Process Qualification Sample size

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am performing a PQ on process that has been up and running for quite some time, but it is a special process so it requires a PQ.

How can I determine a sample size? Reference docs would really help, hint hint :D

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

Scott A. Bednar

Hi Candi,

Here is what I use when performing process qualifications. Sorry for the copy/paste. Hope is is readable. Shoot me an email if you need some clarification.

Best,
Scott

Sample size determination for process qualification and validations.

Confidence level and reliability % will be chosen based on risk analysis.

The following confidence and reliability levels should be used corresponding to the severity ranking from the risk document.

*Not many on the forum will agree with the C/R table below; too low or too high. The table that I am sharing is from a specific project at a former employer (medical device).

Severity (Confidence/Reliability)
CA 95/95
CR 90/95
M 90/90
N 80/90

Sample size for attribute data

Required Sample Size
Confidence Level
Reliability 80% 90% 95% 99% 99.9%
80% 8 11 13 21 31
85% 10 14 18 28 42
90% 16 22 28 44 66
95% 31 45 58 90 135
99% 160 229 298 458 687

Juran, J.M., and Godfrey, A.B., Juran?s Quality Handbook, McGraw-Hill, Inc.

Sample size for variable data when nothing is known about the process or its distribution

Required Sample Size
Confidence Level
Reliability 50% 70% 90% 95% 99% 99.5%
80% 9 12 18 22 31 34
85% 11 16 25 30 42 47
90% 17 24 38 46 64 72
95% 34 49 77 93 130 146
99% 168 244 388 473 662 740

Table X of Appendix II, Juran, J.M., and Godfrey, A.B., Juran?s Quality Handbook, McGraw-Hill, Inc.

Sample size for variable data when process average, specification limits, and process standard deviation are all known.

Use the one or two sided factors depending on whether the specification is one or two sided. The ?K? values in the table are determined from the following:
Minimum of (average ? LSL)/s, (USL ? average)/s
Where ?s? is the standard deviation and LSL and USL are the lower and upper specification limits.
When the ?K? value falls between 2 values of ?n?, round to the larger sample size.

Candi1024

Thanks Scott, that's good stuff right there. I'm going to put that in my back pocket for later. This is in reference to medical devices.

Part of my issue is that the lot size is small, say 25 per run, 1 run per shift (It's a long process).

Do you think AQL sampling would be a reasonable approach to take? AQL typically is used for ongoing or incoming inspection sampling, so I'm unsure if its a reasonable approach.

S

Scott A. Bednar

Do you have historical process data? Mean and Standard Deviation

What does your pFMEA and dFMEA say as far as risk level?

I am assuming that your product is costly and the testing is destructive?

Variable or attribute?

Last edited by a moderator:

Candi1024

Variable or attribute?
-No

-low

-Yes, it is destructive testing.

Variable or attribute?
-I could make it either a variable or an attribute.

S

Scott A. Bednar

Given your responses and not knowing much about the product, I would sample 16 from each production run over 3 days/runs. It may be expensive but that is the cost of doing business in some situations. You could take a look at the "sample plan analyzer" offered by Wayne Taylor (Taylor Enterprises). You could adjust your numbers from a risk perspective and possibly knock off a few additional samples. Contact me via email if you would like to discuss details about the process that you are not comfortable posting. Most of my process validation experience is related to plastics, injection molding, extrusion, post processing, cleaning, CNC (metals/plastics) and coatings (lubricants/drugs).

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
An alternative is to think of this as a process rather than a comparison of the new material to the old ( or to some specification) In PQ I tend to use control charts. this way I am not thinking about each lot as an isolated entity but part of a continuous process and my sample sizes can be substantially smaller.

If you have historical data we could help show you how sample sizes can get smaller and how you can use control charts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Process Qualification - What is the recommended Sample Size for PQ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
Q Determining the Appropriate Sample Size for Process Validation/Qualification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
K Is Mold qualification / process validation always required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J Simple supplier evaluation qualification process form that includes Risk Assessment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Qualification Builds & Process Changes (AS9102 - First Article Inspection) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Must I document qualification(s) or qualification process for Internal Auditors? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
P Approved Suppliers - ISO 13485 Normal Supplier Qualification Process Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
P Process or Performance Qualification Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
R Process Qualification, Equipment Qualification, Operator Qualification - Sequence? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Process Validation and Qualification of Legacy Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
R Line Leader Assessment form - Qualification process for production line leader Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
M Process Validation/Equipment Qualification - Class 1A (Sterile) Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S Operational Qualification for injection molding process Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M PQ and PPQ - Process Qualification for medical device manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Example Flow Chart of Qualification of Process wanted APQP and PPAP 3
Y NPI (New Product Introduction) Process Qualification System Required Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R Gage Tolerance vs. Process Parameter Tolerance - Process qualification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Product/Process Qualification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D Process Qualification - Heat Treatment Process Furnace - What is Thermal Mapping? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
Tagin Template or Checklist for Process Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
LostLouie Manufacturer divorced from Design process, is he justified in design process deficiencies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Outsourced process in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2