Procedure Signatures - Who needs to put authorization signature on procedures?

B

Bryan

I have a question requarding a level 2 document, Procedures.
If a consolidated procedure is writen, say 4-5 depts are involved in the paper flow/trail. (Ex. dept A will contact dept B, dept B will forward paperwork to dept. C after there completed with there process, Dept C will forward paperwork to dept D). Are there any guide lines to follow as to who needs to have there authorization signature on the procedure. In the procedure, it will state that the paperwork will route to dept X, its not instructions on what they will do. If there are no guide lines, then are all dept signatures required ?
This is only for procedures, My understanding reguarding work instruction it would require all dept signatures.

Thanks for all inputs to this question.
Bryan

A

Al Dyer

Bryan,

Consider this:

No matter what level of documentation, shouldn't all persons that have any type of responsibility or input to the document approve the document?

By doing this, there is the proverbial trail that proves that personnel know what their duties comprise. (Perfect world syndrome!)

When we think of the overall scheme of document approval is it really that intrusive to have all the appropriate signatures on the required documents?

As an aside, the signatures do not have to be "written in pen". Electronic signatures are the wave of the future.

Keep in touch!

ASD...

G

Graeme

Bryan,

Everyone who is part of the documented process should be involved in improvement and review, if only so they know what their part is. That does not mean everyone has to "sign" the procedure. Your company policies may require a signature from someone in each department, but ultimately there has to be a person -- the process owner -- with the reponsibility and authority to say "this is good; it's approved; now post it on the intranet." The process owner cannot delegate that responsibility.

There are several ways to verify that the correct people see the procedure. Microsoft Office and Lotus Notes (and probably other office software suites) have document routing capability, with the ability to send proof of having read the document. Many applications have digital electronic signature capability, which identifies the signer and also detects any attempt to change the signed document. There are also commercial documentation control packages that combine these and other features. (There is at least one, for example, that will notify affected users of the change, make sure they have read it and even let you give them a test on it.)

K

Kimster

Could somebody please give me some guidelines on "electronic signatures"? We have been scanning pen-signed documents, just for the sake of capturing those signatures!

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Kimster -

I do the following....

We use a procedure approval signoff sheet. This list details of the procedures under approval, and is signed by the department head responsible for those procedures. After the approval sheet is received, the new/revised procedure is placed on the network. The approval sheet is filed in the Quality Office.

Good Luck!
Carol

A

awk

Originally posted by Kimster:
Could somebody please give me some guidelines on "electronic signatures"? We have been scanning pen-signed documents, just for the sake of capturing those signatures!

My Microsoft Manual enables me to route a document to specific individuals in the appropriate order, track the document and automatically return the document to me once the last recipient has completed their review.
The recipients are able to provide feedback by inserting comments without making changes to the document itself.
Electronic signatures are listed as well.
Possibly the manual specific to your computer outlines similar options and procedures.

awk

A

Alf Gulford

awk-

A question out of ignorance, if I could.

When you refer to your "Microsoft Manual" are you talking about about a software application by that name, a feature in the operating system (Windows 98/2000) or something I might find in the Office Suite? If I could find something that would do what you're saying without getting my IS/IT department involved, my life would be much easier.

Thanks. Alf

G

Graeme

Originally posted by Kimster:

There are a large number of resources available for information on this topic. Instead of listing a bunch of commercial sites, though, here is a suggested search key for your favorite Internet search engine:

Code:
"digital signature" and "digital certificate" and "public key"

Digital signatures (or certificates) are based on public/private key encryption technology. They provide a secure means of "signing" a document, and later verifying the identity of the signer and detecting attempts to change the document. They can be managed locally or enterprise wide, or by subscription to a global certificate service. The basic technology is built in to many applications, ranging from Microsoft Internet Explorer to Adobe Acrobat to Lotus Notes (and many more). There are also a large number of books available -- search your favorite bookseller for the same terms I listed above.

A more complete description is (in my opinion) somewhat outside the scope of this forum, because it can get quite involved ...

R

Rahul

For a good & simple introduction to digital signatures you could have a look at:
http://www.pgpi.org/doc/pgpintro/

And, no, I do not benefit in any way by provoding this info nor am I related to this web site in any way.

However, I do use the product.

Top Bottom