Process Flow Numbering

G

Gladys

We use a shop traveler on our production floor as well as the Control Plan. Our auditor is telling us this shop traveler needs to be "number keyed to the process flow diagram". QS9000 also has an "as approriate" in this statement. Who determines what is appropriate or is this required?

S

Steven Truchon

We had a similar situation during a recent audit. We have four operating documents on our production floor, a traveler, a control plan, process flow, and move tickets for sub-lot identification. The sequence numbers dont always match from document to document, but the necessary order of operations is crystal clear. The use of our process flow is simply as a map to support what the traveler directs.
If the process and sequence of operations is obvious and clearly defined and understood by all, to the point where there exists no risk of manufacturing and shipping nonconforming product as the result of misunderstood documents, the number sequence matching criteria from doc to doc is your option, not a requirement by the standard. If your system meets that base criteria, I would debate the auditors claim. Ask yourself what the resulting improvement will be by matching numbers. If it provides a measurable improvement that justifies the cost, I say go for it. If not, then...

I have been learning that many auditors want everything in nice neat order with all the dots connected. If I get distracted by this I will end up wasting valuable resources to satisfy an individuals preference with no value added to my system.

Regards,
Steve Truchon

[This message has been edited by Steven Truchon (edited 12 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Steven Truchon (edited 12 August 2000).]

Top Bottom