Process for Approving Personnel Making Decisions - AS9100 Clause 8.3

A

aeroqual

What will the auditor be looking for regarding the approval process for personnel with authority to disposition nonconforming material? Will the resumes of the those personnel authorized be satisfactory? What other methods can be used to support this requirement?

Thank You,
Rob

D

Duke Okes

Re: Clause 8.3 Process for Approving Personnel making decisions

Primarily only the procedure for NCM. Authority would be spelled out there.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

What will the auditor be looking for regarding the approval process for personnel with authority to disposition nonconforming material? Will the resumes of the those personnel authorized be satisfactory? What other methods can be used to support this requirement?

Thank You,
Rob

I believe the paragraph is talking about: The Procedure must define the criteria, responsibility and disposition of nonconforming material.

I don't think it is touching base on the specific qualifications of a group of people that perform, if authorized, dispositioning of nonconforming material. But, I could be wrong.

There are others that might have some better definition of 8.3 of AS9100.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

What will the auditor be looking for regarding the approval process for personnel with authority to disposition nonconforming material?
Like the standard states, the auditor will ask you what is the PROCESS in place for approving the actual people dispositioning nonconforming products. Depending on the size of the organization, complexity of the products, etc., your MRB process can be either simple, complex and anything in between. For example, let's assume that your procedure states that nonconforming product has to be dispositioned by, and with concurrence of representatives from both Quality Engineering and Design Engineering. But if your product can include different disciplines, e.g., aerostructures, electromechanical assemblies, avionics, etc, how do you ensure that the right people, with the appropriate knowledge is involved with the review process?
What other methods can be used to support this requirement?
After defining the process used to approve the personnel, create a matrix per product line, commodity, etc... with the names of the people authorized to disposition the products.

Obviously, if work for a small organization, the process could be totally different.

A

adirondackman

I'm confused on this one too. We're writing our AS9100 procedures, and I'm not sure how to address the clause in the standard that says the procedures shall define... "the process for approving personnel making these decisions." Anyone have any words of wisdom on how they've handled this? My initial thought was that qualifications spelled out in job descriptions might help meet this requirement... but I'm not so sure, and not sure how we'd word that in the procedure.

Randy

Super Moderator
I'm confused on this one too. We're writing our AS9100 procedures, and I'm not sure how to address the clause in the standard that says the procedures shall define... "the process for approving personnel making these decisions." Anyone have any words of wisdom on how they've handled this? My initial thought was that qualifications spelled out in job descriptions might help meet this requirement... but I'm not so sure, and not sure how we'd word that in the procedure.

It's handled through the "COMPETENCY" process which is a requirement for all who may have an effect on product quality and ultimately customer satisfaction (p.s. This doesn't mean training, it means "Competency" as defined in ISO 9000:2005 and which is a very misunderstood and poorly developed process in many organizations)

Last edited:
J

Jeff Frost

8.3 requires that process for controlling nonconforming product “shall be defined (describe) in a documented procedure. The standard continues that within the procedure you must describe (define) the responsibility for the review and who has the authority for making the disposition of nonconforming product.

Keep the procedure simple as possible but make direct statements when needed. If you describe (define) the responsibility and authority for addressing nonconforming product poorly you will not meet the requirements of the standard. Example:

Poor to Bad: “The responsibility and authority for addressing nonconforming product for MRB is quality or engineering”. This description lets anyone in quality or engineering make the decision.

Better: “The responsibility and authority for addressing nonconforming product rests jointly with the Design Engineer for the product in question and Quality Engineer in charge of MRB”. This example makes a clear statement that the Design Engineer and Quality Engineer are authorized to make the decision jointly.

The procedure also needs to describe the process for involving the customer and what triggers their involvement. Usually, but not always, the involvement of the customer is the result of contract requirements, product designed by the customer or decision related to regarding of the product or repairing of the product.

Anerol C

Trusted Information Resource

After defining the process used to approve the personnel, create a matrix per product line, commodity, etc... with the names of the people authorized to disposition the products.

Hi to All!
Does any body have a matrix that would like to share, I'm looking for something to implement in the company that I'm working on. The current procedure states that disposition will be made between production, quality and engineering, but we are looking for someone who approves disposition, so I'm wondering who of the three has the authority to do it. I have seen lately that dispositon of product is being changed several times from scrap to rework or viceversa (it seems that they are not sure about what to do), I'm QMS Coord. and I would like to create a matrix as suggested in this thread but if you have something to share I will appreciate it.

Thank you.
AC :thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom