Definition Procedure vs. Guidelines (Like local work instructions) - Definition of

D

dbzman

Hello everyone!

I work for a Heat Treating facility and we are working on ISO 9001-2000.

I'm trying to weed out some of our old procedures and need some help.
We have some operator intructions that we use for training. They desciebe the general way that we perfrom start-up and shut-down of our furnaces. We can deviate from them at times and this is allowed depending on the situation.

My question is: Are these considered procedures or are they more like guidelines. If they are guidelines, then how do we control them?

Thanks!

Mike W:bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bob_M

I'm not sure how to answer the first part in your situation, but

You control them just you like control any other process/document that you do want the operator/employee follow/perform.

What you call it does not change the need for control.
-----
Although I'm far from an expert, I would not change what you call the setup procedure just for ISO (unless you are changing the name of similar processes).

Also even though you are describing the "guidelines" for the setup, you are still providing the procedure or setup instructions. Deviation from a "base-line" is acceptable as long as you state it within the document.

Does that make sense?

(I've been working to hard on updating procedures today. Ouch my brain hurts).

A

Al Dyer

Procedures describe:

"What" the activity is-
"Who" performs the activity-
"When" the activity is takes place-

Work instructions describe:

"How" the activity is performed.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like you are talking instructions, and they need to be controlled through your current document control system.

Do you have a D/C system?

Al...:bigwave:

N

noboxwine

Re: Definition of a Procedure

Originally posted by dbzman
Hello everyone!

My question is: Are these considered procedures or are they more like guidelines. ............
Thanks!

Mike W:bonk:
Doesn't matter, Mike ! Call 'em whatever you want, (Work Instructions, Process Instructions, Procedures, yadda, yadda). Focus your energy on making a usable document. Please don't get caught up in the semantics game!!!

If you using any document thats describes how you meet an objective, it needs to be controlled, period. How much flexibilty you give yourself within the realm of that document is completely up to you. It is required that documents are controlled (4.2.3) but most importantly, it is easy to do & makes a lot of sense. You'll see the value in it. Hope this helps & have a day---

A

Al Dyer

noboxwine,

I don't consider specific definitions for documents as semantics. the definitions come from ISO-8402. We all need to know the differences between the levels of documentation, it gives us a type of roadmap as to the structure of the written word as it applies to the standard.

That aside, I whole heartedly agree that if a document defines an aspect of the system it needs to be controlled in some manner. That is defined, with help from ISO, by the company, in a manner that is effective and useful.

Al...:bigwave:

N

noboxwine

Semantics

Al: We must have hit the submit button at the same time as my remarks were in general, not a response to your post. I agree with you that the moral of the story is control it and make it useful. ISO-8402, now ISO 9000, it's a little confusing, but does give the newcomers a decent roadmap.
:eek:

I

Isolytica

Mike

if i read between the lines correctly, you want to keep the idea and flexability of a guideline, rather than the 'stiffness' of a procedure.

certainly allowed. perhaps define up front that certain parts of the guideline are meant to be interpreted depending on the actual situation the employee faces at the time of use. state that the employee is allowed to use his/her experience and judgement to execute particular steps.

a nice to have: some kind of feedback to others, to get info on what to do and what not to do in a given situation.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Unless your standard requires a documented procedure, even a local custom will do as long as everyone can recite the sequence and specifics.

When you hit the 'documented' requirement, anything, just about, will do. Flow chart. Text document. Pictures. Combination of one or more. A procedure is just a way of doing something. How you 'describe' it (format, media, etc.) is not defined anywhere I am aware of.

Ask one thing: Does this achieve the results I seek? Does this give adequate information to someone who has to perform the job?

D

dbulak

procedure

Marc, could you then give us what you consider as a process and what is a procedure. From what is posted in this thread the two almost seem to be one in the same. Comments please.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Advanced Purchasing Procedure guidelines or templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Concession Procedure FDA Guidelines - medical devices. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
L Sample Procedure from Contract Manufacturer Prospective ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M UDI procedure/ report 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
DuncanGibbons Resources for aiding in procedure, work instruction and manufacturing plan development and management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Article 22 Procedure Pack Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L Purchasing procedure and workload ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Roles and accountabilities procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
M EU MDR - RA procedure for EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A MAH license transfer (medical device registrant) procedure in Indonesia Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Manufacturing procedure / work instruction depth ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Product Lifecycle Procedure Guidance Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
V Datron 4707 or 4708 33K, NAVAIR or TB cal procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R MDR Article 22: Systems and procedure packs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K 820.200 Servicing Procedure - Our system (because there is an API involved) is classified as Class 3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D Substance of concern (SOC) management procedure wanted Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Different procedure templates for different standards - We have two different management systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Something between a manual and a procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Risk Assessment Procedure in accordance with ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
U Own Procedure was not effectively implemented Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
M Procedure or Specification For Extending Gages Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A Process Control / Control Charting Procedure Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
R Real Example of a currently marketed Procedure Pack CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing/3D printing for aerospace (certification procedure) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Certification procedure for OEM/PLM collaboration in the medical device industry in the US - Who bears the regulatory responsability? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10