'Process Approach' to ISO 9000 Internal Audits - Identify an 'owner' for each process

M

M Greenaway

'Process Approach' to internal audit

Have any of you guys adopted the 'process approach' to internal auditing ?

What does it mean ?

Can anyone provide an example of an audit undertaken in this new style ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

NYHawkeye - 2005

We are in the process of developing our new approach to audits for 9001:2000 - we have not done an acutal audit yet but I can tell you what is changing.

As part of our 2000 conversion we have identified an "owner" for each of our processes. The process owners are responsible for identifying the interfaces between their process and other processes. Metrics and improvement objectives are being written for both what happens inside the process and for the interfaces. While the internal audits will continue to review what is happening inside the process the empahsis will be shifted to the effectiveness of the interfaces.

This will be new for our company but should help emphasize to the process owners the importance of the links with the other processes and hopefully get interface issues on the table sooner for resolution.

Bottom line is that our audits will not be changing dramatically but the focus will be shifted to the interfaces.

M

M Greenaway

NY

How does your proposed internal audit programme address whether the process/interfaces in question comply with any applicable requirements of ISO9001:2000 ?

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
NYHawkeye,
This is about the same approach we are using. Then again we have been doing more of this kind of auditing all along. I have just included more of the people involved with the result of each process and emphsized audit trails to our internal auditors. It is finally starting to take shape as we audit in this new way. It is definitely a more efficient audit. If you are like us you will start finding all kinds of little problems you never knew existed.

Just my 2 cents worth!

N

NYHawkeye - 2005

M Greenaway said: How does your proposed internal audit programme address whether the process/interfaces in question comply with any applicable requirements of ISO9001:2000 ?
If I am understanding your question correctly I would say that our actual audit process is not really changing at all with regards to meeting the stated requirements of the standard. We will be auditing each process just as we always have against each of the requirements.

By changing our emphasis to the interfaces and tieing in with the reqirement for improvement objectives for each process we believe that we are addressing the "process approach" and will be in a position to better communicate to senior management what is working well with our processes. Top management expects each process owner to take care of the internals of their process but we hope to get them more involved in helping resolve interface issues.

So.....the detailed audit against the "hard" requirements of the standard is changing very little - we are modifying the approach to hopefully address some of the "soft" requirements of the new standard.

C

Carl Exter

I'm not sure that I understand the difference of process auditing. Auditing processes as opposed to what? :confused:

At our company I am responsible for scheduling the internal audits. So far this year we have audited design, production documentation, subcontractor (oops! "Supplier) evaluation. product returns, international customer support, corrective and preventive action (well, that one's pending due to an auditor on business trip), component release and approval, and test equipment control and maintenance.

Each of our audits is conducted using a checklist that I create, a couple of procedural flowcharts, and previous audit findings or corrective actions as appropriate. Most audits cross departmental boundaries.

Are we doing process auditing?!? Can anyone please enlighten me? I have more audits to schedule but now I'm leary of doing so until I understand what's going on with this in 9K2K.

Thanks in advance for your feedback! It's highly valued.

C

Carl Exter

P.S.

I know the standard states "The application of a system of processes within an organization, together with the identification and interactions and managing of these processes can be referred to as the 'process approach'." But I don't understand what this means, and their "Figure 1" diagram doesn't help.

Thanks.

A process has three basic components; Inputs, activities, outputs.
The audit should determine if we have the inputs to perform the activities to achieved the desired output.
Questions asked would relate to:
- equipment
- training, knowledge, skills,
- Performance indicators,
- Work Instructiond, Procedures, Methods.

I'm just starting this type of auditing, so it will be awhile before I can determine if it is effective.

N

NYHawkeye - 2005

Sam -

What approach are you taking to audit the inputs and outputs?

Auditing the activities themselves seems pretty straightforward and not much different than what we have done in the past. Auditing the ins and outs seems a little more challenging but perhaps where some real benefit can be gained.

Thanks

E

energy

Broad Scope

NYHawkeye said:

Sam -

What approach are you taking to audit the inputs and outputs?

Auditing the activities themselves seems pretty straightforward and not much different than what we have done in the past. Auditing the ins and outs seems a little more challenging but perhaps where some real benefit can be gained.

Thanks
Auditing the in and outs is the same as auditing procedures referenced in another procedure. The audit trail, so to speak. We still have to limit the scope of the audit or the auditor will be missing for days!:vfunny: :ko: :smokin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod Shortening processes complying with process approach ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M APQC PCF (Process Classification Framework) and ISO 9001 - Processes Based Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A How do we implement a Process Approach ISO 13485:2016 - Existing GMP QMS Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
WCHorn Quality Digest article on the Process Approach to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q ISO 13485, ISO 9001 QMS and FDA Requirements - Process vs. Compliance Approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Process approach to auditing ISO 9001:1994 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A A macro-process structure approach to auditing for ISO 9001:2000(8) General Auditing Discussions 19
P Process Approach - Implementing ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Barahir Will a one-process approach to ISO/TS 16949:2002 fly? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 67
G ISO 9001:2000 Registration, but no process approach and no measurable objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G ISO's Web Site - Guidance on the ISO 9001 Process Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A ISO 9001:2000 and the Process Approach vs. QS-9000 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
Marc ISO 9001:2000 Process Approach - What is it? Is it 'Real'? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 80
tony s What is the automotive process approach for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Does Japan accept the Bracketing Approach for Process Validation Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
P System Audit Approach - Application of VDA 6.3 - Process Auditing VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
B How do you approach the "Safe Launch" Process APQP and PPAP 17
M Process Approach: Types & number of processes required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
W Help explaining the need for the Process Approach AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q Introducing Process based approach on Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K How Can I Implement the Process Approach in AS9100C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Y What is a Process Approach Audit? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 8
G The future of the Process Approach to Auditing General Auditing Discussions 10
Q Process Approach & Continual Improvement Clauses and Evidence of its Effective Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M PFMEA (Process FMEA) - What is the best approach? FMEA and Control Plans 14
Q Process or Departments - Document Content and Managing the Process Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Process Approach Litmus Test - Procedure Titles ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
B Process Approach - Convert System of Documentation into System of Managed Processes Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
L Consultant not following Process Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
J Why Process Approach? Why not Process Method? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Process Approach to Auditing Quality Management System Internal Auditing 12
Q Process Approach - Special Focus? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Process Approach Challenge - Please Define what the 'Process Approach' is Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 48
I Poll: Should auditors promote the process approach? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 331
Howard Atkins Process Approach Requirement for Internal Audits in TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 46
K FMEA is the Best C.I approach for process improvement? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
A Can the Process Approach be used to audit Management Commitment and how? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
A Systematic history of process approach Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
apestate Is the Process Approach optional? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
D Calculating Cpk for Tubing Wall Thickness - Extrusion Process - How to approach? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
A Process Approach to Auditing Undocumented Processes at the System Level Internal Auditing 7
W What is meant by Process Approach Auditing and What questions should be asked? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 11
U Process based Audit Approach vs. Clause based Audit Approach Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 49
Anerol C Process Approach Training Material ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
W Process approach - Auditor issued OFI (opportunity for improvement) on clause 8.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
O Training on ISO9001 Process Approach Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
P What is the Process Approach in Payroll? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Implementing the Process Based Approach - Reality check needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Process Approach Audit Plan - What a Process Approach Audit Plan Looks Like Internal Auditing 19
H Process Approach - Apply it into the system procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0