Process/Procedure Matrix/Register for all Business Activities

O

Obstacle3

I am up to 250 processes (down to level 4) and procedures for my business and some relate to multiple level 0 processes.

Any suggestions for a register/matrix that can reflect this relationship?

I have create reference libraries under each section of the business online with a hyperlink to the source document for each of these...thats the easy bit.

Showing how they relate is very difficult when you have this volume.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Obstacle3,
woh so many processes, IMHO, keep it simple and try to review some of the processes. They can be overlapping to each other...And probably you can down it to about < 30 Main Processes.
Raffy

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
I am up to 250 processes (down to level 4) and procedures for my business and some relate to multiple level 0 processes.

I have create reference libraries under each section of the business online with a hyperlink to the source document for each of these...thats the easy bit.

When you say "processes", do mean documented procedures/workinstructions?

Here is a post + attachments from our friend Craig Cochran. As you can see on the Process Matrix, appropriate documents can be linked with the process they support. Overlap is possible and is OK.

Stijloor.

Last edited:

harry

Super Moderator
You can try the 'mind-mapping' approach. Starting with QMS, to each individual process then branching into procedures, to sop/WI and then forms etc. (depending on how your QMS is organized). Or, level 2 then branch off to level 3 and then level 4.

J

JaneB

Gosh, that's one heck of a lot of processes. Are you sure you really need that many?:confused:

O

Obstacle3

Yeah it a lot but that includes the sub processes down to like level 4 or 5 and activities/procedures etc.

We have 6 main level 0 process, about 25 level 1 processes then about 70 level 2 processes.

I like the document that was linked above, that helps when dealing with level 0, 1 & 2s, but its tricky when you go below that.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Like others I reckon you have confused processes and procedures / instructions. I remember when ISO 9001.2000 was being developed and everyone was abuzz with 'the process approach' that someone reported British Telecom (BT) had been through this exercise and identified 15 processes for the range of services they offered. Here's a suggested starting point:
  • Win work
  • Do work
  • Planning for the future
  • Providing current resources
  • Monitoring our performance
If there is anything that can't fit into one of those headings with a bit of thought I'll be amazed.

This doesn't mean that everyone will end up with 5 - just that you should aim for a small number and, only when you feel there is a genuine need, to separate it out then call it a process.

There are plenty of other threads out there on the Cove about identifying processes. Perhaps someone else has a better grasp of the 'Search' facility than me?

O

Obstacle3

Excuse my ignorance, im not quite getting what you mean.

I started with six level 0 processes -
  1. Approval management and acceptance
  2. Planning and coordination
  3. Product Design and development
  4. Enhancement and distribution
  5. Review and analysis
  6. Business management and support
To give you an example, if we go into number 1, there are 16 key subprocesses to facilitate approval of the 5 types of requests we recieve. Eg

Beneath each one of these there will be a series of processes in some cases, as well as activities and procedures to facilitate completion of these tasks.

Using the BPMN model, the industry standard for process mapping, there is no way I can reduce the number of level 0 and level 1 processes we perform without making the whole thing even more layered. I just don't see how you can do it.

By level 4 you are at procedure/work instruction level, but that is what is required for our staff to efficiently produce a quality product...this is the standard procedure for releasing the product to the customer for review etc.

Does this even make sense?

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Excuse my ignorance, im not quite getting what you mean.
Not your ignorance, Obstacle 3 :)confused:) - mine. :) I do not know your business and merely react to the post - and in particular the '250 processes' headline.

I started with six level 0 processes -
  1. Approval management and acceptance
  2. Planning and coordination
  3. Product Design and development
  4. Enhancement and distribution
  5. Review and analysis
  6. Business management and support
Looks good to me. The list is different to mine but I can see that there is overlap between the two lists and that they cover the same ground. A top tip for identifying if you have identified your 'set' is to ask a question for each pair of processes. So for example: Can I manage and support the business without reviewing and analysis. If you can't say 'No' then you may need to rethink the scope of one or both process(es) as at least part of one is part of the other ... if you get my drift? :D

To give you an example, if we go into number 1, there are 16 key subprocesses to facilitate approval of the 5 types of requests we recieve. Eg
Was there something missing here? :confused: If your No. 1 is Approval management and acceptance
then I assume this is customer requests / enquiries and you have systems in place to decide if you can do the work.

Beneath each one of these there will be a series of processes in some cases, as well as activities and procedures to facilitate completion of these tasks.
Now this is where I would draw the line with calling anything a process. If you take the ISO definition I/P - transform - O/P they are strictly all processes as is buttering a slice of bread but in terms of focus the next tier adds nothing until you have buttoned down your Level 0.

So at this level whichever of the 16 (?) routes it comes in what are the key controls you want to see and what tells you if they have been applied and the work has been done well? Don't go down a level until you are happy here.

Using the BPMN model, the industry standard for process mapping, there is no way I can reduce the number of level 0 and level 1 processes we perform without making the whole thing even more layered. I just don't see how you can do it.
Like most things there are many 'industry standards' and methods of notation are just a means of recording. The clever bit is identifying the process steps and controls. A flowchart just represents these diagrammatically. Layering is good if everything is undersood at the top layer and the layer below adds value to the process above. You need to be careful not to document the nth degree if there is no value to the users.

By level 4 you are at procedure/work instruction level, but that is what is required for our staff to efficiently produce a quality product...this is the standard procedure for releasing the product to the customer for review etc.

Does this even make sense?
Perfect sense now that my ignorance has been reduced :)D). Don't forget this has to work for you but be careful you are not documenting stuff whose only existence will be on a shelf somewhere (physical or electronic).

J

JaneB

LIke Boris, I also reacted to the '250 processes' headline.

It's difficult to know what help to offer when the only things I know are that you have a LOT of processes, and that you're having trouble with the interactions...

It might help to think in terms of 'main processes' and 'sub-processes'. Because it sounds as though you don't have 250 processes, as much as you have a small number of main ones (0), with various associated dependent/sub ones, of which many, I gather relate to the level 0 ones.

Sometimes, I've found that when something's seriously complicated, it either means that it's not worth trying to do it (eg, draw up the matrix) or that first you have to simplify. If you did have such a matrix, what would it its value and use be? (Hope this doesn't sound unhelpful, definitely not trying to be!)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Product and process Deviation procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
John Predmore Configuration Management as a process instead of a procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Process Control / Control Charting Procedure Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
K Changing from Procedure based to Process based Competency Evaluations General Auditing Discussions 5
R Endless doubts and questions concerning procedure vs process. Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 22
M [Student] Documented Process vs Documented Procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L Return of Product Process - Procedure or Flowchart Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
V Making a choice of Simple vs Comprehensiveness of Procedure/System of any Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Incoming, In-Process, Final and Outgoing Quality Inspection Procedure examples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Writing a Sterilization Procedure when the Process is Subcontracted - ISO13485 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Recycling Procedure (ISO9001) - Do I need a documented process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
GURU SDI APQP Procedure For Sand Casting Process APQP and PPAP 6
E Procedure Templates for Training, Awareness and Competency Assessment Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Q Core Process without a Documented Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Process Approach Litmus Test - Procedure Titles ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
T Process Change in a Laboratory - Start Date for new Procedure - Management Opinions Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
D Establish a Documented Procedure (4.2.3) vs. Establish Process (7.6) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Crisis Management Process and Procedure or Flow Chart example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R AS9100C Special Process Procedure - Work Instruction for AS9100 Clause 7.5.2 wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Production Process deviated from Documented Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
sagai Process and/or Procedure Implementation SOP ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Request for a Design Control Procedure or Process Flow for HVAC Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V Definition Process vs. Procedure - Definitions and Differences in the Terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
F Procedure Required for Measuring a Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Z Does this Process need an established Documented Procedure? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J Process Flow Chart is a Work Procedure or a Work Guide, or a Work Instruction Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 28
R Layered Process Audits Procedure of Form Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 3
A ISO 27001:2005 ISMS implementation process & Procedure IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
I Outsourced Process Control Procedure review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K How to update from Procedure to Process - ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Procedure doesn't define the process - 7.1 Planning of Product Realization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
D Is Reservation of a Trade Name a Procedure or a Sub-Process Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
P Implement FAI process in my Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Process Validation procedure for ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Same auditor shouldn't do two consecutive Internal Audits on same Process/Procedure? General Auditing Discussions 12
G When to have top level procedure in order to have a work instruction for a process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
P New Tooling Approval Process Acceptance Procedure - Injection Molding - Thermoforming Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
DanteCaspian Procedure outline for hiring process Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M Temperature/humidity monitoring process procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q Procedure Revision Control/Approval Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Procedure for internal process mapping requests Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
V Control of Non Conforming Product procedure explaining the process for approval Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
V Internal Audit - Process based vs. Procedure based AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R Procedure for "Customer Acceptance of a design or process change" Design and Development of Products and Processes 12
P Control of Non Conforming Process Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
H Combining a Process Map and Written Procedure Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 44
A Stockroom Process Procedure example needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6