Procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge

N

nurhakim

Hi,

I am looking on procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge as well as the accepted tolerance.

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nur

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Foot pressure of dial thickness gauge

Hi,

I am looking on procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge as well as the accepted tolerance.

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nur
I've moved your post to a more appropriate forum.

A picture of what's commonly known as a dial thickness gage is attached. Is this the type of device you're asking about? If not, could you please explain further? If it is what you're asking about, I'm not sure how foot pressure comes into play.

Attachments

N

nurhakim

Dear Jim,

many thanks for your quick response. The picture that you attached is what I am looking for. Actually I receive an NCR from previous audit regarding this. In the workplace, I measure the thickness of film using this device. The auditor was concern about the correct mesurement and to take into consideration the foot pressure when conducting the measurement for more accurate result.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Dear Jim,

many thanks for your quick response. The picture that you attached is what I am looking for. Actually I receive an NCR from previous audit regarding this. In the workplace, I measure the thickness of film using this device. The auditor was concern about the correct mesurement and to take into consideration the foot pressure when conducting the measurement for more accurate result.
The word "foot" is what's puzzling me. Are you referring to the anvils--the surfaces of the gage that contact the part? The pressure isn't usually adjustable, and if the gage has been properly calibrated and is being used properly, pressure shouldn't be an issue.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation.

T

True Position

The word "foot" is what's puzzling me. Are you referring to the anvils--the surfaces of the gage that contact the part? The pressure isn't usually adjustable, and if the gage has been properly calibrated and is being used properly, pressure shouldn't be an issue.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation.
I'm fairly sure he's talking about the anvils. You're making a number of assumptions about calibration and proper use. I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear the gage is set using blocks or a hard pin and then used to measure a soft film. In that case, the force applied would be a concern.

The real problem is using the wrong gage in the first place.

harry

Super Moderator

......................... The real problem is using the wrong gage in the first place.
I agree. It is important to understand your purpose, your material and any standards that you need to meet in choosing the right gage. Example:

for textile, you need to meet ASTM D 1777 and for

elastomer or rubber, ASTM D3767

Details are given in the various tables of the standards.

N

nurhakim

Dear Jim,

Yes I am referring to the anvil. The concern is that how much pressure applied during measurement that would affect the accuracy. Due to some reason that one may apply more pressure.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Dear Jim,

Yes I am referring to the anvil. The concern is that how much pressure applied during measurement that would affect the accuracy. Due to some reason that one may apply more pressure.
MSA, and in particular GR&R would be helpful in providing evidence of measurement consistency.

If the gage is being properly used there should be no pressure being applied by the user; the device's spring force should be sufficient. it's not like a micrometer or caliper where closing pressure can affect results. It seems an odd thing for an auditor to be concerned about unless there is evidence of misuse of the gage.

I

iamtroll

I would consult the manufacturer's published load claim first in order to determine what range will be needed on the device with which to evaluate that load on your tool. In all probability, a Chatillon force gage of the correct range would be a reasonable device to validate that your device operates within the published force. From there, I would do a combined Gage R&R on both the force gage and the dial gage to prove that you can check the force of that gage and also that you are measuring the thickness of the film repeatably. You will then need to evaluate the compressive strength of the film to assure that you are not compressing it with the force that you now know that you are applying with the original tool. A little convoluted, but I hope that helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Using tailoring guidelines to tailor a QMS procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Change management procedure when 7.3 is not applicable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Sample Procedure from Contract Manufacturer Prospective ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M UDI procedure/ report 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
DuncanGibbons Resources for aiding in procedure, work instruction and manufacturing plan development and management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Article 22 Procedure Pack Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L Purchasing procedure and workload ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Roles and accountabilities procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
M EU MDR - RA procedure for EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A MAH license transfer (medical device registrant) procedure in Indonesia Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Manufacturing procedure / work instruction depth ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Product Lifecycle Procedure Guidance Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
V Datron 4707 or 4708 33K, NAVAIR or TB cal procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R MDR Article 22: Systems and procedure packs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K 820.200 Servicing Procedure - Our system (because there is an API involved) is classified as Class 3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D Substance of concern (SOC) management procedure wanted Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Different procedure templates for different standards - We have two different management systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Something between a manual and a procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Risk Assessment Procedure in accordance with ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
U Own Procedure was not effectively implemented Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
M Procedure or Specification For Extending Gages Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A Process Control / Control Charting Procedure Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
R Real Example of a currently marketed Procedure Pack CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing/3D printing for aerospace (certification procedure) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Certification procedure for OEM/PLM collaboration in the medical device industry in the US - Who bears the regulatory responsability? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10