SBS - The best value in QMS software

Process for closing complaint records after a period of inactivity?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Another thread to throw out there for discussion...

Going through our complaint records, I've realized that many of them have been open for some time, pending response and/or decision from the customer.

As such, I'd like to revise our complaint-handling system procedure to provide allowance for closing these records if customers become unresponsive.

So, open to discussion:
  1. Is this acceptable in the medical device industry? I know it's common practice in a lot of general consumer-product companies, but I'm concerned that closing out records simply due to customer unresponsiveness may be inappropriate for medical devices. Regulations (ISO13485, FDA QSR), don't seem to indicate either way...
  2. If practiced, what is an appropriate length of time to wait? I'm thinking wording something like: "if no response from customer within 4-weeks, in which period attempts were made to contact the customer, then the complaint record can be closed." (though in general consumer companies, I've seen this period be a low as 72 hours)

Love to hear how others handle this... :read:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Another thread to throw out there for discussion...

Going through our complaint records, I've realized that many of them have been open for some time, pending response and/or decision from the customer.

As such, I'd like to revise our complaint-handling system procedure to provide allowance for closing these records if customers become unresponsive.

So, open to discussion:
  1. Is this acceptable in the medical device industry? I know it's common practice in a lot of general consumer-product companies, but I'm concerned that closing out records simply due to customer unresponsiveness may be inappropriate for medical devices. Regulations (ISO13485, FDA QSR), don't seem to indicate either way...
  2. If practiced, what is an appropriate length of time to wait? I'm thinking wording something like: "if no response from customer within 4-weeks, in which period attempts were made to contact the customer, then the complaint record can be closed." (though in general consumer companies, I've seen this period be a low as 72 hours)

Love to hear how others handle this... :read:
I work for a company that supplies plastic for medical device manufacturers.

This is just my opinion based on my experience, but I see no problem with closing complaints after a period of time where there is no actions. In fact, I have had to close out complaints for that reason before.

Why keep following up over and over and wasting your time tracking a potentially "dead" complaint?

I use a time frame of 30 days. If I dont hear anything for that amount of time, the complaint gets closed out and scanned into our system.

If the customer suddenly decides to further the investigation / complaint, simply re-open the complaint.

Just my :2cents:

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Why keep following up over and over and wasting your time tracking a potentially "dead" complaint?
I guess my concern has to do with the implications for regulatory reporting, and product NC records.

I could easily foresee an email correspondence as follows:
CUSTOMER: "The device we bought 2 years ago fell off the table during a session and broke."
COMPANY: "How did it happen? Was it secured properly? What is the serial number? Was anyone hurt? The warranty is expired, so we'd have to charge for servicing."
CUSTOMER: (no reply...)

In this example, we'd just have to use our "best guess" as to reportability determination, and have insufficient details to make any determination as to product non-conformance.

I agree, that it makes no sense to keep records open indefinitely if customers become unresponsive.

But open to discussion is: What is the (generally) expected level of diligence you should document in terms of trying to pry details from the customer? (e.g. 1 week with no attempts, 30 days with one attempt, 2 months with multiple attempts....etc.?)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Closing CARs (Corrective Action Requests) due to Process Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C In-process inspection - Tooling and assembly lines for automotive companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Efficacy of an IT process after a cyber attack ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Riveting - special process Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
M Material incoming to the production process reflected in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 5
A API Spec Q1 Purchasing Process - Supplier Reevaluation based on Supplier Risks 5.6.1.4 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
B Handling lower detection limits for SPC and process performance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Approval Process for Disinfectant Sanitizers in Dubai Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
D Measurables for Plastic Injection molding process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Cleaning process center change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Z Rapid audit template for plastic parts manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
R Inspection and Work order process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T ISO 13485:2016 Clauses related to process matrix ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A How to reduce the process SPC monitoring Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
John Predmore Configuration Management as a process instead of a procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R PCBA process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Tagin Template or Checklist for Process Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
LostLouie Manufacturer divorced from Design process, is he justified in design process deficiencies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Outsourced process in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8