Process Mapping and Quality Procedures Examples

S

Steve Pring

:bigwave: Hello,
I desperatly need some help on how to write quality procedures and work instructions. Examples of each would be fantastic. I am a student doing a six week project to help improve a medical manufacturers Quality System, they have 35 employees, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have only three weeks left so what do you suggest I can do?

The current system has a quality manual and all other documents are basically lumped together. Have spoken to several people in the company who say its just gotten out of control. Would like to be able to show them how they could write there documents in a clearer way and how they could be structured in a pyramid way.

Steve :frust:

P.S My project has now changed direction after the advice which has been given on this forum. The aim now is to flowchart the design and development procedure and then to write documentation based on this.
Any tips on flowcharting or the process approach and any useful links would be greatly appreciated.
Also what are the differences between flowcharting a procedure and the "process approach" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

p_tww

Steve Pring said:
:bigwave: Hello,
I desperatly need some help on how to write quality procedures and work instructions. Examples of each would be fantastic. I am a student doing a six week project to help improve a medical manufacturers Quality System, they have 35 employees, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have only three weeks left so what do you suggest I can do?

The current system has a quality manual and all other documents are basically lumped together. Have spoken to several people in the company who say its just gotten out of control. Would like to be able to show them how they could write there documents in a clearer way and how they could be structured in a pyramid way.

Steve :frust:
Hi, Steve
not understand your question clearly. do you mean this company has a ISO9001:2000 certificate but with poor performance on system running? your role is to help them for improvement?
It's too short time for 3 weeks to improve system performance. You know for some bad system, most cause was not against system self, mainly from people's problem, they do not have good awareness.
sometimes, it's problem on establishing quality system. If system was not designed for practical operations,a big problem,lots of waste.
My suggestions, talked with related person in that company, what they feeled on current documented system? then read/understand ISO9001:2000 standards, find the gap with current document.
basing on employee's competence. documented system could be simple. make sure you could link procedures in quality manual,link work instruction in procedures, link related forms in procedures/work instructions.
hope helpful.

Hello Steve and welcome to the Cove.:bigwave:

I do believe we can give you a hand, but I'm not able to provide much in the way of examples, since all my stuff is in Swedish !!:eek:.

First of all I suggest that you ask questions about the separate procedures / instructions you have in mind in separate posts (rather than lumping them all together - which as you already noticed is not the best way to do it ;)). I'm certain you'll get help that way.

Secondly, it's usually a good idea to keep things as simple as possible and minimize the use of text by using graphics whenever you can.

All our procedures begin with the following three things: Scope, Purpouse & Responsibility. When you have them sorted out it's usually a lot easier to write the rest.

And hey: Good luck.

/Claes

Last edited:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Steve,

The "pyramid" structure you mention can be used, but there are other ways if it works better. The pyramid is basically

LEVEL 1 - QUALITY MANUAL (tip of the pyramid_
LEVEL 2 - PROCEDURES (WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN)
LEVEL 3 - WORK INSTRUCTIONS (HOW)
LEVEL 4 - RECORDS (base of the pyramid)

What you can accomplish in 3 weeks is a good question, and will depend on exactly what is there already. Maybe you can start something and hand it off to someone else when you leave. I'd ask the people there what they feel is most in need of fixing to help them in their daily work. Get their buy-in. For example, maybe if they feel their work instructions are written wrong (what is written is not that they do), or are too confusing, etc. you can make a project of going over the existing WI with the folks that do the work or are in charge of the process, seeing where the docs. are wrong, and then correcting them and making them simpler via flowcharts, etc. But much will depend on what is there already. You can't perform miracles in 3 weeks.

C

Craig H.

Mike S. said:
Steve,

The "pyramid" structure you mention can be used, but there are other ways if it works better. The pyramid is basically

LEVEL 1 - QUALITY MANUAL (tip of the pyramid_
LEVEL 2 - PROCEDURES (WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN)
LEVEL 3 - WORK INSTRUCTIONS (HOW)
LEVEL 4 - RECORDS (base of the pyramid)

What you can accomplish in 3 weeks is a good question, and will depend on exactly what is there already. Maybe you can start something and hand it off to someone else when you leave. I'd ask the people there what they feel is most in need of fixing to help them in their daily work. Get their buy-in. For example, maybe if they feel their work instructions are written wrong (what is written is not that they do), or are too confusing, etc. you can make a project of going over the existing WI with the folks that do the work or are in charge of the process, seeing where the docs. are wrong, and then correcting them and making them simpler via flowcharts, etc. But much will depend on what is there already. You can't perform miracles in 3 weeks.

Mike:

Yes, but I would like to add the quality policy in there, too. Some people make that a part of the Q Manual (level 1), some don't. I tend to see the Q policy as being at the "top", but it could be seen as being "even" with the Q Manual, as well, I guess.

Craig

R

Randy Stewart

Just a thought,
We do not use a Quality Manual - it is our Operations Manual.
We show how the Company Goal aligns with the Company Mission Statement which aligns with the Quality Policy Statement, etc. etc..
IMO it is easier to see how the procedures, work instruction, etc. help support the chain going up.
It has also assisted in the integration process by combining not only the ISO-14000 and TS but it addresses the internal controls, hoshin, 5-S and other initiatives we have been assigned.

M

M Greenaway

Steve

I guess that as a student you have been given quite a direct instruction to 'sort out the companies procedures', with little else to tell you whats wrong with them, and why they need change.

The very directive to 'sort out procedures' is steeped in the ISO9001:1994 (and predecessors) mindset.

There is actually far more to quality than writing procedures.

The revised ISO9001:2000 standard has shifted fundementally from its predecessors. I imagine that you are in a 1994 certified company overrun with documentation.

ISO9001:2000 is based on the 'process approach' to management. The old requirements to maintain vast amounts of instructional documents is gone, primarily you have to identify and manage your processes effectively.

I suggest you identify the companies processes and how they interact (via process mapping), identify the process owners, have the management team decide on key performance indicators, and then set up some decent data capture and reporting systems to monitor process performance against these objectives.

You will find that process mapping to a reasonable depth (say 3 to 5 levels) will give you good graphical representation of your traditional text based procedures, and you may well find that they become naturally redundant.

So you will have purged the system of the onerous documentation, and set up a good system of real performance measures - the company will forever be in your debt !!

C

Craig H.

M Greenaway said:
Steve

I guess that as a student you have been given quite a direct instruction to 'sort out the companies procedures', with little else to tell you whats wrong with them, and why they need change.

The very directive to 'sort out procedures' is steeped in the ISO9001:1994 (and predecessors) mindset.

There is actually far more to quality than writing procedures.

The revised ISO9001:2000 standard has shifted fundementally from its predecessors. I imagine that you are in a 1994 certified company overrun with documentation.

ISO9001:2000 is based on the 'process approach' to management. The old requirements to maintain vast amounts of instructional documents is gone, primarily you have to identify and manage your processes effectively.

I suggest you identify the companies processes and how they interact (via process mapping), identify the process owners, have the management team decide on key performance indicators, and then set up some decent data capture and reporting systems to monitor process performance against these objectives.

You will find that process mapping to a reasonable depth (say 3 to 5 levels) will give you good graphical representation of your traditional text based procedures, and you may well find that they become naturally redundant.

So you will have purged the system of the onerous documentation, and set up a good system of real performance measures - the company will forever be in your debt !!

Ah, Martin, how right you are.

If Steve does not know what is needed (and what belongs in the trash) he will never be able to fully and effectively "sort out" the system. At this point, it might seem to be a waste of valuable time, but planning now will save headaches later.

Good post.

:bigwave:

Craig

S

Steve Pring

Pocess Mapping

Hi, thankyou everyone for your messages

Could please give some useful tips on the "process approach".
I have looked into how to use the "process approach" but only understand that it is an important idea behind ISO 9001:2000. I will do some research into how to apply process mapping to the company, but would be interested to know what Martin meant by "key performance indicators".

Also how much process mapping could be reasonably achieved in three weeks? I know management want me to concentrate on design and development of their medical products.

Thanks for everybody's help

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Updating a Quality Manual from ISO 9001 to ISO TS 16949 - Process Mapping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Quality manual, Procedures, WI & process mapping for oil field chemical & Eqpt.trader Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
R Process Mapping for a BPMS (Business Process Management System) vs ISO Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
M PDCA cycle - Process mapping - Environmental ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R Process Mapping a Civil Infrastructure Construction company Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
L Mapping the loan lending bank process Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
R PPM, Pictorial Process Mapping, Templates Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S ISO14001:2015 Factory Process Mapping ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
O Process Mapping prior to Validation and Software to use to Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
B Macro Process Mapping (pre-GAP analysis) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Process Mapping Electronic Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Is Process Mapping an ISO 13485 Requirement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
S Business Case for Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
A Information Technology Process Mapping per ISO 13485 - example wanted Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
L Qualiware Software & Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
F How does Process Mapping help to make a process more Transparent to the Customer? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
M SIPOC (Suppliers Inputs Process Outputs Customers) Process Mapping Tool example Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 11
N Process Mapping a Private Company that deals with Insurance Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
J Definition Activity vs. Task - Definitions in Process Mapping and Projects Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
R Process VSM (Value Stream Mapping) help needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
H Process Mapping related to EMS for ISO 14001:2004 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
L Definition Poka Yoke, Process Mapping, MSA - What are these terms please? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Change Management Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
R PPAP & Value Stream Mapping - How to eliminate waste in PPAP process APQP and PPAP 10
S Do you consider 'unintended' process output(s) while mapping a process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M ISO/TS 16949 Process Mapping (need examples) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
A Process Mapping - for "Audits" - Detailed process map + macro map + FMEA Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
R Procedure for internal process mapping requests Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
V Process Mapping for a retailing chain Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
A Business Process Mapping help needed Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
1 Process Mapping for NonConforming Material Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 14
P Trend analysis - Common Mistakes of Sales Process Mapping Software Quality Assurance 2
Z Process Mapping Documentation Location and Control Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
J Insights on Graham (and other) Process Mapping software Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Business Process Mapping to comply with TS 16949 - Please review my Process Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
M Business Process Map - Kindly review my process mapping of my company Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
Q Business Process Mapping training that integrates Visio 2003 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Process Mapping Approach - Please comment on my process map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
H Process Mapping - I would like your opinions and advice on my process map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
L How to start process mapping? Any sample please? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Flow Chart and Process Mapping Software - Visio vs. Smartdraw Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
Z Looking for some examples of TS16949 process mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
M Process Mapping - Process Flow and Interactions of Processes - ISO 9001 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 124
Marc Business Process Mapping - A simple powerpoint .ppt presentation Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 0
P Criticize my Company wide Process Interaction Mapping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Flow charts - Show Me Yours! Systems Approach - Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 28
S Mapping ISO 9001 and CMM 2 (KPAs) - SEPG (Software Engineering Process Group) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V Process Mapping - Is there anyone using process maps to meet 4.1 requirements? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3