Procedures - Documenting the other requirements without procedures?

I

ISO dog

Only six procedures are specifically required for ISO 9K:2k (as opposed to 15 or so in ISO 9K:1994).

Obviously the committee wanted to cut down on the number of procedures. How are we supposed to document the other requirements withour procedures? Memos?

I'm not trying to be clever, I really don't know.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Watt

Originally posted by ISO dog:
Only six procedures are specifically required for ISO 9K:2k (as opposed to 15 or so in ISO 9K:1994).
My view is that you develop the procedures necessary to run your particular type of business, therefore you may have only 6 or you may have 66 depending on your requirements (for example we have different procedures for process control depending on the nature & type of process).

As long as you cross reference which procedures relate to each clause in ISO you shouldn't run into problems.

J

Jim Biz

ISO-dog - Glad you asked the question --- I struggled a bit with that one myself.

If the final version requires only 6 procedures - thats from a numbereing viewpoint only. If you count each sub-clause as a separate procedure - include the new additions as separate procedure items then how many are required?

I did this a while back so the figures arent exact - but as I recall the number of sub-clauses in the 1994 version was almost 59 possibles (if you view all sub-sections like 4.1.2.3 as a candidate for a separate procedure. Counted the same way the new version was almost 66. I did not however make a determination of which sub-clauses can/should be easily combined. Our current system covered the 1994 version - 59 or so sub-clauses with 27 separately numbered
procedures. When the new version is final I'll determine which of these it make sense to add to and which need to be set-out on their own merits. But remunbering and reducing our system to 6 procedures that are 35-40 pages long seems to be a non workable option.

Regards
Jim

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Let me just say this about the number of procedures.....its the people who count them that make all this "ISO stuff" less valuable. The standard is saying its important......so we require these as a minimum....(they can all be in one !!!!!...if you want one long one...as above) as long as it is formally documented, reviewed, authorized and referenced in the QA system manual. But hell...if absence of a procedure affects the product quality ...even if the standard doesn't specifically spell it out...you're gonna need a procedure...so what makes since...counting them or creating what you need as a company?

Its also my opinion that renumbering makes no since..I don't plan to recommend it...but I do plan to recommend, to new implementations, my favorite numbering system that has no tie to the standard paragraghs, except on the master list.

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 20 April 2000).]

J

Jim Biz

Barb- Cant' say I totally disagree with your viewpoint- My interest in counting the sections -and the only value to it - lies in the fact that most of the people I work with internally really want to understand how many "action items" are required by the standards,how many have been added, and where the additions will be placed, so they can maintain a clear-path-to and easily find the relevant information. - therefore the identifying "action number" breakdown.

Who declared 6 are required - Where it started or Why the new version is being generally promoted as requiring only 6 procedures - I'm not sure of - but I do agree with you that how many "procedure documents" has little to do with satisfying the requirements as long as what you decide on covers all the required actions.

I

isodog

Clarification alert!

When I wrote there were only six procedures required, I meant there was only six places in the DIS where it says "A documented procedure shall be established" 5.5.6, 5.5.7, 8.2.2, 8.3, 8.5.2, and 8.5.3 (count em!). This is in contrast to 1994's "The supplier shall establish, document, and maintain documented procedures..." that is in, I believe, in sixteen sections.
Surely you may write as many procedures as you want, but, for instance, 5.6 Management Review has no language requiring a procedure. If the committee wanted a procedure there, They would require one (since they do that in other sections, see above). My question is what the %$%#@ did they have in mind other than a procedure? If I could do it with a memo, the control overhead would be significantly reduced.
Dave

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
now to take the other side......

if you don't need a procedure don't do one. the committee is allowing you options that would serve you better...if there are any. I typically do not do a management review procedure for instance....even for 9000.1994.
What do I do? A bit of meat to the QA manual describing an agenda, action log and minutes as the record.

Sometimes its semantics...a flow chart to me is a form of procedure and I let it stand alone, to others its not...its a "flow chart" and then they write it again, attach it, and then call it a procedure.

With so many variations, you gotta talk the same language before you get into interpretations, or at least be flexible. The committee is allowing you to present what works for you, just be ready to justify it.

J

Jim Biz

Barb: The more I think about this the more I tend to believe we are all pretty much on the same page here if we’re as you point out “willing to take the flexible viewpoint”. Number them - however, count them - however (or not) describe the size of the animal in numbers - paragraphs - pages “shall do’s” or your own other terms so to speak. Define it as a procedure/document/flowchart/controlled memo or just plain “document reference” --- if it satisfies your auditor….. However, address in writing all of the language in a fashion that that can be justified and proven during an auditing surveillance -- for your particular business.

Back to the original posted question: “How do they expect us to document this?” would everyone agree that we can do it “as we wish” as long as we write something addressing all the expectations that the standard contains in a reasonable manner??

I

isodog

But it makes a BIG difference if I create a procedure and control it than if I just write a memo about how I am going to do something like contract review.

doesen't it?
Dave

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by isodog:

But it makes a BIG difference if I create a procedure and control it than if I just write a memo about how I am going to do something like contract review.

doesen't it?
Dave
Answer? Controlled memo (quality record).

You document what you need to document. Check against requirement. Ask: Do I need anything else?

The point of all this is that you have to be able to explain how people know what to do. If the folks on the dock all know that chemical product X-1235f1-4QQ cannot be shipped unless it's at least 45 degrees F outside because if 'spoils' if it is exposed to temperatures of less than 38 degrees F, then you don't need a procedure. As an auditor I'll pull 2 to 4 aside and ask about this product. "It's January and you have to ship product X-1235f1-4QQ to Genrad. What is the procedure?" I'll expect something like "...product X-1235f1-4QQ is temperature sensitive. In January it's typically cold so we require a heater reefer." Auditor: What is the requirement?" Auditee: "...If it's less than 45 degrees F outside, we require a reefer." Auditor: "...How do you know when it's below 45 degrees out side?" Auditee: "...We have a thermometer outside on the dock." Now if the employee really wanted to impress s/he could say "...I check the weather channel in the mornings and know what the predicted weather is along the route. So even if it's 48 degrees here and I'm shipping to Toronto, I know Toronto is expecting 15 degrees - So I order a reefer..." I won't go into whether the wearther channel is calibrated, but I think you get the idea. Does the employee understand the requirement and does the employee understand the implications of a screw up with respect to product thermal stability.

Quickly, I want to say I define a procedure as a way of doing something whether it is documented or not documented. No more, no less. Again, I do not define 'documented' as requisite to a methodology being called a procedure. If you ask how I start my car, I tell you how I do it. It is a procedure. It is my procedure. May be I derived it from my owners manual (that thing the manufacturers ensure are comprehensable to total idiots {...Do not start the car while in gear...}). It is my procedure - I don't need a flow chart. I know how to do it.

Let's face it. There have to be some road maps. How far and how deep you document is a function of how well employees are trained with respect to aspects such as process complexity, employee turn over rate for the position and numerous factors.

You simply :confused: determine what systems you have to document while considering you company.

If you're 12 souls and your turnover rate is 0 for the last 10 years (I actually had a client like this - no kidding), every one knows what to do so documented systems is not a big deal. Auditor asks and everyone can tell exactly what to do.

If you have 20,000 employees you are going to have many master systems documented (road maps). And in any given facility with respect to any local process and also with respect to aspects such as employee turn over rate, you have to determine what has to be documented and what does not. And you have to be ready to explain why you document what you do document and why you do not document what you do not document.

What you do not document, you must train.

Get out of the 'required procedures' trap.

Comments welcome.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 22 April 2000).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Process Map vs. User Guide - Documenting business procedures Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
E Documenting forms, procedures or work instructions - Serial numbers? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Raffy Documenting the QM and 6 Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
DuncanGibbons Model-Based procedures and Architecting the QMS as a System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Scientific Operating Procedures For Sterilization Practices in India PSA/2012/1 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
DuncanGibbons Are the IQ OQ & PQ procedures applicable to the aerospace industry? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Procedures for Complaint Handling and Post Market Surveillance EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A Recall/Adverse event report procedures in Kuwait/Qatar/Kenya Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
S Use of "Shall" versus "Should" in Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
F Recommended practice for furnishing Technical Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.4.1 - Requirements for Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
M MDR Annex IX Chapter I, 2.2 (c) - Device identification procedures during manufacture. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R How to improve a Validation program and procedures to FDA (21 CFR part 820) & ISO13485 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
N ISO 9001: 2015 - Example standards policies, procedures, acknowledgements and checklists ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Quality System Processes without Documented Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
L IATF 16949 requirements for Product Safety Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M FDA News USFDA Final Rule – Medical Device Classification Procedures: Incorporating Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News The FDA Issues Final Rule on Medical Device Classification Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Assigning the Correct Procedures Applicable to Job Titles General Auditing Discussions 15
M Medical Device News FDA's Policies and Procedures Should Better Address Postmarket Cybersecurity Risk to Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Q MDSAP Regions and how to include in procedures Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Translate Procedures into Spanish Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J Nonconforming product procedures SOP help :) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M IATF Clause 8.4.2.2 - What procedures does this apply to? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Which ISO 9001 Clause applies to "Procedures are outdated"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
K Proto 6106 and 6106A Adjustment procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M ISO13485 Documentation packs (manual, procedures, forms etc) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S How many QMS processes and procedures? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Job Titles referenced in Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
Q Management control Procedures & Operational Control Procedures ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
S Risk based approach - Procedures already take a risk-based approach to QMS processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G ISO 17025 Calibration Laboratory Assessor's Common Questions and Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
S Are 2 Hard Copies of Procedures and Instructions Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I Procedures from recognized standards or specifications ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
I Concerning procedures within Quality Manual ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
S Language of procedures when operating in multiple countries ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A AS9100 Rev D - List of Required Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A AS9100D Quality Manual & Procedures needed Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
K AS9100:2016 (Rev. D) Required Procedures AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 19
A Special Procedures for Non Aerospace Customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Importance of Written Procedures in ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Is KPI in Process Valid if not supported by Procedures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V QMS / QSR - Reference to Framework - Templates - Procedures for Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
N International / Traceable Standards - Procedures for Calipers, Micrometers, Etc. ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R How to Control Videos as part of the QMS Documented Procedures and Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L Procedure Change Request Form - "ISO Procedures" Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5