Process Monitoring using SPC software

Hi,

I'm new here. Hello.
I'm employed in Quality Assurance and I'm trying to determine if verification is required for SPC software (QC-Calc) within a Medical Device company. The software is being used out of the box for process monitoring and trending of data for validated manufacturing processes. No-one is asking that this be validated in any way but I have an expectation that there should be some work done in relation to this, even just a comparison of source data (from process) to report data (output to SPC software). Reviewing ISO9001 and ISO13485 (see below) would also lead me to believe that there would be an expectation that any methods used for process monitoring should be verified as fit for use.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether verification should be completed for SPC software or experience where accuracy of SPC reports was questioned?

Thanks,
Sidhe

ISO9001:2015 Clause 9.1
9.1.1 - “the organization shall evaluate the performance and the effectiveness of the quality management system”
9.1.3 - “The organization shall analyse and evaluate appropriate data and information arising from monitoring and measurement”

ISO 13485:2016+A11:2021 - Medical devices. Quality management systems: Clause 8.2.5 states that and “the organization shall apply suitable methods for monitoring and, as appropriate, measurement of the quality management system processes.”

ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.5.1 relates specifically to validity of data generated.
The organization shall determine and provide the resources needed to ensure valid and reliable results when monitoring or measuring is used to verify the conformity of products and services to requirements.

The organization shall ensure that the resources provided:
a) are suitable for the specific type of monitoring and measurement activities being undertaken;

b) are maintained to ensure their continuing fitness for their purpose.

The organization shall retain appropriate documented information as evidence of fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Since it is easy to do the calculations by hand, or Excel spreadsheet, it would not be that big of a deal to get a few example sets of data and run them manually through Excel and through your software. Sometimes different softwares use different methods for estimating the standard deviation of the data for control limits, so it is not a bad exercise to at least determine what assumptions the software is using. If it was me (but I don't find doing a manual SPC to be that hard) I'd do it to at least see what the inner workings are of the automated tool. There are plenty of example data files out there on the internet supporting various textbooks. Even just create a set of data with a random number generator and see if both methods give the same result.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Steve: Although I agree in principle with your statement, using one software package to validate another software package is just a circular arguement. Either do it manually, or don't do it. I have never been questioned about the validation of 'mass market' software (I am thinking of Excel and Minitab specifically right now). The intent (to my understanding) is that you validate software which you have specifically written/modified to perform some type of task for you.

I would say "yes." (But actually, it's "validation" which encompasses a bit more than verification.)
Would you be talking about validation of the software or validation of the specific usage?
If you were using standard functionality of COTS software, what would need to validated? I was suggesting verification of calculations or software output through confirmation that input meets expected output. Yes, I agree this would fall under "validation" activity.

In terms of validation of "mass market" software, I would usually suggest only validating specific usage and not the software itself. This is the approach I would take for Excel or Minitab. I'm not too familiar with QC-Calc so I'm not sure this would be equivalent to Excel or Minitab. Therefore, I'm trying to determine if additional validation outside of confirming calculation / output is required.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
In my experience certain regulators (medical/pharma) tend to require validation of any software used to directly effect product quality or accept product for release. Things to validate:
  • The software correctly implements the mathematics and intended functions
  • Proper recording of results (data integrity)
  • Security for changes.
You would need to look to your regulator’s or Customer’s requirements.
I have found that this type of validation is in your best interests regardless of requirements. I have continually been surprised by what programmers and engineers or scientists will try to do in software.

SPC software is typically not used as above. However, Miner is correct that you should validate that the software is using the correct data and calculations for the limits as some software allows you to use the total standard deviation or Sd of the mean to calculate the limits Instead of hte within subgroup SD. Some software can also be set to continually recalculate the limits. Som will also let you set the limits at 2 or 4 Sd instead of 3SD…

I also caution that chart type, rational subgrouping and sampling frequency are things to monitor, review and/or approve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Quality Runner Continuous monitoring of validated process – sample sizes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A How to reduce the process SPC monitoring Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
E IATF 16949 Cl. 9.1.2 - Monitoring Process Performance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T IATF 16949 Control Plan and Process Monitoring Requirement(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
W MR Inputs (9.3.2) - "Monitoring and Measurement Results" vs. "Process Performance" Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
J Appropriate In-Process Monitoring Frequency for 2X per day Change Set-Up. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Process Monitoring and Measurement - AS9100 Clause 8.2.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Medical Device Manufacturing Process Monitoring Best Practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Critical Variables Monitoring during Process Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
C Tool Monitoring - Controlling a Process with Better Tool Monitoring Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
H Monitoring the Calibration Process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
R Minitab for I-MR - Monitoring Process on Temporary Basis & Temporary Limits Using Minitab Software 6
N IQ/OQ for Process Monitoring System - Sensors and HMI System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Process Monitoring Instrument Quality Levels or Categorizations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Process Monitoring Gage Calibration Requirements - 7.6.3.2 External laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Temperature/humidity monitoring process procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T ETO Sterilization - Process monitoring and out-inspection ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Monitoring the monitoring process - Customer complaint process isn't being monitored IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Process monitoring, measuring and analyzing, does this means all company processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Process Auditing - Identifying/Monitoring "Key" Processes Sufficient? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
H How to understand "Monitoring the Process"? "Measurement" of the Process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
D Corrective and preventive action, process monitoring ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Sharing best practices in customer satisfaction monitoring process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 17
T Process Internal Audit - Requirement on Monitoring Objectives & Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Looking for Process Monitoring /SPC Package - Molded pharma packaging Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S MSA (Attribute Gage R&R) on our process monitoring points Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Monitoring,measuring... realization process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Sample Size and Frequency - In-process monitoring in a mass production shop Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
R Gage R&R Studies for Process Monitoring Instruments? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C Element 4.9.1 Process Monitoring QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
G Process monitoring of portable & stationary oxygen units: Can we use Cpk, Ppk, SPC ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
G Process monitoring - Stationary and portable oxygen units ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L 4.9.1 Process Monitoring & Operator Instructions QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
I Are suppliers required to hand over process validation reports? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
PQ Systems Introducing Process Improvement to New Employees Using SQCpack Software 0
H What kind of chart to detect WHEN a in-process NC is about to occur? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
FuzzyD ISO 13485 change in process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Combo Product Assembly Process OQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
V Process revalidation periodic criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G Fully refurbishing process EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Information on Process-based Internal Auditing Needed Internal Auditing 6
Sortinghat Auditing the Manufacturing Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Process Owner Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
S Measurment of DPU/DPMO in Assembly process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
J Can you have one Core Process (PEAR) with multiple plants? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D "FAI" Requirements/Process for New Supplier Materials Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
W Nonconforming-Material Process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
S Performance Qualification and Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Sr Process Engineer (Hillsboro, OR) - SPC Program Focused - Ultra Clean Technology Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0