Procedure Signatures - Who needs to put authorization signature on procedures?

B

Bryan

I have a question requarding a level 2 document, Procedures.
If a consolidated procedure is writen, say 4-5 depts are involved in the paper flow/trail. (Ex. dept A will contact dept B, dept B will forward paperwork to dept. C after there completed with there process, Dept C will forward paperwork to dept D). Are there any guide lines to follow as to who needs to have there authorization signature on the procedure. In the procedure, it will state that the paperwork will route to dept X, its not instructions on what they will do. If there are no guide lines, then are all dept signatures required ?
This is only for procedures, My understanding reguarding work instruction it would require all dept signatures.

Thanks for all inputs to this question.
Bryan

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Bryan,

Consider this:

No matter what level of documentation, shouldn't all persons that have any type of responsibility or input to the document approve the document?

By doing this, there is the proverbial trail that proves that personnel know what their duties comprise. (Perfect world syndrome!)

When we think of the overall scheme of document approval is it really that intrusive to have all the appropriate signatures on the required documents?

As an aside, the signatures do not have to be "written in pen". Electronic signatures are the wave of the future.

Keep in touch!

ASD...

G

Graeme

Bryan,

Everyone who is part of the documented process should be involved in improvement and review, if only so they know what their part is. That does not mean everyone has to "sign" the procedure. Your company policies may require a signature from someone in each department, but ultimately there has to be a person -- the process owner -- with the reponsibility and authority to say "this is good; it's approved; now post it on the intranet." The process owner cannot delegate that responsibility.

There are several ways to verify that the correct people see the procedure. Microsoft Office and Lotus Notes (and probably other office software suites) have document routing capability, with the ability to send proof of having read the document. Many applications have digital electronic signature capability, which identifies the signer and also detects any attempt to change the signed document. There are also commercial documentation control packages that combine these and other features. (There is at least one, for example, that will notify affected users of the change, make sure they have read it and even let you give them a test on it.)

K

Kimster

Could somebody please give me some guidelines on "electronic signatures"? We have been scanning pen-signed documents, just for the sake of capturing those signatures!

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Kimster -

I do the following....

We use a procedure approval signoff sheet. This list details of the procedures under approval, and is signed by the department head responsible for those procedures. After the approval sheet is received, the new/revised procedure is placed on the network. The approval sheet is filed in the Quality Office.

Good Luck!
Carol

Originally posted by Kimster:
Could somebody please give me some guidelines on "electronic signatures"? We have been scanning pen-signed documents, just for the sake of capturing those signatures!
My Microsoft Manual enables me to route a document to specific individuals in the appropriate order, track the document and automatically return the document to me once the last recipient has completed their review.
The recipients are able to provide feedback by inserting comments without making changes to the document itself.
Electronic signatures are listed as well.
Possibly the manual specific to your computer outlines similar options and procedures.

awk

A

Alf Gulford

awk-

A question out of ignorance, if I could.

When you refer to your "Microsoft Manual" are you talking about about a software application by that name, a feature in the operating system (Windows 98/2000) or something I might find in the Office Suite? If I could find something that would do what you're saying without getting my IS/IT department involved, my life would be much easier.

Thanks. Alf

G

Graeme

Originally posted by Kimster:
There are a large number of resources available for information on this topic. Instead of listing a bunch of commercial sites, though, here is a suggested search key for your favorite Internet search engine:

Code:
"digital signature" and "digital certificate" and "public key"
Digital signatures (or certificates) are based on public/private key encryption technology. They provide a secure means of "signing" a document, and later verifying the identity of the signer and detecting attempts to change the document. They can be managed locally or enterprise wide, or by subscription to a global certificate service. The basic technology is built in to many applications, ranging from Microsoft Internet Explorer to Adobe Acrobat to Lotus Notes (and many more). There are also a large number of books available -- search your favorite bookseller for the same terms I listed above.

A more complete description is (in my opinion) somewhat outside the scope of this forum, because it can get quite involved ...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L Purchasing procedure and workload ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Roles and accountabilities procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
M EU MDR - RA procedure for EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A MAH license transfer (medical device registrant) procedure in Indonesia Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Manufacturing procedure / work instruction depth ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Product Lifecycle Procedure Guidance Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
V Datron 4707 or 4708 33K, NAVAIR or TB cal procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R MDR Article 22: Systems and procedure packs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K 820.200 Servicing Procedure - Our system (because there is an API involved) is classified as Class 3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D Substance of concern (SOC) management procedure wanted Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Different procedure templates for different standards - We have two different management systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Something between a manual and a procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Risk Assessment Procedure in accordance with ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
U Own Procedure was not effectively implemented Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
M Procedure or Specification For Extending Gages Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A Process Control / Control Charting Procedure Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
R Real Example of a currently marketed Procedure Pack CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing/3D printing for aerospace (certification procedure) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
A Certification procedure for OEM/PLM collaboration in the medical device industry in the US - Who bears the regulatory responsability? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
B AS NZS 5131 - Procedure on Concessions with focus on Steel Fabrication Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
alonFAI Please share a medical device company NCMR procedure Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Informational MDCG 2019-3 Interpretation of Article 54(2)b – Pre- market clinical evaluation consultation procedure with the involvement of expert panels Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Scrubbed version of a labeling procedure that is MDR compliant wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J ISO 13485 8.4 Analysis of Data - Procedure example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Is a First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure required by ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Y My mission is to draft a procedure related to ISO 14155 - Good Clinical Investigation Practices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Looking for procedure on UDI (Unique Device Identification) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6