Process Control Plan Content: Relationship to PFMEA and Flow Diagram

D

djmoran

Process Control Plans

I'm working on control plans for our qs registration. I have a couple of questions -
1. Do Process Control Plans need to list all controls?
2. Does every step in the Process Flowchart need to show up on the Control Plan?
3. In relation to the PFMEA, if something with a high severity has a low RPN number because the occurence is low or the detection is high, does it need to be in the Control Plan?

Thanks for any help.
DJ

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
1. Do Process Control Plans need to list all controls?

Yes.

2. Does every step in the Process Flowchart need to show up on the Control Plan?

What specific step do you think might not be needed? A 'MOVE' step?

3. In relation to the PFMEA, if something with a high severity has a low RPN number because the occurence is low or the detection is high, does it need to be in the Control.

Is it a critical characteristic?

1. Thanks, it's a good thing we put them in already.

2. Yes, sort of - Transfer from Tank A to Tank B type stuff.

3. I think I'm confused on the meaning of the word 'critical'. Using the model in the APQP book, does it affect fit/function or does it have any safety/legal considerations - I can comfortably say no. Are there process controls that we have in place to address the high RPN's - yes.

Thanks for your help. This is the first time I've worked with Control Plans and sometimes I feel like I'm unneccesarily wrapping myself around an axle. I think you have an excellent forum here and find it a great resource.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
2. Yes, sort of - Transfer from Tank A to Tank B type stuff.

Pipe or intermediate containers?

Typically the requirement is for 'critical characteristics' to be on the control plan. Critical characteristics are determined by your customer (if any) and by you. You might want to do a forum search for CRITICAL CHARACTERISTIC for some threads on these. Unfortunately there is no black and white here as to what you consider critical characteristics. Your PFMEA (and sometimes the DFMEA) should lead you to what characteristics are critical. And some are just 'common sense' -- Paint colour would be one in the paint industry as an obvious example.

Bottom line is if you are seriously confused about what may or may not be critical characteristics you may want to find a consultant in your industry and get him/her to come in for a day to discuss your thoughts. Or maybe there's someone here with industry experience who can help you out...

Any takers??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
L Control Plan - Multiple Process Steps FMEA and Control Plans 8
T IATF 16949 Control Plan and Process Monitoring Requirement(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Software for linking Process Flow Diagram, Process FMEA and Control Plan APQP and PPAP 9
O Process Startup Only items in a Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
C List Error Proofing in the Process FMEA or the Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q Chrysler required FMEA and Control Plan Document Audit Forms and Process Audit Check FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Process Flow Diagram -> PFMEA -> Control Plan Linkage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
F Please review my Process Flow / PFMEA / Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 12
V Supplier?s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval? FMEA and Control Plans 5
A Setup Controls in a Process Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
B Control Plan example and Process Sheet template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
R Control Plan Flow compared to Process Flow Diagram APQP and PPAP 6
L Contents of PPAP Control Plan - Product & Process Characteristics? FMEA and Control Plans 10
Y Control Plan or Process Management Plan - Are they different? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Robots in a Production Line - Control Plan and Process FMEA Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
J Sampling Strategy for Process Control - How to develop a Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
T Current Process Controls Prevention - Process FMEA before Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Process Diagram - FMEA - Control Plan Software APQP and PPAP 5
B Need a Process Flow Diagram, Control Plan and PFMEA for Automotive Wiring Harness FMEA and Control Plans 10
Q Does every Process Control listed in FMEA have to be listed in the Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 4
K Where to put Product and Process Characteristics on the Control Plan. FMEA and Control Plans 1
P FMEA and Control Plan for Plastic Injection Moulding/Painting Process FMEA and Control Plans 13
P Process vs. Product on Control Plan - Weld a nut attachment on the subassembly FMEA and Control Plans 3
G Manufacturing -> Warehouse -> Tier 1/OEM - Process flow, PFMEA, & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 9
B Customer keeps rejecting my Process Control Plan (PCP) FMEA and Control Plans 6
Q FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) and Control Plan Process Diagrams FMEA and Control Plans 3
Kales Veggie Informational How to develop a Control Plan from a PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 55
S Reaction Plan for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J The real Link between a PFMEA (Process FMEA) and the Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 19
I Assembly Process Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Connections between PFMEA (Process FMEA) and the Control Plan. FMEA and Control Plans 20
D FMEA and Control Plan Characteristics Column - Product / Process Information FMEA and Control Plans 2
S AS9103 Process Control Plan - MS Word .doc File Forms attached AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
ScottK Definition Copy Exact - Committment to abide by a Process Control Plan without deviation Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 34
C Process Flow Diagram, FMEA and Control Plan Attached - Please Review FMEA and Control Plans 6
B Should 1st Piece Process be a Control or a Line Item in the Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B Linking: Process Flow - 'Common' Process FMEAs - Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 11
B Links between Process Flow, Process FMEA and Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
R Layered Audits - Where to tie the layered audit process back to FMEA & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
V No "Process Owner" for the Control Plan - Who to cite in a corrective action? FMEA and Control Plans 10
Manix Automotive Sampling Plans. HELP! Working on an Automotive process control plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R Dock audits on Process FMEA, Control Plan and Process Flow Diagram FMEA and Control Plans 5
J Software which links Process FMEA (PFMEA), Control Plan and Flow Chart Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
K Process Control Plan and Inspection Plans - Receiving and final inspection required? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
A How to establish linkage between specs/control plan/FMEA/process flow? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Same Process Different Part - Control Plan, PFMEA, etc. All the Same APQP and PPAP 9
S Support Process - Procedure or Control Plan or ??? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M More Control Plan Questions - Control Plans by Process FMEA and Control Plans 9
A Work Instructions - Process Control and a SOR (Set-up, Operate, and Reaction) Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4