Process Management - Consistent variability over time - Notify management?

C

Chander Sekar

A process is exhibiting consistent variability over time but is greater than what is desirable. Should the management be informed that the process is out of control?

A

Al Dyer

Chander Sekar:

If you are not meeting your "desirable" range of variation management must be informed.

My qustion would be:

Why, if you are showing consistant variation over time that is greater than expectations, has management not already been involved?

See some of the recent posts under FMEA/Control plan in this forum.

ASD...

V

venkat

Measuring process

I would like to know whether is there any tool to measure the process in an organisation. Using the rating is it possible to say that the process is stable or not

Kindly give your views please

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Venkat,

Using SPC to measure the output, you can begin to understand the process and the process inputs. These can be used for variable or attribute data.

Do you have a book on SPC?

Regards,

Kevin

V

venkat

Mr.Kevin

I would like you to elaborate further by giving an example as to how exactly it is measured. The value range and also the calculation.

Kindly revert.

Kevin Mader

Leader
Admin
Venkat,

Check out the Archives and PDF files here at the Cove. I would do a search for you, but I haven't the time to spare right now.

Regards,

Kevin

V

venkat

Mr.Kevin

I went through the files in the cove forum. I want a pratical example,as to how the variation in process is measured. For example a process is set and and the deviations are apporoved through meetings and positive recalls are identified and also the document and data control system is working order. The retrieval of the documents are in order. Corrective action and preventive action are followed up. For a situation like this how to measure the process variation.

I would you to explain in detail without any assumptions. I knew you cant spare time. I request you to refer some sites where this is discussed

Kevin Mader

Leader
Admin
Venkat,

My suggested reading reference on Statistical Process Control is the book Statistical Quality Control, Grant/Leavenworth. There are several examples throughout the book offering visual representations/solutions and explanations.

Please forgive me if I am not understanding your question completely. From your posts above, you are asking about how variation is measured. There are two kinds of variation: common cause and special cause.

Variation in a process is measured by the dispersion of your data point on and SPC chart. The dispersion is representative of common and special cause variation acting together or independently (the chart shows both). When only common cause is present, the data points will be within the control limits (sometime adjustable limits). When a special cause is present, this is noted by a point outside of the limits or detectable by shift, trends, or unusual patterns as detected within sigma regions.

With your example above, it appears that processes you want to measure are the Variability of the Data/Documentation Process or the Variability of the Corrective/Preventive Action Process (please correct me if I am wrong). Both types of data could be used here to measure the variation in the processes. For instance, you might use a Run Chart to see how long it takes on average for a Draft document to be reviewed. Perhaps you use a chart for different types of documentation (i.e. a procedure, instruction, process sheet, or test plan). How long does it take? Plot your data. Apply the SPC formulas and determine trial limits. Continue to plot data. What do you see? Common cause variation or did you notice a special cause data point here or there? Investigate and remove the special causes. For the Corrective Action process you might want to try something similar such as the time it takes to respond to the receipt of a CAR. How long was it before you heard back that the recipient got the CAR (not how long it took to answer)? Do the same. What do you see? Investigate, remove causes, and improve the process.

To be honest, I have had nice success in using Run Charts to understand how processes flow. I have used it to determine availability of space in a warehouse, average time per inspection, time to receive product on line, Customer Service calls answered, etc.. Folks here have used them to help them understand staffing levels, efficiencies, and of course, process improvements. No matter how crude, they visually represent the process, and once brought under control, help to predict outcomes.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Kevin

V

venkat

Mr.Kevin

Thanks

Can you send me the data and the analysis in the form of attachment to my mail id [email protected], so that I can appreciate well

If you have any reservations you can disregard this mail

S

SniperMan

query for everyone, where can i get a schedule for CQT exams?
Is it worth taking it hoping that it will make your job more secure?
Thanks

Top Bottom