Process Qualification - Heat Treatment Process Furnace - What is Thermal Mapping?

D

dr madhavan

What is Thermal Mapping? Are there any standards or codes of practices for conducting this with reference to the Heat Treatment Process Furnaces? How frequently is it to be conducted?
Is it to be comparable to 'calibration' requirements?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Are you taking about establishing the temperature profile / heat zones within a belt furnace?

We check our belt furnace using a thermocouple a couple of times a year, compare the results to the temperature charts and previous readings.

Hope that helps

D

dr madhavan

Process Qualification

I am referring to 'Measurement of uniformity of Temperature across the cross-section as well as in the depath, particularly in 'PIT TYPE' Heat Treatment Furnaces -say, a Gas Carburising Furnace or even a Salt bath furnace.

L

lday38

Qualification - Heat Treatment Process Furnace - What is Thermal Mapping?

The thermocouples then are not used every time but are used to verify that the heat is consistent throughout the furnace. Is that correct?
When you say you compare them to the temperture, I believe your saying the gage outside of the furnace.
Have you ever heard of someone using the thermocouples for each lot during processing?
Where can I find out more about process controls for the heattreating process?
I understand that some suppliers use graphs? I would suppose the graph is a picture over time. Is that correct?

Thanks
Linda

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Re: Qualification - Heat Treatment Process Furnace - What is Thermal Mapping?

The thermocouples then are not used every time but are used to verify that the heat is consistent throughout the furnace. Is that correct?
It depends upon what your purpose is. I have seen processes where thermal profile devices go through with every lot, but that's not typical.

Thermal Mapping is taking an oven or furnace and profiling the temperature at different locations. If it's a long furnace line, you would choose multiple 'essential' points and monitor the temperature at each point. If it's a temperature chamber (such as a closed oven) you measure different points within the oven.

Some threads here: Thermal Profiling

Some other Thermal Profile resources.

L

lday38

Thank you , Marc
Yes, they are putting the thermocuple (3 of them) through each lot. The product is a shaft for a blender blade. Having never seen a thermocouple, I would think that it is recording the temperture in the differant locations. Right?
I am hearing that we will get charged more for charts , whch makes some sence. However, I would think they are recording data off these thermocouples that should be available for past lots if there is an issue.
Linda

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Are the 'thermocouples' traveling on the belt through the furnace, or are they measuring 3 points in an oven (i.e.: three places along the oven, as I assume this is a long belt oven)?

A thermocouple is two pieces of special wire which are welded together. There are different types each of which is for a specific temperature range. The ends of these wires are attached to a measurement device which measures electrical potential. Some people call the wire and the measurement device a 'thermocouple', but I'm from the old days where a thermocouple was the welded wire junction.

Wikipedia reference-linkThermocouple

There are devices which are a compact, single 'box' which can be run through an oven with a lot which internally records, or transmits to an external analyzer, the temperature as the device proceeds through an oven with a lot.

I need more specific information on what you're referring to - Spot measurements at places in an oven, or a device which actually goes through the oven with the lot.

** I assume this is a belt oven (long oven). Or, is this one big stationary oven?

Marc

Staff member
Admin
From an email: Hi there
Big statinary oven , atmospherically controlled.

Linda

In those you decide where you want thermocouples, but again it depends upon the oven design. Is it gas or electric? Is there an air mover which keeps air circulating or is it a 'static' oven?

I'm not sure what you mean by atmospherically controlled.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
K Is Mold qualification / process validation always required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J Simple supplier evaluation qualification process form that includes Risk Assessment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Qualification Builds & Process Changes (AS9102 - First Article Inspection) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
C Process Qualification Sample size Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Must I document qualification(s) or qualification process for Internal Auditors? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
P Approved Suppliers - ISO 13485 Normal Supplier Qualification Process Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
P Process or Performance Qualification Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M Process Qualification - What is the recommended Sample Size for PQ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
R Process Qualification, Equipment Qualification, Operator Qualification - Sequence? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Process Validation and Qualification of Legacy Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
R Line Leader Assessment form - Qualification process for production line leader Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
M Process Validation/Equipment Qualification - Class 1A (Sterile) Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S Operational Qualification for injection molding process Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M PQ and PPQ - Process Qualification for medical device manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Example Flow Chart of Qualification of Process wanted APQP and PPAP 3
Y NPI (New Product Introduction) Process Qualification System Required Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R Gage Tolerance vs. Process Parameter Tolerance - Process qualification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Q Determining the Appropriate Sample Size for Process Validation/Qualification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
J Product/Process Qualification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Social Media Feedback process for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Design process goal for ISO 9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 23