Process Measurable - Ideal process measurable for a quality control department

A

Andrews

What could be the ideal process measurable for a quality control department which
a) inspects parts after every manufacturing process and gives clearance for next operation
b) does final inspection before supplying to customer

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jonathon Haddow

If the Department is the only one doing inspection then for a) it could be problems (faults ) found at next operation that could (should) have been detected by the inspection and for b) customer complaints (faults) found that should have been detected.
Hope this is usefull
Jonathon

N

noboxwine

Call me old fashioned

but I still believe capturing internal and external customer satisfaction is most effective and easily reported in Defective Parts per Million, period. Good Luck ! :bigwave:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Process measurable

Originally posted by Andrews
What could be the ideal process measurable for a quality control department which
a) inspects parts after every manufacturing process and gives clearance for next operation
b) does final inspection before supplying to customer
How about this slant?

For part (a): Ask your internal customer(s)! They are your own co-workers! Talk to them! What do they want/need/expect?

For (b), either ask the customer or look at customer complaints/returns that were the fault of inspection missing something.

JMO.

A

Al Dyer

b)

It might be the difference between final inspection and dock audits.

I believe the customer will contact you about parts they received and failed, no need to ask them.

a)

Some type of inspection after any major process should be part of the process flow/control plan. A part of the process might be moving a tray of parts from table A to table B which probably not require an inspection other than a "look".
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to the point:

A&B) P-Chart, X-R Chart, and ultimately a PPM.

My main concern would be why a "Quality Control" department is doing in-process inspections when the people that make the item should be monitoring their own work and passing it on to the next process. Then as a final inspection "quality" can do the deed.

Al...

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Originally posted by Al Dyer
b)

My main concern would be why a "Quality Control" department is doing in-process inspections when the people that make the item should be monitoring their own work and passing it on to the next process. Then as a final inspection "quality" can do the deed.

Al...
Al,

I don’t know about Andrews’situation, but sometimes it does make sense to have in-process testing done by “QC” or someone “outside” the normal process. I agree that ideally the test would be performed on-line by the people performing the rest of the process. If the test is just using micrometers to measure a simple dimension or any similar relatively easy test performed by cheap tools, on-line testing by the people performing the rest of the process should be done almost always.

However, some tests require highly-skilled people to perform them and/or require the use of expensive and/or sensitive equipment that is not practical to duplicate at every process location. In such cases I believe it is best to have a “QC” or test group act as an internal service organization to the people performing the rest of the process. I’ve fought this battle before with idealists who called me “closed-minded” and insisted that every “workcell” perform their own tests in their own area. Well, at least they insisted until they finally got the written estimate for duplicating the test equipment, facility modifications, and personnel it would take to do that, then suddenly I wasn’t so close-minded and stupid after all. One competitor tried this on a limited basis and from reports I heard it was a disaster of expense and screw-ups, a case of “tearing defeat from the jaws of victory”.

A

Al Dyer

Agree 100%

Not all tests can be conducted in the cell by operators.There are tests and inspections that might require sensitive equipment or be conducted in a lab environment..

When feasable inspection should be conducted by cell personel, with maybe a floating QC inspector monitoring the cells for correct gage usage.
Al...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Process Measurable Objectives Imported Legacy Blogs 3
E Process Diagrams and Measurables - Do you HAVE to have a measurable? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
G ISO 9001:2000 Registration, but no process approach and no measurable objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V Countries without Formal Regulatory Approval Process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Crimp inspection and process verification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Crimpshrine13 Bulk Process (Electroplating), Control Plan, and Process Change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
S Process Owner IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Bev D Development Process: FMEA, Critical Characteristics, Spec Setting and Controls Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
T Document Review Process Map AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Validation Plastic Injection Molding Process protocol ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Use of statistical techniques for Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Question regarding new VDA_AIAG fmea approach for process FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
S 9001 + 14001 Internal Auditing Process checklist, flowchart or questionnaire ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L CQI-30 Special Process: Rubber Processing System Assessment - Mixing & Molding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
O Process Flow Diagram, DFMEA, PFMEA, Control Plan integrated softwares FMEA and Control Plans 4
C. Tejeda Process validation of rework assembly methods (medical devices) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
L Looking for feedback on Nonconformity Process Flowmap ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Process Flow of ECN Product User and Service Guides Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
R Process Maps for ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
L APQP Process Flow with CFT Roles and responsibilities APQP and PPAP 4
M Having Trouble Identifying KPI for Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Please help! ! I AM FRASTRATED SO MUCH! Should inactive ingredient be included in the unit formula if it is removed during the manufacturing process? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
I Supplier Evaluation Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B A template for a injection molding process sheet with upper/lower- mean value tolerances Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
P ISO 9001: Quality Management as a process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
R How many process maps are adequate for a company for IATF 16949? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 17
Q Process matrix 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Evaluate a process audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
J Best Practices for Choosing In-process Inspection Dimensions & SPC Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T FDA PMA review process - advisory panel timing? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
K Process FMEA responsible For "Make to Design Parts" (Inhouse or Suppliers ?) FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Passivation Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
G Mfr. Process Validation BEFORE Design Transfer? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Clinical evaluation interface with the risk management process EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Integrated Management System (IMS) - Process Vs Clause Based Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
D IATF NC Interaction of process diagram - Missing contingency plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
J Cleaning Process for Delicate Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
E Audit Finding - Measurement of Process - Continuous Improvement - Trend Analysis Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 22
J ISO 10993-1:2018 Format to Perform Risk Management Process US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
I Are suppliers required to hand over process validation reports? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
S Process Monitoring using SPC software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
PQ Systems Introducing Process Improvement to New Employees Using SQCpack Software 0
Quality Runner Continuous monitoring of validated process – sample sizes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
H What kind of chart to detect WHEN a in-process NC is about to occur? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
FuzzyD ISO 13485 change in process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Combo Product Assembly Process OQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
V Process revalidation periodic criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G Fully refurbishing process EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Information on Process-based Internal Auditing Needed Internal Auditing 6
Sortinghat Auditing the Manufacturing Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3