SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Procedure for Incoming Inspection of Adhesives including Shelf Life

D

Davey

Incoming Inspection of Adhesives

I am seeking assistance in developing an appropriate procedure for the incoming inspection of adhesives. These adhesives are used in a medical device.

I am hoping to use the following approach:

1. Obtain results of testing of the adhesive from the supplier (demonstrating it can meet the requirements for strength, etc). This should demonstrate the adhesive meets my company's requirements.

2. Obtain evidence of the supplier's final product inspection. This shoud demonstrate the adhesive is inspected and (hopefully) describe a process for testing lots or batches before they leave the supplier's facility.

3. Ensure the supplier provides a Certificate of Conformance (C of C) demonstrating the adhesive I receive meets the stated specification.

4. At incoming inspection, review of the C of C to ensure the product meets the stated specifications, including the supplier's final testing.

Parts that are held together by adhesive are tested (during the manufacturing process) to ensure the bond is satisfactory.

Therefore, I expect that testing of the adhesive at my company, while perhaps desirable, is not essential.

Determining whether or not the adhesive is appropriate for use is made by the design engineering group. For now, please assume that the adhesive is appropriate, it has been demonstrated to work in its intended application and its use has been validated.

Any comments or suggestions on my approach to the development of an incoming inspection procedure for adhesives would be useful.

Thanks,

Davey.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

I can't comment directly, but there is a test for adhesives that can be used with different substraights. I forget the name of the machine but it works as follows.

You put the substraight on the bottom holder and top holder and measure the total resistence of the top separating from the bottom. This is ususlly read in PPI but it can be adjusted for other types of measurement.

It looks like a type of tinsil tester but can be modified.

It's not a Shore reading, and it is not conducted in a very controlled environment It as about 2" x 2" by 6' tall and has a digital reading if the pressure pulled on whatever substrate required.

We used to use it as a method of measuring the breaking point of a foam resin. The gage insides looked like a black accordian and the outside had the readings. For what it's worth, it was a type of pull tester!!!!!

A

Alf Gulford

Davey-

This looks like a well-reasoned approach to me (but I come from an FDA Class 1 perspective). Assuming all of the surrounding details are taken care of (Design has documented the required specs, the supplier has been qualified, etc., etc.) the only question I'd have is in point number 2.

Unless you're walking some kind of thin line I would think that one of the Purchasing requirements could be that the supplier provide details of how they test their product before shipment. Shouldn't be any 'hopefully' about it. How else could you make an informed decision about testing adequacy?

Looks like you're off to a great start.

Alf

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Action Not defined in procedure - NC - Incoming inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Incoming, In-Process, Final and Outgoing Quality Inspection Procedure examples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure - Please Review Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
R Incoming Inspection, Handling and Storage Procedure for Lead Acid Batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
P Implement FAI process in my Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Incoming Materials First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Incoming Inspection Procedure - Seeking an example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
A Tooling procedure for incoming custom built or commercial tooling and fixtures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Procedure pack EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
M Procedure for vigilance system according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Production Work Order Procedure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E System&Procedure pack or accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Contract Manufacturer Do they need a complaint procedure? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 8
E Design and Development file Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
B Procedure facility license in karnataka Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
P Software verification and validation procedure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
B Procedure packs with non-medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Need procedure for D&D inputs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Example of a defined procedure for carrying out Material Review Board (MRB) Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
A ISO 13485 procedure change and reflect to legacy manufacture items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S What should i choose for "testing procedure" characteristics? (N95) General Information Resources 0
S Critical characteristic on manufacturing operations test procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
A SPC procedure / flow chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
U Procedure pack components EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G Control Plan & PFMEA Review Procedure? FMEA and Control Plans 8
J Strategy for MDR Regulatory Compliance Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A IVD in MDR procedure pack EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G RoHS Procedure REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
John Predmore Configuration Management as a process instead of a procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Design and development procedure for API Spec Q2 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
W Using tailoring guidelines to tailor a QMS procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Change management procedure when 7.3 is not applicable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Sample Procedure from Contract Manufacturer Prospective ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M UDI procedure/ report 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
DuncanGibbons Resources for aiding in procedure, work instruction and manufacturing plan development and management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Article 22 Procedure Pack Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 21
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3