Process Change in a Laboratory - Start Date for new Procedure - Management Opinions

T

tedac

I am looking for advice on how to address the following: Our lab uses a procedure that is currently approved to test “specimens” that arrive in “runs” that consist of different numbers specimens and may take several days to complete. Currently, all specimens from the same run are processed following the same procedure. A new procedure will be introduced which will change the process and number of specimens that can be processed per run. The issue involves the start date of the new procedure and what to do with those runs currently being processed under the old procedure. Management wants to change everything over to the new procedure on a specific date, including those runs currently being processed, and make a notation of the change in the work log for those runs. As the quality manager, I would prefer start all new runs on the start date using the new procedure and let those runs that had already been started continue through completion using the previous procedure. I’m now getting push back from management. Am I wrong in my thinking? How can I make management understand?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Process Change in a Laboratory - Start Date for new Procedure - Management Opinio

Why is your preference where it is? You likely have some rationale behind that preference...what is it? What assumptions have you made...are they valid?
- Will data be affected? Will you get different results using the new method?
- What analysis later may be affected? Will the new procedure preclude comparison between 'before change' and 'after change' data?
- Why is interrupting an ongoing run a problem in your opinion?

Mgmt likely has a rationale behind their preference, and some assumptions.
- Less chance for error
- Easier to manage for the transition period if there is no transition period.
- Assume data is that same before and after
- Assume no issue with comparing data before and after.

You each have opinions on the 'best way'...what are the bases of those opinions? Any negotiation will be from the bases...not the opinions/conclusions.
Have you looked into what's behind the opinions...yours and theirs?

N

NumberCruncher

Re: Process Change in a Laboratory - Start Date for new Procedure - Management Opinio

Hi tedac

I will ignore the management issue. My question is about the analysis.

Will the change in procedure affect the analytical results?
If not, why does it matter how the change is carried out? The results will be the same either way.

If the change does affect the analytical results, you have a bigger problem than worrying about the paperwork. If the results depend on how long the samples take to get through the system, you need to find a better analytical method.

NC

T

tedac

Ninja ... Thanks for your response. Your questions are valid from both a QC and Mgmt view which makes the decision that more difficult. Although I am not able to disclose the specific type of work that our lab performs, I can tell you we aid multiple government agencies by forensically exploiting potential evidence obtained from various geographic areas across the globe. That said, my primary concern, and my rationale for not changing in mid-run, are the potential downstream consequences should one of these runs suddenly become an important issue that requires legal action by the government. In those circumstances, I do not believe it would do well under a third party review to have switched procedures in mid-run. In a typical forensic lab, once analysis has started on a case, the case would be worked to completion using the practices and procedures that were approved for use at the time the analysis was started. Then again, I am not dealing with your typical forensic cases and your response will have me revisit my generally accepted practices. Maybe under these circumstances, I need to be more open to modifying my view. Again, thanks for your response … it really helped my sit back and look at the issue through a different set of glasses.

T

tedac

After careful review of the issue, it was determined that the process change will not directly affect the results. It is more a management issue in how many samples can be processed per run vs. how many runs need to be processed per week/month. The % of positive results are low per run but the overall % positive increases with the increase in runs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FuzzyD ISO 13485 change in process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Change Management Process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
H Control of Change i.e. process and WI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Cleaning process center change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Tagin Template or Checklist for Process Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Software change control process and defect tracking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Y Informational Change control process - Major vs Minor change - Active class III medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
J Applying for 510K - What is a significant process change and what is not US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
G More on IATF 8.5.6.1.1 - Temporary Change of Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Sidney Vianna Proposed Change to 3rd Party Audit Process - Limiting Scope of Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 19
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.6.1.1 (Temporary Process Control Change) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
T Temporary Change of Process Controls - IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.5.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.6.1.1 - Temporary Change of Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
J Appropriate In-Process Monitoring Frequency for 2X per day Change Set-Up. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
J Change in our SharePoint Document Control Process - Is this ok? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Documents not controlled by the ECO (Engineering Change Order) process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Change Management, Configuration Management or Other Process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
D How to process Customer ECO's (Engineering Change Orders) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Example of Production Process Change having Significant Consequences AS9100C 7.5.1.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
T TS 16949 compliant Change Control Management Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T When is a Change Management Process required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
A Closing CARs (Corrective Action Requests) due to Process Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B IVD ANVISA Registration Process in Brazil and Registration Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
M Change Control Process - Deviation from Standard for Parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Change Point & Process Change - Differences Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A Implementing a change for a particular Process - Document & Change Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Process Change Notification (PCN) form to notify our customers of a change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
N Supplier Process Change Request Procedures, Forms and Flow Charts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Change Order Process - Stake holders not following through - Suggestions wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G Is Mistake Proofing (aka Poka Yoke) a Process Change? APQP and PPAP 12
L Process Maps - Change from Vertical to Horizontal Swimlanes - Visio Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S Design Change Drawing Reviews and Customer Approval Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K PCN Notice (Product or Process Change Notice) Content Requirements per JESD46C Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
A 510(k) Ownership Change - Is it painful or is it a pretty easy process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q Change Management Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
K Software Device "Urgent" Releases? Software Change Control Process IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
G Management of Change Process (OHSAS) - What would an Auditor expect to see? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
G Scope Change? Moving all molding process - ISO 9001 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
K Change Management written process... is this mandatory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Z Subcontractor Assessment - Change control process Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
9 ECR (Engineering Change Request) process - Please critique / review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
R Equipment Change or Process Change? Validation protocol for a planar freezer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Ajit Basrur Change in FDA Establishment Registration Fee process wef Oct 1, 2008 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
P Product vs. Process Change Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Procedure for "Customer Acceptance of a design or process change" Design and Development of Products and Processes 12