Process Measurable - Ideal process measurable for a quality control department

A

Andrews

What could be the ideal process measurable for a quality control department which
a) inspects parts after every manufacturing process and gives clearance for next operation
b) does final inspection before supplying to customer

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jonathon Haddow

If the Department is the only one doing inspection then for a) it could be problems (faults ) found at next operation that could (should) have been detected by the inspection and for b) customer complaints (faults) found that should have been detected.
Hope this is usefull
Jonathon

N

noboxwine

Call me old fashioned

but I still believe capturing internal and external customer satisfaction is most effective and easily reported in Defective Parts per Million, period. Good Luck ! :bigwave:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Process measurable

Originally posted by Andrews
What could be the ideal process measurable for a quality control department which
a) inspects parts after every manufacturing process and gives clearance for next operation
b) does final inspection before supplying to customer
How about this slant?

For part (a): Ask your internal customer(s)! They are your own co-workers! Talk to them! What do they want/need/expect?

For (b), either ask the customer or look at customer complaints/returns that were the fault of inspection missing something.

JMO.

A

Al Dyer

b)

It might be the difference between final inspection and dock audits.

I believe the customer will contact you about parts they received and failed, no need to ask them.

a)

Some type of inspection after any major process should be part of the process flow/control plan. A part of the process might be moving a tray of parts from table A to table B which probably not require an inspection other than a "look".
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to the point:

A&B) P-Chart, X-R Chart, and ultimately a PPM.

My main concern would be why a "Quality Control" department is doing in-process inspections when the people that make the item should be monitoring their own work and passing it on to the next process. Then as a final inspection "quality" can do the deed.

Al...

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Originally posted by Al Dyer
b)

My main concern would be why a "Quality Control" department is doing in-process inspections when the people that make the item should be monitoring their own work and passing it on to the next process. Then as a final inspection "quality" can do the deed.

Al...
Al,

I don’t know about Andrews’situation, but sometimes it does make sense to have in-process testing done by “QC” or someone “outside” the normal process. I agree that ideally the test would be performed on-line by the people performing the rest of the process. If the test is just using micrometers to measure a simple dimension or any similar relatively easy test performed by cheap tools, on-line testing by the people performing the rest of the process should be done almost always.

However, some tests require highly-skilled people to perform them and/or require the use of expensive and/or sensitive equipment that is not practical to duplicate at every process location. In such cases I believe it is best to have a “QC” or test group act as an internal service organization to the people performing the rest of the process. I’ve fought this battle before with idealists who called me “closed-minded” and insisted that every “workcell” perform their own tests in their own area. Well, at least they insisted until they finally got the written estimate for duplicating the test equipment, facility modifications, and personnel it would take to do that, then suddenly I wasn’t so close-minded and stupid after all. One competitor tried this on a limited basis and from reports I heard it was a disaster of expense and screw-ups, a case of “tearing defeat from the jaws of victory”.

A

Al Dyer

Agree 100%

Not all tests can be conducted in the cell by operators.There are tests and inspections that might require sensitive equipment or be conducted in a lab environment..

When feasable inspection should be conducted by cell personel, with maybe a floating QC inspector monitoring the cells for correct gage usage.
Al...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Process Measurable Objectives Imported Legacy Blogs 3
E Process Diagrams and Measurables - Do you HAVE to have a measurable? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
G ISO 9001:2000 Registration, but no process approach and no measurable objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H Control of Change i.e. process and WI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
F Is this misuse of the MRB process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
L Product and process Deviation procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ch00Ch00 How to evaluate a process ? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Implants made by Additive Manufacturing process approved by USFDA Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Q Process Key figures and reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Ch00Ch00 Evaluate a process - Issue number Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
F Rules of process outsourcing in China China Medical Device Regulations 1
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
P Certification process for registered device China Medical Device Regulations 11
J NCR- Failure of contract review process - NADCAP audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Melissa Process Validation of Rotary Heat Sealer Speeds Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
C Validation of process for production and servicing 5.7.1.5 API Spec Q1, 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
Z IA Construction Procurement Process Internal Auditing 3
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
DuncanGibbons Process flow & PFMEA for production planning and simulation activities? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
N Help with understanding Process Controls Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M VDA 6.3 – Workshop for Certified Process Auditor VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
C Process Consistency Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I PFD (Process Flow Diagram) approach. Setup details as part of PFD? APQP and PPAP 5
K Business Process Flowchart Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
J License renewal process in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Definition Outsourced process - Clear definition - 13485 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
S IS0 13485 process flows ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Verification Process for the existing MDS Product IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C Revalidation of Process Equipment for Equipment Transfered to New Facility. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Process map Evaluation and Analysis Method Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
S In process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Brexit 100% inspection during in process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
A Complaint review as part of the complaint handling process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
mustomutlu Process Validation Final Report Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Q Process Matrix_Audit Matrix Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
Q Process description for outsourced processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Process matrix examples of ISO 9001 & 14001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A When someone refuses to follow a process.... Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 30
E Software maintenance Process Software maintenance Process to IEC 6204? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
R AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 f - "Implement a returns process....." AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
normhowe "The Problem with Quality Management: Process orientation, controllability and zero-defect processes as modern myths" Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
Judy Abbott General temperature used in the blasting process and laser process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B SOP for CNC turret punching machine for sheet metal process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
A API Monogram audit review process Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Process mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1