Process Flow Chart Symbols

C

charliekh

Hi all
It is great that I can learn a lot here. I am now learning flow chart in detail, but I am confused that the symbol of circle has two meaning in different materials (Flowcharting basics, Advanced qualtiy management tools, both two material are downloaded from here), respectly represent connector and inspection. My question now is which one is right? does it not the standaized meaning? Can anybody explain it to me? Thanks in advance! :thanx:

T

TamTom

Re: The symbol of Process flow chart

Hi all
It is great that I can learn a lot here. I am now learning flow chart in detail, but I am confused that the symbol of circle has two meaning in different materials (Flowcharting basics, Advanced qualtiy management tools, both two material are downloaded from here), respectly represent connector and inspection. My question now is which one is right? does it not the standaized meaning? Can anybody explain it to me? Thanks in advance! :thanx:

Hello,

it's quite difficult to get what you are asking for, because we don't know the downloads exactly.

But as far, as I get it, you talk about two different kind of Process Flows, the one for the control plan, there is also no standard, but a very common understanding of these flows. Fpr business process flows for the ISO 9001 there are no standard, there is the concept of the BPMI, where the small circle is for sure a connector, but that model don't consider Inspections. I for example work with a software that only knows 3 different symbols, there is no cycle at all. It is yours to define the symbols.

hope that helps.

Regards,

TamTom

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Good points from Tam and attachment from Marc.

Also check Wikipedia reference-linkflowchart

ISO standards exist but for specific purposes. Example: ISO 10628: Flow Diagrams For Process Plants - General Rules

Last edited:
C

charliekh

Re: The symbol of Process flow chart

Hello,

it's quite difficult to get what you are asking for, because we don't know the downloads exactly.

But as far, as I get it, you talk about two different kind of Process Flows, the one for the control plan, there is also no standard, but a very common understanding of these flows. Fpr business process flows for the ISO 9001 there are no standard, there is the concept of the BPMI, where the small circle is for sure a connector, but that model don't consider Inspections. I for example work with a software that only knows 3 different symbols, there is no cycle at all. It is yours to define the symbols.

hope that helps.

Regards,

TamTom

Dear Tom
Thanks for your answer. I try to clarify my question. See the following which are originated from these two material.

Originated form:Flow charting basics
Circle. A circle indicates that a particular step is connected to another page
or part of the Flowchart. A letter placed in the circle clarifies the continuation.

Originated from:Advace quality management(from Boeing company)
Symbol Meaning Example
Cicle Inspection Part tested by QA
Forms audited
Buyoff

C

charliekh

Dear Marc,
Thanks for your link. Actually I have downloaded this material which is also one I learned from this material, from which that the circle represent connector. My confusion is from another source "Advance quality management tools" the circle is the meaning inspection. Both two are right? How to explain this to employees when deliver process flow chart course?

harry

Trusted Information Resource
...............How to explain this to employees when deliver process flow chart course?

Since no standards exist, there are therefore many ways of doing it:

1. Don't change for the sake of changing - use what had been practiced in your organization all the while unless there are problems.

2. Keeps things simple especially for the operations people/operators. A typical flowchart used in Quality management systems may use anything like 4-5 types of symbols only.

3. The key is users know what each symbol represents.

C

charliekh

Since no standards exist, there are therefore many ways of doing it:

1. Don't change for the sake of changing - use what had been practiced in your organization all the while unless there are problems.

2. Keeps things simple especially for the operations people/operators. A typical flowchart used in Quality management systems may use anything like 4-5 types of symbols only.

3. The key is users know what each symbol represents.

Hi Harry,
Thanks for your answer. Now I know that it actually no standards exist but should be standardized in one organization. :thanx:

Top Bottom