Process Audits for 1200 different kinds of Tube Sizes

A

ajay.khosla

Hello to all the quality gurus
I have one question and plz help me come out of this
In our industrywe have approx. 1200 different kind of tube sizes and i want to start doing process audit but the thing is this that if i will make diff. formats for all the dff. tube parts it will become very hectic
So, what should i do?

atitheya

Quite Involved in Discussions
What formats are you referring to? Are you asking for

a) formats to be used in process audits?

or

b) formats for product specifications?

or

c) some formats being used in the process?

As far as audits are concerned, I do not think you need different formats to audit different types of products. Your tube design will have all specifications recorded already.

A

ajay.khosla

All the tubes parts have different sizes at different stages of production.If i have to perform product audit of all the tubes,how should i make the format?
Like for example if i will do the process audit of say part no.2012,then seeing the control plan,i will make the format of it and will do the audit but to make formats of so many tube parts is an impossible thing.
Also, i cant make one universal format for all the tube parts because all have different processe specifications and also product specifications
Help is needed.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
It sounds like they just want to track their process data, not do process control. In that case I would prepare a generic format: part number, date, lot number, operator, OD, ID, and length. I would have a cross-reference sheet (if they do not have control plans) so I could determine quickly if it passed or failed. Under each data entry, I would have a box to indicate pass or fail. For a paper system, it would meet the needs.

Even if you want to track process specifications, refer to them generically in the same way.

An example of your data would help.

Now, if one want to do SPC, that is a different story - and that poses many more questions.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hi Ajay.
Even if my industry were to do 1,20,000 different tube sizes, I would simply audit the process that makes the tubes and not the products.
Do you also have 1200 different processes ?

D

Duke Okes

Many organizations have multiple products that go down the same process line. As others have said, develop a generic process audit checklist for the line, and use the control plan, etc. as a supplemental document and list the whatever control plan numbers/dates were used in the audit checklist during the audit.

A

ajay.khosla

Thanks everyone for their help.
One more question,i want to ask
We do erw(electric resistance welding) to make ubes but at that stage our process is not validated for ex for diff, thickness sizes,we need diff. power,dif. current etc. but the process is not validated.
How should i start?
Should i make samples first or can you suggest some other method to validate these things like current,voltage?

Last edited:

atitheya

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks everyone for their help.
One more question,i want to ask
We do erw(electric resistance welding) to make ubes but at that stage our process is not validated for ex for diff, thickness sizes,we need diff. power,dif. current etc. but the process is not validated.
How should i start?
Should i make samples first or can you suggest some other method to validate these things like current,voltage?

1. I am sure you are using an established process. If need be, document the process.

2. There must be determined parameters / criteria, such as, in your example, for a particular thickness you need to use certain particular power, current etc. These parameters must be documented.

3. Now, while working with the above process and parameters, you need to evaluate the effectiveness at the product stage, whether you are able to achieve the desired result or not. Once you find this effective for certain (this may vary depending upon your product) amount of product, you will be sure that the process and parameters are right. This will be self validation.

4. You may also have certain regulatory bodies / test labs in Chandigarh, Delhi or elsewhere (you will need to find out) who can also validate your process / product design.

Top Bottom