Procedure vs. Instruction - What constitutes a procedure? What are the differences?

tomstwincam

Inactive Registered Visitor
I have a question for everyone. If this is in the wrong forum please forgive me. I spend all of my time in the AS9100 forum anyways.

What constitutes a procedure?
Is their a fine line on what can be called a procedure and what can be called an instruction?

My problem is we have close to 50 procedures here. I recently brought up the argument that some of these are more like work instructions rather then procedures. So what is what?

BadgerMan

Forum Moderator
Re: Procedure vs. Instruction

Is their a fine line on what can be called a procedure and what can be called an instruction?
IMO......no.

So what is what?
Our somewhat antiquated system loosely defines them as:

Procedure – Who does what, when, and where.

Work Instruction – How it is done.

we have close to 50 procedures here
You are doing well.......we have roughly triple that amount! ;)

Randy

Quite Involved in Discussions

I have a question for everyone. If this is in the wrong forum please forgive me. I spend all of my time in the AS9100 forum anyways.

What constitutes a procedure?

My problem is we have close to 50 procedures here. I recently brought up the argument that some of these are more like work instructions rather then procedures. So what is what?

This has been debated since the Egyptions built the Pyramids........here's the bottom line.....as long as you and your organization know the difference it doesn't really matter "what the stuff that is written that tells you what to do and how to do it" is called.

Normally....here's where everyone and his brother is going to tell you how to boil water.....normally we see "procedures" providing information covering a broad process or activity and "instructions" providing information related to specific required tasks within the process or activity....

In the end, it doesn't really matter as long as you can use them , they are controlled as required and serve the needs you have.

Caster

An Early Cover

Procedure – Who does what, when, and where.
Work Instruction – How it is done.

There is also a nasty stink of elitism in these words - I hate 'em

Staff people need only broad direction because they are so smart (procedure)

Factory pukes need detailed work instructions because...well just because

Never mind that the factory guy can run a million dollar CNC lathe, while the director of operations can't book a meeting in Outlook

And don't get me started on policies.....what a waste of paper...just do it already

We need just enough documentation to get the job done, the names I like are method or technique, a bit more neutral.

Randy

Re: Procedure vs. Instruction - What constitutes a procedure? What are the difference

Caster?

Is there some bitterness or frustration here that needs to be discussed?

Big Jim

Re: Procedure vs. Instruction - What constitutes a procedure? What are the difference

In ISO 9001:2000 there are only six required procedures. They are defined in 4.2.3, 4.2.4, 8.2.2, 8.3, 8.5.2, and 8.5.3.

It doesn't really matter if these six are call procedures, although it would certainly be more "auditor friendly".

The other "procedures" and/or "work instructions" can be called anything you like, and documentation of them is optional as long as you meet the requirements of 4.2.1d "The quality management system shall include documents needed by the organization to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of its processes . . . "

U

Umang Vidyarthi

According to my understanding - 'Procedure' is a specified series of action, to be executed in the same manner, to obtain the same result under the same condition.

In other words, 'Procedure' is a sequence of processes, when undertaken in the laid down sequence, produces the described result.

The work instruction, is a prescribed and proscribed Instruction, combining command and explanation, for each and individual process in the 'Procedure'.

Umang :D

Jim Wynne

Forum Moderator

In ISO 9001:2000 there are only six required procedures. They are defined in 4.2.3, 4.2.4, 8.2.2, 8.3, 8.5.2, and 8.5.3.

It doesn't really matter if these six are call procedures, although it would certainly be more "auditor friendly".

The other "procedures" and/or "work instructions" can be called anything you like, and documentation of them is optional as long as you meet the requirements of 4.2.1d "The quality management system shall include documents needed by the organization to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of its processes . . . "
The required six may also be called something other than "procedure." It's the substance that's important.