, and maybe it is or maybe we both are wrong. Any help is welcome

I hope I have explained my problem clearly, It´s a little bit is difficult to explain in language that is not your first languaje

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

kgott

He says we should put under control all the activities listed in our documents but i say It's enough just putting the main purpose for the document.
As I interpret what you have described, the thoughts that come to my mind are is that your mate is right but also wrong.

Right because the principle is correct.

Wrong because such a detailed level of competency requirements in a skill matrix is far to detailed and will be a nightmare to maintain and keep up to date.

I would suggest that a better way to deal with this is say the skill or knowledge requirement is to "know and apply document control requirements" as detailed in the document control procedure

This can then be verified by audit of the document control activities they do for compliance to the document control procedural requirements.

Another way of verifying thier knowledge or skill is by giving them an excerise, or series of excerises, to do where they are required to demonstrate their knowledge of document control requirements for their job function, using a test document where they are required to do what they have to do as part of their job.

If they do it right, they are competent, if they get it wrong and depending on how wrong they are, they have to be retrained again and then retested again.

When they get it right, the test document becomes evidence of their competency and this is kept in their personell file and they are marked as competent in the skill matrix.

hope this helps.

J

JaneB

It comes back to:
  • what you want to achieve in your skills matrix - why have one? when will you use it, how and why?
  • the resources you hve available
  • size of your system, and
  • how your system is structured and documented.
If you've specified who's responsible for doing what in a procedure (Doc Control for example), then I'm not sure why you would want to break down that procedure into 3 separate further skills, as listed, and show each of those separately in the matrix. Why? What's the benefit?

It would make for a very large matrix, which would take some effort to maintain.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi everyone,

Me and my team mate are having an discussion trying to set our skill matrix. So, we need to external opinions to try to solve this dilema.

For example: Our "Control of documents procedure" it's divided in three principal activities:

1. Creation of documents
2. Revision
3. Approval

For me It´s only "Control of documents" the skill to control, but for my partner the three activities above. His point is that not everyone have the autority to approve documents, so we need to specify which activity is for each person. I think he´s right in that point but in our training session, we teach people to perform the three activities and tell who It's the responsable to perform them, so even when they are able to perform it all doesn't mean they are allowed to do it, the document provide all the responsabilities so we dont need to give all the details in the skill matrix, is implicit.

Who it´s right? I may sound like a silly discussion, and maybe it is or maybe we both are wrong. Any help is welcome

I hope I have explained my problem clearly, It´s a little bit is difficult to explain in language that is not your first languaje

Thanks in advance
Probably I am confused, however I try to suggest to establish clear responsibility and authorities as ISO 9001 foresees.
You can use whatever method or way, I mean job description, skill matix, documentation or also verbal, I do not know but it is important that your people are aware of what they shall do .
I understand your necessity to break down but only you may decide on how to proceed. I perceive a misunderstanding in the responsibility and authority section with the skills and competences. They are different things.:bigwave:

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Probably I am confused, however I try to suggest to establish clear responsibility and authorities as ISO 9001 foresees.
You can use whatever method or way, I mean job description, skill matix, documentation or also verbal, I do not know but it is important that your people are aware of what they shall do .
I understand your necessity to break down but only you may decide on how to proceed. I perceive a misunderstanding in the responsibility and authority section with the skills and competences. They are different things.:bigwave:
qusys,

Many people find document control difficult. This is why your management system should make it easy for them. For example:

• Separate current documents from superseded documents
  • Make only the current document available for use
  • Clearly mark draft documents NOT FOR USE - COMMENTS REQUESTED BY <date>
Authorizing people to do things unsupervised before they are competent is unwise. Therefore your management system will focus on the assessment of competence. The results of these assessments, by competent people, will be recorded in your matrix.

Do not start with defining the competence to control documents. That I have never seen recorded.

BTW, one way people resist change is to focus on something that is insignificant but difficult.

John

qusys

qusys,

Many people find document control difficult. This is why your management system should make it easy for them. For example:

Authorizing people to do things unsupervised before they are competent is unwise. Therefore your management system will focus on the assessment of competence. The results of these assessments, by competent people, will be recorded in your matrix.

Do not start with defining the competence to control documents. That I have never seen recorded.

BTW, one way people resist change is to focus on something that is insignificant but difficult.

John
Agree with you.
I tried to give a suggestion to the original poster fulgore90, if I have understood well the issue he wrote.:bigwave:

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi everyone,

1. Creation of documents
2. Revision
3. Approval

Thanks in advance
fulgore,

Authorizing people to do things unsupervised before they are competent is unwise.

Therefore your management system will focus on the assessment of competence. The results of these assessments, by competent people, will be recorded in your matrix.

John

Uriel Alejandro

Involved In Discussions
Thank you all for your help,

It's funny how sometimes we block us with simple things, and How we need external opinions to set us free. All your suggestions were totally hepful.:yes:

Now we're having a clearer idea of how to build our matrix: Simply to control and focusing on competences.

Again, Thank you very much!

qusys

Thank you all for your help,

It's funny how sometimes we block us with simple things, and How we need external opinions to set us free. All your suggestions were totally hepful.:yes:

Now we're having a clearer idea of how to build our matrix: Simply to control and focusing on competences.

Again, Thank you very much!
You are welcome, fulgore90.
This is a good forum to share experience, news , suugestions and help each other.
Only another suggestion: be sure that you meet in your work for what you asked for to the clauses 5.5.1, 5.5.3 , 6.2.1 and 6.2.2.
The organization can use the methods that more fit for its purpose, the important is to comply with the standard and be effective in the QMS processes.:bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Eye sight testing - Employee can't see the problems because he needs glasses Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Feedback of typical maintenance problems with LMI digital probes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S New problems exporting to Germany - February 2019 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Resource allocation problems in Software DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Marc Problems - Contacting Us about Problems (How To - Etc.) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Youtube - Viewing problems Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 4
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Problems while documenting the SOUPs used for the software we are developing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
W Problems with our new Auditor (a Ph.D. with four months experience) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
L Relying on Suppliers - Most Quality and Warranty problems are caused by Suppliers Supply Chain Security Management Systems 5
M The biggest gaps and problems in QMS or Quality in Automotive Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
I Request an FDA GUDID Account - Problems Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S Document Review Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L How to avoid Nonconformance Reoccurrence problems IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
C Software Process Implementation Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Bottle Labeling Machine Problems - Non conformance in FCMG industry Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
T Contacting the Supplier's CB vs a Supplier Audit - Nonconformance Problems AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Peter Fraser Problems and Deficiencies with the ISO 9001:2015 Draft ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B Quality problems that cost Millions of dollars (or euros, or pounds, etc.) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
AnaMariaVR2 How Open Innovation is Solving Some of NASA?s Trickiest Problems World News 0
T A survey on problems during ISMS implementation - need help IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
S Common Electric Fan Motor Problems Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Problems with Competence/Skills Matrix (6.2 Human Resources) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
ScottK Is anyone else having problems uploading Proprietary Names into the DRLM? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M FDA Warning Letter - Product Association with Search Engine Results - Problems Ahead? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M Problems with Unrealistic Customer Expectations Customer Complaints 12
AnaMariaVR2 Chronic Regulatory Compliance Issues Causing Drug Shortages & Safety Problems Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Q Method on how to cause people to solve problems Benchmarking 5
O Aerospace Registrar Problems - Starting Over? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
M 8.2.4 Problems with Monitoring and Measurement of Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Problems with Supplier - Always with 100% Sorting - No Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
G Product Returns are above average for Labeling Problems Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Supplier's First Run had Plating Problems - Can they Strip, Re-Plate and PPAP them? APQP and PPAP 14
1 A New Job - Replaced a QM who passed away - BIG Problems Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
N English as a Second Language - English problems with Legal Terms Contract Review Process 2
L Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier?s Quality Problems Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
M Problems implementing ISO 13485 for Software-Only Medical Device Manufacturers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B How can I resolve Chronic Nonconformance Problems? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Problems with the application of EN 62366:2008 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 13
F Can you tell me if this table is correct? Gage R&R Problems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
D Quality Metrics to use to solve Problems Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P Self Motivation - How to keep it when overwhelmed with problems? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
S Systemic Problems Identified in Audit and How to Fix Them IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
T Lollipop Production Line Problems - Defectives and Root Cause Analysis Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
T Big problems with Inspection - Manual Operation - Needs experts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 27
C Efficient Supplier Development and Problems with Buyers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
V Common Coating Problems in Refinery Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S What are the common Problems preventing (Gaps) Implementation of ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7