Definition Process Capacity and Over Adjustment - Definitions

F

felixgh

Hi!

I need some good definitions for "process capacity" and "overadjustment".

Thank you in advance.

FG

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

Felix

I have not heard the term 'process capacity', do you mean 'process capability' ?

'Overadjustment' could be defined as adjusting a process to correct an 'out of specification' reading such that the process is then 'out of specification' at the other end of the specification range. i.e. if I am turning down a diameter on a shaft, and I monitor my process my measuring the shaft od I might measure 9.5mm against a spec of 10mm +/- 0.1mm and therefore adjust my machine offsets such that the next piece produced is 10.5mm - again out of spec.

This can occur more subtely where a decision is taken to adjust a process based on a process reading that is actually indicative of the capability of the process, and doesnt actually require the process to be adjusted. Correct use of run charts should eliminate such problems.

F

felixgh

M Greenaway,

Thanks for your reply. You are right, I mean 'process capability'.
¿Any definition?...

Felix

M

M Greenaway

Jim

Yes, this statement is so wooly I am sure it will be poorly implemented. I think it should be a statistical measure of process capability - this is what I believe is key to the 'process approach' loosely defined in ISO9001, i.e. not drawing pretty pictures of process models, but understanding process performance, variation and causes of variation, and utilising statistical methods for this.

Just my opinion though......

Process Capability

When in 8..2.3, ISO 9001 talks about demonstrating "the ability of the processes to achieve planned results" is it talking, do you think, of process capability as commonly understood?
Living in the shadow of the B3, this has always seemed to mean CpK and such. However, not all processes are suitable for this type of study. TS, goes as far as calling them “process studies” (8.2.3.1) which supports CpKs. On an ISO system, as you say Jim we need to think beyond process capability studies. The key, IMNSHO is to determine if your processes meet plans. Also, don’t just think production…consider all your processes that can affect customer satisfaction.

M

M Greenaway

Sam

Attribute data can equally be analysed statistically.

You would determine process capability by discovering how often your process produces visual defects.

no cability study processes

Unless I'm not understanding the process (in which case I'm certain you guys will help me out) Process Capability Studies do not do well with onesy twosey processes. I work with companies that build single complex products. Although, there can be some sub-process tracking (such as welding), much of the product is so unique that statistical application, much less CpK is difficult at best. Organizations might also have trouble with non-clause 7 processes, such as hiring, training, sales etc. Even 8.2.3.1 limits its application to manufacturing processes.

I think felixgh's original question was probably based on manufacturing, and process capability would definitely apply. That is unless the process is generating single units.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John Predmore Configuration Management as a process instead of a procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R PCBA process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Tagin Template or Checklist for Process Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
LostLouie Manufacturer divorced from Design process, is he justified in design process deficiencies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Outsourced process in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4