Process Charting Symbols - BS 4058:1987, ISO 5807-1985

I have been trying to find out if there is a standard for the symbols used in flowcharts and have found the following which may help some of you ...BS 4058:1987, ISO 5807-1985.

Mark John

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Laura - 2003

Hmm!

I know that there is some debate about what the symbols may mean although it seems to be agreed that a diamond is a'decision box' and that a square is indicative of the process flowing.

I thought most people used the symbols on the drawing toolbar in Word. If you hover your mouse over each symbol in the menu it tells you what the symbol means!

Lau

JodiB

Still plugging along
I use both Visio and Word for flowcharting, but prefer Visio because it is so much easier and has more capability. Although they both have a multitude of symbols that can be used, I limit my charts to two: a simple box that describes the step, and the document symbol.

This is because not everyone in my company knows or cares what each little symbol is supposed to mean and there really isn't a need to enlighten them. Everything can be adequately explained in the boxes.

I don't use "decision points" with yes and no paths. The main flow of the chart is the "yes" path - anything that deviates is simply a diversionary path out of the box where the difference is. So there are no question boxes.

This keeps things fairly clean and straightforward. Both for me, and for anyone reading the flowchart.

JodiB

Still plugging along
Carl,

Alternate actions just start a new path from the point where they branch off.

I'm attaching one of the early ones that I did. It's sort of rough but gives you an idea of what I mean.

I also use a cross-functional type of flowchart in Visio that has the actions listed all down the left side, all the departments or job functions across the top, and then I just put a shape into the column that corresponds to who's supposed to do the action.

For areas where decisions are made, I just don't ask the question. For the next step, you take whichever path fits. All I've really done is eliminate the question box because I thought it was redundant.

Attachments

JodiB

Still plugging along
Carl,

Well, I'm not sure how novel it is because this is my first experience with flowcharting ! I just did what made sense to me.

My linear ones have a grid - I think. I might not understand what you mean. But it is essentially a table with cross-secting lines and the symbol goes into the the cross-section.

I use the same symbol no matter what is being done. All the symbol is doing is marking who does what.

A

Al the Elf

The difference...

My training sessions have always said flowcharts go generally from top to bottom, and process maps go from left to right.

I don't get too worried about the difference, my primary goal is to make it clear to people what they're supposed to do.

Cheers, Al.

S

Silbil

more flowchart symbols?

I sometimes want to use more elaborate symbols than the standard ones, and would like to find the correct ones to use. I use Visio, which has quite an array, but does not give clear definitions for them (orelse I haven't found the way to find out more).

Does anyone know of a website that gives a detailed glossary of standard/official flowchart symbols WITHOUT trying to sell their software?

Thanks in advance for your help

Silbil

Process map and flowcharts.

Martin asked:
Anyone know the difference between a flowchart and a process map ?
This was discussed on the Process Mapping thread in this section. Here is what I said in that thread.

------------------------------
When working with a client and mapping their processes, I begin with a circle. On the left side, I list the obvious inputs, on the right, I list obvious outputs. Then, I add the points to the Cause and Effect diagram. We then begin listing all of the corresponding inputs from the CAED. It can be quite eye opening!

The process flow chart indicates the activities and decisions that occur during the process. This could be what goes in the center of the circle. The flow chart would show the steps in the process.

Both are different, because they look at different things. But they support each other.

------------------------------

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I use VISIO. I set up a template using my favorites, and tagged them with my definition of what to use them for. Like a star indicates a quality record, a computer is electronic entry, rectangle is the process step, a CD icon links to video clips or other reference documents.... a circle with a number ties to another process within that fc, a slanted process block is an input. I use note symbols for lists/choices, etc. and a triangle for decision points and based on where I am, i come up with an icon for the output.... Basically its simple common sense. As long as you are consistent, you make the rules. The flow chart police won't come arrest you, do what makes sense. Then train everyone so they all understand whats going on.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Process Control / Control Charting Procedure Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Charting the 4 M's - How to turn these into a process measurement? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
A How to do Process Flow Charting in MS Word Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 15
John Predmore Configuration Management as a process instead of a procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R PCBA process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Tagin Template or Checklist for Process Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
LostLouie Manufacturer divorced from Design process, is he justified in design process deficiencies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Outsourced process in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0