Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Process Auditing in a Distribution Company

M

MARTINEZJ

Hello all, I am the internal auditor for my company and I was recently tasked with revamping our auditing process to be more robust then what it is. For the past three years our auditing criteria consisted of developing questions from work instructions onto a checklist and collecting objective evidence. I would follow the inputs & outputs throughout the year to determine the effectiveness, (ex.. Sales, Purchasing etc..) I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or examples of their auditing process that they would be willing to share with me. Please keep in mind that my company is a distributor and not a manufacture.

A

amit_rd

Hello all, I am the internal auditor for my company and I was recently tasked with revamping our auditing process to be more robust then what it is. For the past three years our auditing criteria consisted of developing questions from work instructions onto a checklist and collecting objective evidence. I would follow the inputs & outputs throughout the year to determine the effectiveness, (ex.. Sales, Purchasing etc..) I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or examples of their auditing process that they would be willing to share with me. Please keep in mind that my company is a distributor and not a manufacture.
Some more information about your objective and processes would help. But in general I would like to throw light on following things:

1. While revamping audit process you may like focus on enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of the audit process that includes planning, communication, execution, reporting, follow-up and effectiveness review.
2. You might need to review how much time you have been spending on the said steps and what were the things gone right and wrong - This way you may work on improvement of each step.
3. What you mentioned about checklists would also get addressed as you may like to know whether the audit with checklist is exhaustive enough or do you need to introduce NO Checklist methods ( I personally advocate the later)
4. Revamping audit process may also include provision of reporting and tracking software etc.

Look forward to receive more information from you to be more specific :)

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Just like your audit process, your company business (Distribution) is also happening by several of its processes interacting with each other. I am sure you have already recognized them, and identified them for your audit activity. If not, please get this done well and into your grips.
Each process must be planned, executed per the plan, checked if the executing met the requirement, and corrections made based on checks where correction is necessary.
Yes, I am talking about the PDCA in each of your distribution process.
When you come to execution per a plan, you needs inputs (procedural and material) which you use to DO something by a proper METHOD so as to deliver the output (materials and records) to the next process(es)
Here you will be concerned about the processes and their interactions, its sequences and methods adopted to do the activity.
So in a broader picture, you will recognize the PDCA activity at each process, and the input >> activity >> output at each process.
The Check and Act ... or the measurement and correction / corrective action which follows must be happening with every changing scenario of the business which is always a dynamic aspect.
Your internal audit (checklist based or otherwise) is to see how good the above said stuff is going about and must be done with focus on the macro picture of distribution business and with the micro picture of the audited process, in terms of how effective is the PDCA there and how activities are happening using the inputs provided and delivering outputs required effectively thereby meeting the macro picture.
When you go about this, you will find objective evidences both stated and documented, which becomes input to your audit. You will be here in a position to say after your audit, if the process is efficiently and effectively meeting its core objective and thereby meeting the company objective OR there are areas that needs to be re-visited to bring about changes. You can state this clearly with example(s) from the objective evidence where an action is required. This is an output of your audit process

Top Bottom