Process Owner vs. Job Descriptions

A

andy1ouok

Hello everyone,
I am new to this, so here it goes.
We are currently ISO 13485 certified, but redoing the system due to several Quality Managers in the past year. My boss wants to replace the job descriptions with process owners titles. What are your takes on this? As I have never seen this done.:lmao:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Process Owner vs Job Descriptions

That's like replacing apples with artichokes:2cents:

A process owner is someone who is responsible (and has the authority to follow through) for a process. A job description is a list of things a person has to do in a job function.

A

andy1ouok

Thanks Steelmaiden,
I understand that,but my boss does not. I will try and pass that definition along to them.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Good luck. The only thing that I can think of to help is the fact that not every employee is a process owner. I guess the best thing to do is agree on what your definition of a job description is, and work from there.

Last edited:
J

Steel has it pretty well nailed.
A Job description helps to define process steps, and competancies required by whoever does the task. What Job descriptions do not do is say "so-and-so" is reponsible for this.

The Process owner is saying "Who" is responsible for the job description(s).

Perhaps that is what is being proposed. That the Job descriptions be organized under whomever has responsibility for them. Could that be what your boss is looking for?

Peace
James

Q

qualitytrec

I would say it a little different. A job description defines the processes and responsibilities of a given position or function while a process owner only defines which employee is responsible for the given process (and that employee is likely responsible for many others as well). Everywhere I have worked you need to define both ways and tie them together.
I think to define the process owner and not the job description is more like defining the grape and excluding the cluster. Who ever manages HR is going to have a lot of sheets for each person if you track responsibility through employee files.:truce:

fwiw,
Mark

A

andy1ouok

Thanks JRKH
But what they are wanting to do is do away with Job description. I think we are setting ourselves up for an audit finding.

Hello everyone,
I am new to this, so here it goes.
We are currently ISO 13485 certified, but redoing the system due to several Quality Managers in the past year. My boss wants to replace the job descriptions with process owners titles. What are your takes on this? As I have never seen this done.:lmao:
I like the idea of "process owner"....but as Steel makes an excellent point not everyone is a process owner (this is a management task, let's face it) so what to do about the others....?

J

John Martinez

I like the idea of "process owner"....but as Steel makes an excellent point not everyone is a process owner (this is a management task, let's face it) so what to do about the others....?
I agree with Andy N and SeelMaiden.

Consider the following:
I like to explain "process owner" in this manner: Like a home, no one will take care of a process like an owner (ok, renters, I know there are exceptions). A home and process needs maintenance and repair. Who knows the process better and therefore can review documentation for adequacy (maintenance) and do an effective root cause analysis (repair) better than the process owner? No one, not even the quality manager.

E

ErikaP - 2010

We are a rather small company with 5ish employees and have applied this approach:

We have made an organization chart which states all ROLES and departments within the company. Each process is owned by a role.

This gives us 2 documents:
1. An organization chart where each role within the organization is mapped towards one or several employees.
2. Role descriptions stating which SOPs the role are responisble for (if any) and other duties that fall within the responsibility/authority of that role. The role description also include the skills needed from a person possesing that role.

I guess our role description can be seen as a combination of a job descripton and a process owner list.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Schedule for SOP Review - Listing by Names of Process Owner versus Job Titles? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
Q IATF 16949 Cl 5.1.1.3 - Requirements related to the Process Owner IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Engineering Release Process Owner Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
X Determining the Process Owner Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 12
P Who is the Process Owner? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
S Process Owner role in Problem Investigation/Corrective Action Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
S Delivery Process Owner(s) in an IT Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L Design Validation Process Owner - Who should be the process owner of validation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W Substitute Process Owner - A Process Owner was unavailable during audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D Can a process have more than one process owner? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
ScottK Who is your training process owner? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 20
J Must we include the owner of the process in the turtle diagram? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
P AS9100 Contract Review - Can the Sales Manager be the process owner? Contract Review Process 4
V No "Process Owner" for the Control Plan - Who to cite in a corrective action? FMEA and Control Plans 10
M 'Process Approach' to ISO 9000 Internal Audits - Identify an 'owner' for each process Internal Auditing 15
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Social Media Feedback process for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Design process goal for ISO 9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 23
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 25
J ISO 14001 revision process ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
M What is the average time needed for process documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Changes in process dispersion, and location hypotheses tests Using Minitab Software 3