Process flowcharts

mvest80

Starting to get Involved
Just a quick question, are flowcharts required for every written process/procedure? Or can a flowchart be substituted for a written procedure?

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I am going to add: Since this is in the ISO9000 forum, my answer only applies to ISO9001. Other standards may actually require flowcharts (I avoid automotive and medical for a reason :) )

mvest80

Starting to get Involved
I am going to add: Since this is in the ISO9000 forum, my answer only applies to ISO9001. Other standards may actually require flowcharts (I avoid automotive and medical for a reason :) )

I got you.

I'm trying to get some things cleared up. I feel like my work is going overkill on work instructions. As far as I can tell, work instructions are only necessary for 'value-added' operations, correct? Not all jobs require a process, but a procedure can suffice in place of a work instruction if you deem one important enough?

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
work instructions are only necessary for 'value-added' operations

I would not agree. The way I look at it, work instructions are only necessary if, well, they're necessary to ensure a process is done correctly each time. This could be for order of steps (if that's critical) or if a process is so complex it needs to be broken down. I can also use work instructions to provide additional information about steps (for reference).

I see a lot of companies that take the "more is better" approach, documenting everything they do. Employees can get overly-burdened and start ignoring the plethora of documents.

One other thing: why are YOU writing work instructions (assuming you're not the process owner)? I think this is another mistake companies make, having someone (typically in 'quality') write work instructions that they're not actively involved in (often because someone other than the process owner thinks a WI is needed).

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
No flowcharts are specified in the ISO 9000 series.

Procedures (may include instructions) are meant to be documented sufficient for competent workers to plan and operate each process that is determined to be necessary to fulfill requirements.

Tasks within any of these processes may be mistake-proofed so they cannot be done wrongly and require little documentation.

Documentation may include: software code, flowchart, text, photographs, drawings, etc.

The documented parts of many management systems comprise deployment flowcharts linked to the necessary instructions and forms.

Allow your management system documentation to grow detail as and where needed but also keep it pruned of unnecessary detail.

mvest80

Starting to get Involved
I would not agree. The way I look at it, work instructions are only necessary if, well, they're necessary to ensure a process is done correctly each time. This could be for order of steps (if that's critical) or if a process is so complex it needs to be broken down. I can also use work instructions to provide additional information about steps (for reference).

I see a lot of companies that take the "more is better" approach, documenting everything they do. Employees can get overly-burdened and start ignoring the plethora of documents.

One other thing: why are YOU writing work instructions (assuming you're not the process owner)? I think this is another mistake companies make, having someone (typically in 'quality') write work instructions that they're not actively involved in (often because someone other than the process owner thinks a WI is needed).

I personally only write instructions for operations I'm familiar with, it's up to a manager or their employees to write instructions for their department and submit them to me. Right now, they're wanting to do work instructions for trivial tasks that aren't necessarily a job - especially not a critical one. I agree with less is more, and I'm trying to find a way to simplify our documents for the future. Thank you for your input.

mvest80

Starting to get Involved
No flowcharts are specified in the ISO 9000 series.

Procedures (may include instructions) are meant to be documented sufficient for competent workers to plan and operate each process that is determined to be necessary to fulfill requirements.

Tasks within any of these processes may be mistake-proofed so they cannot be done wrongly and require little documentation.

Documentation may include: software code, flowchart, text, photographs, drawings, etc.

The documented parts of many management systems comprise deployment flowcharts linked to the necessary instructions and forms.

Allow your management system documentation to grow detail as and where needed but also keep it pruned of unnecessary detail.

I'm glad you said this, thanks.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi mvest80, whether they are required...they tend to complement each other..the graphic is further explained and amplified by the written procedure, lending increased clarity.

hope this helps
optomist1

Top Bottom