Process Capability Study for Electrostatic Powder Coating

sridharafep

Quite Involved in Discussions
Please give your views / suggestion. We have a painting process (electrostatic powder painting_semi automatic line_manual touchup and auto spray powder) for sheet metal components and the specification minimum coat thickness 70 microns and maximum 110 microns. We monitor this specification random inspection in a day and process is going on. Some days the coat thickness goes up or down and further feedback instruction given to the powder sprayer to control.

Now i would like to know is it necessary to check the process capability for this process? Is it worth spending time, in that case how can i proceed? As you know in this process the paint thickness at various area various and can't maintain say only 70 microns throughout area of the sheet.
In that case how sampling / inspection data can be collected for calculating the process capability. For your information we have more variants in components run in a batch itself (More than 50's of items having different profile)

Please give your views regarding. If any one have sample excel data sheet done - similar please let me have.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
Sridhar

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

gleclair

Since you know that there is veriation in coating, all I could say is test each sheet in 5 places (from high to low density areas) and post the average on your chart. Then run your process capability off of that.
I don't know if this would be the right way but this is what I would try.

Glen

M

mhozturk

Please give your views / suggestion. We have a painting process (electrostatic powder painting_semi automatic line_manual touchup and auto spray powder) for sheet metal components and the specification minimum coat thickness 70 microns and maximum 110 microns. We monitor this specification random inspection in a day and process is going on. Some days the coat thickness goes up or down and further feedback instruction given to the powder sprayer to control.

Now i would like to know is it necessary to check the process capability for this process? Is it worth spending time, in that case how can i proceed? As you know in this process the paint thickness at various area various and can't maintain say only 70 microns throughout area of the sheet.
In that case how sampling / inspection data can be collected for calculating the process capability. For your information we have more variants in components run in a batch itself (More than 50's of items having different profile)

Please give your views regarding. If any one have sample excel data sheet done - similar please let me have.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
Sridhar
Hello Sridhar,
Saying that the paint thickness goes up and down day to day, and also from area to area (I guess UNPREDICTABLY and UNINHERENTLY), I can easily say that your process is not mature yet (and also afraid that out of specification characteristics do exist in your final products, at least locally). First you have to identify the causes of these variations for elimination. These factors may be the pre-treatment processes' parameters prior to painting, the temperature of the baking furnace, the powder paint (material itself), position of the job pieces/paint guns' nozzles/line speed, etc. These of course are your profession to identify.

Anyhow, I can at this moment easily say that "to check the capability for this process" is definitely do NOT worth spending time. Don't forget: CAPABILITY MAKES NO SENSE FOR A PROCESS WHICH IS NOT IN A STATE OF STATISTICAL CONTROL.

Regards
Murat

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Anyhow, I can at this moment easily say that "to check the capability for this process" is definitely do NOT worth spending time. Don't forget: CAPABILITY MAKES NO SENSE FOR A PROCESS WHICH IS NOT IN A STATE OF STATISTICAL CONTROL.
Just a note of clarification: "Process capability" is not exclusively synonymous with any particular capability index, such as Cpk, where the statistical control requirement applies. In its generic sense of the term "process capability," all processes should be proven capable, with "capable" perhaps being defined differently for different processes. What the OP needs to do is define "capable," and then figure out a way to prove it.

M

mhozturk

Hi Jim,
I replied the thread thinking that our colleague were to evaluate capability for the purpose of SPC charts (maybe initiating the application). When I rechecked the threat, I found no info about such a purpose. Therefore my reply should be taken into consideration when we are talking about SPC chart initiating decision for such a process.

Regards
Murat

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Since you know that there is veriation in coating, all I could say is test each sheet in 5 places (from high to low density areas) and post the average on your chart. Then run your process capability off of that.
I don't know if this would be the right way but this is what I would try.

Glen
actually that would not be the right way. The average suppreses the actual amount of variation seen.

The real questions are: what is the part used for? what function does the paint perform (in other words how critical is the thickness across the part??)

Jim is also correct, the stability of the process is a critical first assessment - you must plot the variation in time sequence on a control chart first. Then if you have a stable process (and you can only tell if you plot the data) you can assess capability.

Darius

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think that the actual data could clearify the problem. Going Up or down is no description at all (you may expect to see it on normal variation of a stable process).
The data could be sampled on different parts and chart it as one single chart, but if a difference on different areas is expected, to chart it as one chart goes against "rational sampling". You have to use your knoledge to try charting parts that may behabe alike on the same chart.:frust:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ncwalker Process Capability Study - Aggregate vs. Individual Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
Q When to use Cpk or Ppk for a Process Capability Study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
D Process Capability Study which involves MMC (Maximum Material Condition) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
J Process Capability - Interview Case Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Process Capability Study using Variables Data (weight of the product) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Capability Study on a New Machining Process - Issues Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 40
A Process Capability study of CNC Machining Process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
J Process Capability Sheet for a short term 30 piece study needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B CNC test pieces for milling and turning - I need to run a process capability study General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Minumim number of parts to conduct the Process Capability Study APQP and PPAP 18
D Where can I find Process & Machine Capability study software? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
L IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design input - Process capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Y Process Capability for Non-Normal Data - Philosophical Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Process Capability in a High Precision Environment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
V Product Development - When to start calculating Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S Proving Process Capability of a Packing Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
V Process Capability for parameters with non-normal distribution. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
J Process Capability - How much percentage of tolerance? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
M How to determine Process Capability using Minitab 17 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Process Capability - Changing Limits to Improve Cpk or find Root Causes? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Long Term Process Capability from miltiple Machines and Fixtures Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E What Data do we need for Welding and Repair Process Capability? Six Sigma 1
K Calculating Capability of a process when data is skewed in the upper range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S What is the difference between Process Capability and Machine Capabilty Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
V How to Assess Process Capability at the Development or Optimization Phase Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
C Minitab Binomial Process Capability Analysis Chart Explanation Using Minitab Software 1
kedarg6500 Sample Size for Short Term & Long Term Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Is it the same process capability or performance in 8.2.3.1 and SPC? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E Binomial Process Capability Sample Size - Variables Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M On Subgroups in Control Charts and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N SPC and Process Capability Using a Romer Arm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Interpreting Process Capability results and ratios Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
J Go or No-Go Process Capability Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
S Process Capability with Negative Exponential Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
C Process Capability - Attribute Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
C Process Capability - Variables Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
A Cnpk (Non-Parametric Capability Analysis) to assess whether the Process is Stable Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
V Process Capability to reconfirm the Inspection Frequency Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Sample Size based on Process Capability Indices (Pp/Ppk)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 20
P Calculating Process Capability from Data of attached spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D How to measure Process Capability for Homogeneous Batch Manufacturing Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Burrs affecting measurements and Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
G Assessing Process Capability on Variation (Hardware Adjustment Mean Shift) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
D Calculating Upper-CL/Lower-CL and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
V Defining Subgroups and Importance of Subgroups in SPC and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6