Process Identification - Sub-Processes for Project Management

S

sophiacarballo

Dear all,

I have been trying to indentify processes in our firm and my supervisor has given me the following sub processes for Project Mangement:

1. Prepare agenda for Project Management Meeting
2. Chair Project Management Meeting
3. Write minutes with action items
4. Follow-up of pending action items and of missing SOP # 001 deliverables
5. Archive all SOP # 001delieverables, PM documents and records in ePHF and in prepare PHF
6. Check completeness of all SOP # 001 deliverables.

Would you call these sub processes or not

Thanks for you help

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Re: Process identfication

I have been trying to indentify processes in our firm and my supervisor has given me the following sub processes for Project Mangement:

1. Prepare agenda for Project Management Meeting
2. Chair Project Management Meeting
3. Write minutes with action items
4. Follow-up of pending action items and of missing SOP # 001 deliverables
5. Archive all SOP # 001delieverables, PM documents and records in ePHF and in prepare PHF
6. Check completeness of all SOP # 001 deliverables.

Would you call these sub processes or not

Thanks for you help
Honestly, no, I would not. In my opinion, Project Management would consist of such sub-processes like:
  • Project identification
  • Request for Capital
  • Bidding Process
  • Risk Analysis
  • Project Review (that's everything you listed above)

I haven't listed everything, but as you can see, I believe that the sub-processes vastly differ from what your boss is saying.

D

Duke Okes

Re: Process Identfication - Sub-Processes for Project Mangement

They are tasks, not processes.

Randy

Super Moderator

They are tasks, not processes.
Well pardner you're incorrect in this case. Each of those steps will have an input-action-output. That's called a "process".

Additionally the outputs of them become an input of another.

Making a cup of tea or baking a cake can be broken into a process.

I believe a wise old gentleman once said that if we cannot define what we do in the form of process, then we do not know what it is we do and we cannot manage it. Or something like that.

Unless of course you have a different meaning for the word process.

D

Duke Okes

Well pardner you're incorrect in this case. Each of those steps will have an input-action-output. That's called a "process".
Additionally the outputs of them become an input of another.
Making a cup of tea or baking a cake can be broken into a process.
I believe a wise old gentleman once said that if we cannot define what we do in the form of process, then we do not know what it is we do and we cannot manage it. Or something like that.
Unless of course you have a different meaning for the word process.
Have to admit this one I can't give a strong rationale to. However, in my mind the different is primarily scope and/or time frame. A task doesn't really produce anything if significant value on its own, only in conjunction with other tasks. A process does produce something of value that can stand alone.

This is based more on project management than quality management thinking, and I would not attempt to defend it to the end. Life is too short!

Randy

Super Moderator

Greg you learned that from me you sly old dog, didn't you?:lol:

That is an excellant presentation which really simplifies the subject.

What a process is, is so simple that people refuse to admit it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Process and Sub-Process Identification Tools IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
M Risk Identification and Risk Assessment for any Process - Is it necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
A Is Risk Identification and Treatment a Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Gman2 Identification of Raw Material being used In-Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Identification of Russian Predicate Devices as part of the Registration Process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
eldercare CQI-7T Form - AIAG Process Identification Tool 95-2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R Identification of Key Process Equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Richard Regalado ISMS Asset Identification Process - Clause 4.2.1.d.1 of ISO/IEC 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 5
R Etching Ink Process for Identification Purposes - Help needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Require, Sticker Sketch or Photo for using as Identification of In-Process Materials Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K The Process of the Identification of Key Equipments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Identification of out-of-process parts - Using the wrong tag Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
hogheavenfarm Labeling and Identification of stainless steel parts in process Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
M Process FMEA (PFMEA) Assumptions Regarding Causes Identification FMEA and Control Plans 6
L Does anyone have a completed AIAG Process Identification tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
F Best way to identify and map our proccesses - Process Identification Tools Needed??? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q Need Example of Completed Process Identification Tool IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
W TREND Identification - Good (and simple) procedure or process to identify and track Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
T Process Approach - Identification of processes and the Effect on your employees Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
C The AIAG's Process Identification Tool - How to Download IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
R Identification and Traceability During the Product Realization Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D AIAG Process Identification Tool Help! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Y Design (DFMEA) and Process (PFMEA) FMEA Failure Mode Identification Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
S Process Identification Spreadsheet - Free from AIAG IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 46
D Integrating the FMEA Process to address identification of Aspects and Impacts Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
O Process Identification - Painless method to comply with ISO 9001 paragraph 4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P Lot Integrity - Process Steps where Identification is Lost (eg.: Quench) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
P ISO 11607-2 Process Specification Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Q Best off presentation of process flows Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
Q Logistics process flow ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Process FMEA for Laser Cutting/Press Brake/Welding FMEA and Control Plans 2
H Control of Change i.e. process and WI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
F Is this misuse of the MRB process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
L Product and process Deviation procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ch00Ch00 How to evaluate a process ? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Implants made by Additive Manufacturing process approved by USFDA Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Q Process Key figures and reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Ch00Ch00 Evaluate a process - Issue number Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
F Rules of process outsourcing in China China Medical Device Regulations 1
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
P Certification process for registered device China Medical Device Regulations 12
J NCR- Failure of contract review process - NADCAP audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Melissa Process Validation of Rotary Heat Sealer Speeds Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
C Validation of process for production and servicing 5.7.1.5 API Spec Q1, 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
Z IA Construction Procurement Process Internal Auditing 3
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
DuncanGibbons Process flow & PFMEA for production planning and simulation activities? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7