Process Improvement/Continual Improvement "Idea Stage-gate" process?

I

irish01

I did look around a little before posting; could not readily see where this idea had been discussed. We're trying to get a 'business idea stage-gate" process off the ground and trying to decide some quick and dirty ways to measure them/prioritize them, against each other.

We've come up with some normal criteria that probably anyone would think to consider when choosing to 'solve' these issues. I figured i could probably get them into some kind of "rpn" number (severity x occurence x detection) calculation, but i wanted to check the board and see if any of you have a defined method you use at your biz, or just knew of a method. Anyone??

TIA!
SC

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jason PCSwitches

I did look around a little before posting; could not readily see where this idea had been discussed. We're trying to get a 'business idea stage-gate" process off the ground and trying to decide some quick and dirty ways to measure them/prioritize them, against each other.

We've come up with some normal criteria that probably anyone would think to consider when choosing to 'solve' these issues. I figured i could probably get them into some kind of "rpn" number (severity x occurence x detection) calculation, but i wanted to check the board and see if any of you have a defined method you use at your biz, or just knew of a method. Anyone??

TIA!
SC
I am familiar with the concept, however at my current company we do not use it in practice. This is one of those things in which your organization really needs to decide what your stages are and where your gates should be. You can use a standard approach, but each development project may (and usually is) different. You should get the key players to sit down together and decide where it is most appropriate, and effective, to have your decision points. Again this may vary, thats why a product development (also known as the 'discovery stage') meeting should be your first step. I know this may not be that much help but without specifics its hard to provide valuable info. Perhaps some of the veterans will be able to guide you further.

If this is your organizations first attempt using this method, keep it basic at first and grow from there. I can tell you that it can be a valuable tool if used appropriately.

D

DrM2u

TIA!
SC
I am not sure what an "idea stage-gate" is, so I'll try to give a couple of answers hoping that one will be closer to the target.

If you are talking about ideas or actions to improve your business then I have seen companies that prioritize their actions based on investment required, impact (from localized to company-wide), resources (value & availability), and return on investment. Other criteria could include how well the idea is aligned with company's business, goals and values, impact on customer and/or market, impact on society and environment. The list could continue but it is realy up to your organization to establish the criteria.

If you are talking about establishing a business plan with mission, goals, values, etc then the top management could do some brainstorming, benchmarking and data analysis work. The priorities for goals and action items should be established as a consensus through open discussion and as a team effort. This is one way to ensure that everyone is on the same page and pulling in the same direction.

How far am I off-base?

J

JaneB

Excellent advice from Jason:
This is one of those things in which your organization really needs to decide what your stages are and where your gates should be. You can use a standard approach, but each development project may (and usually is) different. You should get the key players to sit down together and decide where it is most appropriate, and effective, to have your decision points. Again this may vary, thats why a product development (also known as the 'discovery stage') meeting should be your first step. I know this may not be that much help but without specifics its hard to provide valuable info. Perhaps some of the veterans will be able to guide you further.

If this is your organizations first attempt using this method, keep it basic at first and grow from there. I can tell you that it can be a valuable tool if used appropriately.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A A Question about Continual improvement process in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q Process Approach & Continual Improvement Clauses and Evidence of its Effective Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
somashekar Temperature Cycling Process - Continual Improvement and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Jump Start Continual Improvement Process - What works? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 9
C Process Goals - Stretch or "Do-able": Corrective Actions or Continual Improvement Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
Marc The Continual Improvement Process (vs. Continuous Improvement?) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
H How do we prove that we are improving the continual improvement process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
optomist1 Rates Daily or Hourly Process Improvement Training Consultants and Consulting 2
D Process Improvement and CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M CMQ/OE or SSGB? I'm Quality management rather than process improvement oriented Career and Occupation Discussions 1
R Difference Process Objective/Opportunity for improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N FDA Guidelines for implementing Continuous Improvement Process US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
C Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement" General Auditing Discussions 14
C Work Sampling Method for Induction Melting Process Improvement Six Sigma 3
L Material Requisition Process - Improvement Needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T First Pass Yield - Welding Process Improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Need guidance new APQP and PPAP Process Improvement Software Idea Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
T QIP (Quality Improvement Process) for CAPA Process. Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Can you Suggest KPIs for a Business Process Improvement Team? Pls. Benchmarking 4
L Stability of the Process vs Improvement during Auditing General Auditing Discussions 8
B Pouch Sealing and Peel Testing Process Improvement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
H What kind of training would you recommend to start on the process improvement world? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
L Supply Chain and Product Creation Process Improvement Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
D ISO/TS 16949 Calibration Control and Process Improvement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Application of Six Sigma on Process Improvement Six Sigma 3
P Interview for Manager of Process Improvement position Career and Occupation Discussions 30
S Trend Review and Process Improvement help needed Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
C Certified Quality Process Analyst vs. Certified Quality Improvement Associate Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
1 Template Showing Before and After Improvement Process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
P SPICE (Software Process Improvement and Capability Determination) Certification Software Quality Assurance 3
B Continuous improvement and Management review process links ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
K FMEA is the Best C.I approach for process improvement? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
B What other activities should be included in a Continuous Improvement process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Process Improvement Team - Where to Start - Looking at Casting Inclusions Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 19
C Improving Small Diameter Cable Length Measuring Techniques - Process Improvement Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
K Savings Yield of Process Improvement over Product Improvement Six Sigma 8
R Process Improvement Proposal Presentation Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 44
W Process approach - Auditor issued OFI (opportunity for improvement) on clause 8.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Looking for Possible Continuous Improvement initiatives for the CI Process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Getting started with statistically based process improvement The Reading Room 12
F Continuous Improvement Process Map - As an individual process? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
C Manufacturing Process Improvement as required by TS 16949: 8.5.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F QMS (Quality Management System) vs. Process Improvement Framework Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M Continuous Improvement Process: Revamp required - advice on the way forward request Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
T Process Internal Audit - Requirement on Monitoring Objectives & Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Sidebar meetings - Good or Bad? Our most productive source of process improvement Career and Occupation Discussions 7
S Annex B examples of Continuous Improvement Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J ESP + Process Improvement Form (Kinda) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Supplier Performance Improvement, Inspection Process Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
B Draft Online Process Improvement Guide - Comments wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9