Process Flow Chart vs. Process Flow Diagram? Pages 38-39 in the APQP Manual

A

AirAusquin

Hello again. While studying the Control Plan form at pages 38-39 in the APQP book, the question arose.

Description for field 15 (Part/Process Number) mentions the Process Flow Chart
Description for field 16 (Process Name/Operation Description) mentions the Process Flow Diagram

It is this just a lack of homogeneity by the writers of the APQP book or there are really subtle differences that make a Process Flow Chart different than a Process Flow Diagram?

I am aware that process flow chart/diagram/description/whatever can have many variations/forms/styles/etc. Additionally, my language is Spanish so we end up with all kinds of translations for technical names in our industries.

Thanks again for your brilliant site!

Alejandro Irausquin
Venezuela

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Re: Process Flow Chart vs Process Flow Diagram???

Hello again. While studying the Control Plan form at pages 38-39 in the APQP book, the question arose.

Description for field 15 (Part/Process Number) mentions the Process Flow Chart
Description for field 16 (Process Name/Operation Description) mentions the Process Flow Diagram

It is this just a lack of homogeneity by the writers of the APQP book or there are really subtle differences that make a Process Flow Chart different than a Process Flow Diagram?

I am aware that process flow chart/diagram/description/whatever can have many variations/forms/styles/etc. Additionally, my language is Spanish so we end up with all kinds of translations for technical names in our industries.

Thanks again for your brilliant site!

Alejandro Irausquin
Venezuela
I use them interchangeably. I very seldom use the term "chart". It is called a Process Flow Diagram (PFD) in my documentation and both columns of the Control Plan are covered in the PFD.

The only difference I can think there might be is that the Process Flow Chart may not employ extra verbiage that might be included in a Process Flow Diagram (for instance: the Delphi format for the Process Flow Diagram includes columns that point out the product and process characteristics produced and monitored at each process step. However, it also includes the two columns you mention.)

Help any???

A

AirAusquin

Thanks Bill!
The basic difference you point out is what I had in mind.

I was not familiar with the Delphi PFD format. I searched the attachements list and didn't find an example. A google search didn't help neither. (I finally found it at the suppliers site)

Thanks again

Alejandro

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

You're welcome. If you find out something different, please come back and share the information.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
K Vigilance process flow chart EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D ISO 9001 Design Process Flow Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S US FDA PMA (Pre-Market Approval) Process Flow Chart Example Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
L Process Flow Chart for manufacturing of Light Switch requested Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Incoming Source of Variation & Source of Variation in Process Flow Chart IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Crisis Management Process and Procedure or Flow Chart example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Sales Order Process Flow Plan (Flow Chart) Steps help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Requirements for Sequence Diagrams & Process Flow Chart for each Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Process Flow Chart is a Work Procedure or a Work Guide, or a Work Instruction Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 28
C Process Flow Chart Symbols Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
M Risk Analysis using FMEA Process Flow Chart - Health Care Information System FMEA and Control Plans 6
R Process Flow Chart Step - Timing between Process Steps Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S Example Flow Chart of Qualification of Process wanted APQP and PPAP 3
H Customer Complaint Process Flow Chart example needed IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Process Flow Chart Template example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
B Looking for a manufacturing process flow chart example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Need help with the process flow chart on my 4th edition PPAP! APQP and PPAP 5
Z Process Flow Chart - Potential sources of variation included? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B ESD Work Instruction or ESD Process Flow Chart - Seeking example Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
P Flow chart vs. Process map vs. Value stream map - What are the differences? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Flow Chart and Process Mapping Software - Visio vs. Smartdraw Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
J Software which links Process FMEA (PFMEA), Control Plan and Flow Chart Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
D Simple process flow chart for a manufacturing operation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Claes Gefvenberg Internal Audit Process Flow Chart - Please Review Mine and Comment! Internal Auditing 27
J APQP Checklists - Process Flow Chart Checklist, PFMEA Checklist, Floor Plan Checklist APQP and PPAP 11
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M What are the differences between "Process Flowchart form" and "Process Flow Diagram form"? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N Process Flow diagram steps for inspection and packaging APQP and PPAP 4
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.5.2 e) - Manufacturing Process Flow Charts & Layout IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Which Symbols are used in Process flow diagrams? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Can the BOM in SAP be used in lieu of process flow diagram? APQP and PPAP 7
S How can I make a Process Flow Diagram for APQP process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Software for linking Process Flow Diagram, Process FMEA and Control Plan APQP and PPAP 9
N How Can I Simplify This Process Flow? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
A 8D Process Flow IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Process Flow Diagram -> PFMEA -> Control Plan Linkage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
F Please review my Process Flow / PFMEA / Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 12
T Company Departmental Process Procedures and Flow Diagrams ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V ECR/DCR Process Flow - What changes require an ECR vs. a DCR Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Coding System Process Flow for Order Tracker documents (Job Traveller) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Depicting Communication Flow Gaps between Departments/Process Steps on a Process Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
T Request for a Design Control Procedure or Process Flow for HVAC Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Complaint Process flow: Need a generic definition which would flag an "MDR" Customer Complaints 7
R Control Plan Flow compared to Process Flow Diagram APQP and PPAP 6
C AS9102 Process Flow Help AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
R Work Instructions versus Process Flow Charts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8