Process Management - Consistent variability over time - Notify management?

C

Chander Sekar

A process is exhibiting consistent variability over time but is greater than what is desirable. Should the management be informed that the process is out of control?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Chander Sekar:

If you are not meeting your "desirable" range of variation management must be informed.

My qustion would be:

Why, if you are showing consistant variation over time that is greater than expectations, has management not already been involved?

See some of the recent posts under FMEA/Control plan in this forum.

ASD...

V

venkat

Measuring process

I would like to know whether is there any tool to measure the process in an organisation. Using the rating is it possible to say that the process is stable or not

Kindly give your views please

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Venkat,

Using SPC to measure the output, you can begin to understand the process and the process inputs. These can be used for variable or attribute data.

Do you have a book on SPC?

Regards,

Kevin

V

venkat

Mr.Kevin

I would like you to elaborate further by giving an example as to how exactly it is measured. The value range and also the calculation.

Kindly revert.

Kevin Mader

Staff member
Admin
Venkat,

Check out the Archives and PDF files here at the Cove. I would do a search for you, but I haven't the time to spare right now.

Regards,

Kevin

V

venkat

Mr.Kevin

I went through the files in the cove forum. I want a pratical example,as to how the variation in process is measured. For example a process is set and and the deviations are apporoved through meetings and positive recalls are identified and also the document and data control system is working order. The retrieval of the documents are in order. Corrective action and preventive action are followed up. For a situation like this how to measure the process variation.

I would you to explain in detail without any assumptions. I knew you cant spare time. I request you to refer some sites where this is discussed

Kevin Mader

Staff member
Admin
Venkat,

My suggested reading reference on Statistical Process Control is the book Statistical Quality Control, Grant/Leavenworth. There are several examples throughout the book offering visual representations/solutions and explanations.

Please forgive me if I am not understanding your question completely. From your posts above, you are asking about how variation is measured. There are two kinds of variation: common cause and special cause.

Variation in a process is measured by the dispersion of your data point on and SPC chart. The dispersion is representative of common and special cause variation acting together or independently (the chart shows both). When only common cause is present, the data points will be within the control limits (sometime adjustable limits). When a special cause is present, this is noted by a point outside of the limits or detectable by shift, trends, or unusual patterns as detected within sigma regions.

With your example above, it appears that processes you want to measure are the Variability of the Data/Documentation Process or the Variability of the Corrective/Preventive Action Process (please correct me if I am wrong). Both types of data could be used here to measure the variation in the processes. For instance, you might use a Run Chart to see how long it takes on average for a Draft document to be reviewed. Perhaps you use a chart for different types of documentation (i.e. a procedure, instruction, process sheet, or test plan). How long does it take? Plot your data. Apply the SPC formulas and determine trial limits. Continue to plot data. What do you see? Common cause variation or did you notice a special cause data point here or there? Investigate and remove the special causes. For the Corrective Action process you might want to try something similar such as the time it takes to respond to the receipt of a CAR. How long was it before you heard back that the recipient got the CAR (not how long it took to answer)? Do the same. What do you see? Investigate, remove causes, and improve the process.

To be honest, I have had nice success in using Run Charts to understand how processes flow. I have used it to determine availability of space in a warehouse, average time per inspection, time to receive product on line, Customer Service calls answered, etc.. Folks here have used them to help them understand staffing levels, efficiencies, and of course, process improvements. No matter how crude, they visually represent the process, and once brought under control, help to predict outcomes.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Kevin

V

venkat

Mr.Kevin

Thanks

Can you send me the data and the analysis in the form of attachment to my mail id [email protected], so that I can appreciate well

If you have any reservations you can disregard this mail

S

SniperMan

query for everyone, where can i get a schedule for CQT exams?
Is it worth taking it hoping that it will make your job more secure?
Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M Identifying Hazards - Risk management process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
M CMQ/OE or SSGB? I'm Quality management rather than process improvement oriented Career and Occupation Discussions 1
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
M FDA News USFDA Final Report – MDUFA IV Independent Assessment of FDA’s Device Review Process Management Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Process Mapping for a BPMS (Business Process Management System) vs ISO Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
J Differences between a Risk Management Plan vs. Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs - Process Effectiveness and Efficie IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Q Risk Management - Additional Process in ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Is Risk Management Process compliant to ISO 14971 in absence of Hazardous Situations? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 Project Management - Process vs Project. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Streamlined Risk Management Process - Focus on Compliance with Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
P Escalation Process in Project Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
T Process Validation, NPD (New Product Development), and Supplier Management Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
R Definition Process Performance interpretation - Management Review Input 5.6.2 (c) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
M Seeking input for a process-based quality management system training course ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Quality Management Process Model Possible Interactions and Effects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Change Management, Configuration Management or Other Process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
T Difference between the terms Function & Process when used in Construction Management Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 12
Q Project Management is a Support Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T TS 16949 compliant Change Control Management Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T When is a Change Management Process required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
V Differences between Business Process Reengineering (BPR) and Total Quality Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Q SCAR Process SCAR that works for Class III Medical Device Supplier Management Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
T Process Change in a Laboratory - Start Date for new Procedure - Management Opinions Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Celtic Warrior Consolidating results of LPA (Layered Process Audit) for Management Review Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 13
V Common Errors while Implementing Risk Management Process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
S Crisis Management Process and Procedure or Flow Chart example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R SOPs in Manufacturing - Has anyone got a management process that works? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Auditing Management Review - Who audits the management review process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Management Review - Process Performance (5.6.2 c) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Do HF Accessories need to perform a Risk Management Process of 60601-1:2005? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Process Approach to Auditing Quality Management System Internal Auditing 12
F Management Involvement / Commitment - CEO involvement in the certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
Y Metrics for the Management Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
S Is the QMS a Management Process or Support Process? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
S Marketing Process as part of QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
L Proposal to Senior Management - Three options for our new CAPA process Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Y Control Plan or Process Management Plan - Are they different? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Management Review Inputs (Process Performance) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
M Designing a Nonconformance Management Process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 35
A Management Review Process Document Management Review Meetings and related Processes 5
B AGILE Project Management Process for Product Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Supplier - Outsourced process IT management Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J Process Performance & Product Conformity in Management Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2