Procedure for Incoming Inspection of Adhesives including Shelf Life

D

Davey

Incoming Inspection of Adhesives

I am seeking assistance in developing an appropriate procedure for the incoming inspection of adhesives. These adhesives are used in a medical device.

I am hoping to use the following approach:

1. Obtain results of testing of the adhesive from the supplier (demonstrating it can meet the requirements for strength, etc). This should demonstrate the adhesive meets my company's requirements.

2. Obtain evidence of the supplier's final product inspection. This shoud demonstrate the adhesive is inspected and (hopefully) describe a process for testing lots or batches before they leave the supplier's facility.

3. Ensure the supplier provides a Certificate of Conformance (C of C) demonstrating the adhesive I receive meets the stated specification.

4. At incoming inspection, review of the C of C to ensure the product meets the stated specifications, including the supplier's final testing.

Parts that are held together by adhesive are tested (during the manufacturing process) to ensure the bond is satisfactory.

Therefore, I expect that testing of the adhesive at my company, while perhaps desirable, is not essential.

Determining whether or not the adhesive is appropriate for use is made by the design engineering group. For now, please assume that the adhesive is appropriate, it has been demonstrated to work in its intended application and its use has been validated.

Any comments or suggestions on my approach to the development of an incoming inspection procedure for adhesives would be useful.

Thanks,

Davey.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

I can't comment directly, but there is a test for adhesives that can be used with different substraights. I forget the name of the machine but it works as follows.

You put the substraight on the bottom holder and top holder and measure the total resistence of the top separating from the bottom. This is ususlly read in PPI but it can be adjusted for other types of measurement.

It looks like a type of tinsil tester but can be modified.

It's not a Shore reading, and it is not conducted in a very controlled environment It as about 2" x 2" by 6' tall and has a digital reading if the pressure pulled on whatever substrate required.

We used to use it as a method of measuring the breaking point of a foam resin. The gage insides looked like a black accordian and the outside had the readings. For what it's worth, it was a type of pull tester!!!!!

A

Alf Gulford

Davey-

This looks like a well-reasoned approach to me (but I come from an FDA Class 1 perspective). Assuming all of the surrounding details are taken care of (Design has documented the required specs, the supplier has been qualified, etc., etc.) the only question I'd have is in point number 2.

Unless you're walking some kind of thin line I would think that one of the Purchasing requirements could be that the supplier provide details of how they test their product before shipment. Shouldn't be any 'hopefully' about it. How else could you make an informed decision about testing adequacy?

Looks like you're off to a great start.

Alf

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Incoming, In-Process, Final and Outgoing Quality Inspection Procedure examples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure - Please Review Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
R Incoming Inspection, Handling and Storage Procedure for Lead Acid Batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
P Implement FAI process in my Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Incoming Materials First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Incoming Inspection Procedure - Seeking an example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
A Tooling procedure for incoming custom built or commercial tooling and fixtures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Sample Procedure from Contract Manufacturer Prospective ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M UDI procedure/ report 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
DuncanGibbons Resources for aiding in procedure, work instruction and manufacturing plan development and management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Article 22 Procedure Pack Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L Purchasing procedure and workload ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Roles and accountabilities procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
M EU MDR - RA procedure for EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A MAH license transfer (medical device registrant) procedure in Indonesia Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Manufacturing procedure / work instruction depth ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Product Lifecycle Procedure Guidance Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
V Datron 4707 or 4708 33K, NAVAIR or TB cal procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R MDR Article 22: Systems and procedure packs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K 820.200 Servicing Procedure - Our system (because there is an API involved) is classified as Class 3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D Substance of concern (SOC) management procedure wanted Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Different procedure templates for different standards - We have two different management systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Something between a manual and a procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Risk Assessment Procedure in accordance with ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
U Own Procedure was not effectively implemented Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3