Process Mapping - Process Flow and Interactions of Processes - ISO 9001

Dr. IJ Arora

Involved In Discussions
Here I go again with another question.....
I am working on the process flow for ISO-9001:2000 and I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Something tells me that I am not....

My process map is not very detailed at all. We determined that all our "detailed" processes are actually our procedures. So why have them in two places (I can probably call out each procedure next to each process in the map, but I have not done that yet.

Our rough draft process map shows the customer giving us the order, us processing the order (not any detail there, literly it says "Receive Requirements from Customer via quote request, Sales w/ Mgmt perform contract review"). Then the map goes into basic Project Management, then Mech / Controls Design, etc.

Can a process map be this simple? We also have an old Process map the quality personnel before me did that is 36 pages long in VISIO. I think that is too detailed.

Looking on the cove I have seen every extreme. I guess, I am asking if just showing the "bare bones" process an order goes through our company, is that enough?

Everyone here has already provided me with valueable input on some other items I have going on. I appreciate it all! One day I am hoping to get to that Guru status :) too..... for now, I just need some solid help. :nopity:
You have already received many inputs and suggestions and so I guess you know your answers. I use process mapping extensively and wanted to leave a few minor useful (according to my experience) inputs. Most processes I see are mapped in a silo fashion, meaning who reports to who. The idea of the process map should not be to just capture the hierarchy like a military reporting system! The process should give you a 50K foot view of the way the process actually works. This means players outside of the department, including outside of the organization (e.g. customers, vendors etc,.) if applicable should also be included.The outcome of the team in providing a confirming product should be the outcome. The process objective should be met and the procedure should end with a review to ensure continual improvement. Clause 4.4.1 of ISO 9001:2015 is a good clause to shape your processes on.4.4.1 b requires not only the sequence but in effect requires a core process as applicable for the TM. This then should flow into your key and support processes. Hope this helps?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Dr. IJ Arora

Involved In Discussions
are you doing a process map for Lean or trying to fulfill requirements for Interrelation of Processes
Just as a learning for me, why are you differentiating the two? Processes should not only be mapped to meet the requirements of Clause 4.4.1, but more importantly to meet requirements and provide confirming products and services. Lean should then fit into these processes as a tool to bring further efficiency. Reduce the sigma and achieve the mean? meridian or whatever has been set as the measurable objective. Lean is not a requirement of the standard to operate the MS (management system) efficiently, it is a tool to further improve the MS once it is implemented well.

Dr. IJ Arora

Involved In Discussions
I am doing it for 9K2K, where it says "The organization shall establish , document, implement and maintain a quality management system and continually improve its effectiveness in accordance with the requirements of this International standard. The organization shall b) determine the sequence and interaction of these processes".

I don't have in my process map anything about continuous improvement, Management Commitment, Measuring & monitoring... Control of Customer product, nonconforming material......

So, I just have the "bare bones" of what our company does. But I figured all my procedures covered the above items.

I just have a feeling I am way off... Don't have much help here at my job. :thanx:
Exactly! If your processes are correctly mapped, they should start with an objective to be achieved and end with a review of the process for continual improvement.

Dr. IJ Arora

Involved In Discussions
Kimloree,

Welcome to the cove. This is an excellent idea and everyone could achieve it for their document map but does it truly show the processes?
May I Sir, suggest review of introduction to the ISO 9001:2015 Paragraph 0.1 General para 3 It is not the intend of the standard to..........

Here I go again with another question.....
I am working on the process flow for ISO-9001:2000 and I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Something tells me that I am not....

My process map is not very detailed at all. We determined that all our "detailed" processes are actually our procedures. So why have them in two places (I can probably call out each procedure next to each process in the map, but I have not done that yet.

Our rough draft process map shows the customer giving us the order, us processing the order (not any detail there, literly it says "Receive Requirements from Customer via quote request, Sales w/ Mgmt perform contract review"). Then the map goes into basic Project Management, then Mech / Controls Design, etc.

Can a process map be this simple? We also have an old Process map the quality personnel before me did that is 36 pages long in VISIO. I think that is too detailed.

Looking on the cove I have seen every extreme. I guess, I am asking if just showing the "bare bones" process an order goes through our company, is that enough?

Everyone here has already provided me with valueable input on some other items I have going on. I appreciate it all! One day I am hoping to get to that Guru status :) too..... for now, I just need some solid help. :nopity:
Hello Michelle:

Have you completed a SIPOC diagram for the organization?
Have you or are you planning to develop a value-stream map for the process?

Lean Six Sigma with active DMAIC.

I consider that for every unit operation in my process flow ,the accountants like to receive a mini-accounting statement. IBT = Unit Op.( Revenue-Cost ) /unit...

Nothing is achieved without a process, and processes always include cost!

George

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
R Process Mapping for a BPMS (Business Process Management System) vs ISO Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
M PDCA cycle - Process mapping - Environmental ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R Process Mapping a Civil Infrastructure Construction company Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
L Mapping the loan lending bank process Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
R PPM, Pictorial Process Mapping, Templates Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S ISO14001:2015 Factory Process Mapping ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
O Process Mapping prior to Validation and Software to use to Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
B Macro Process Mapping (pre-GAP analysis) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Process Mapping Electronic Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Is Process Mapping an ISO 13485 Requirement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
S Business Case for Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
A Information Technology Process Mapping per ISO 13485 - example wanted Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
F Updating a Quality Manual from ISO 9001 to ISO TS 16949 - Process Mapping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Qualiware Software & Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
F How does Process Mapping help to make a process more Transparent to the Customer? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
M SIPOC (Suppliers Inputs Process Outputs Customers) Process Mapping Tool example Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 11
N Process Mapping a Private Company that deals with Insurance Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
J Definition Activity vs. Task - Definitions in Process Mapping and Projects Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
R Process VSM (Value Stream Mapping) help needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
H Process Mapping related to EMS for ISO 14001:2004 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
L Definition Poka Yoke, Process Mapping, MSA - What are these terms please? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Change Management Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
R PPAP & Value Stream Mapping - How to eliminate waste in PPAP process APQP and PPAP 10
S Do you consider 'unintended' process output(s) while mapping a process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M ISO/TS 16949 Process Mapping (need examples) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
A Process Mapping - for "Audits" - Detailed process map + macro map + FMEA Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
R Procedure for internal process mapping requests Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
V Process Mapping for a retailing chain Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
A Business Process Mapping help needed Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
1 Process Mapping for NonConforming Material Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 14
P Trend analysis - Common Mistakes of Sales Process Mapping Software Quality Assurance 2
Z Process Mapping Documentation Location and Control Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
J Insights on Graham (and other) Process Mapping software Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Business Process Mapping to comply with TS 16949 - Please review my Process Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
M Business Process Map - Kindly review my process mapping of my company Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
S Quality manual, Procedures, WI & process mapping for oil field chemical & Eqpt.trader Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
Q Business Process Mapping training that integrates Visio 2003 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Process Mapping Approach - Please comment on my process map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
H Process Mapping - I would like your opinions and advice on my process map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
L How to start process mapping? Any sample please? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Flow Chart and Process Mapping Software - Visio vs. Smartdraw Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
Z Looking for some examples of TS16949 process mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
Marc Business Process Mapping - A simple powerpoint .ppt presentation Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 0
P Criticize my Company wide Process Interaction Mapping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Flow charts - Show Me Yours! Systems Approach - Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 28
S Mapping ISO 9001 and CMM 2 (KPAs) - SEPG (Software Engineering Process Group) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V Process Mapping - Is there anyone using process maps to meet 4.1 requirements? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S Process Mapping and Quality Procedures Examples Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 37