Process Standard deviations and equivalence of Cp & Cpk

A

anrappa

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen

By principle of natural tolerancing, the product tolerances are to be so selected that they lie within +/- 3SIGMA of the mfg process

My questions are :

1. Is a table / database giving the standard deviations of various processes(specifically machining processes)available.If yes, could somebody give me the reference/links.

If no, do we have to arrive at the standard deviation of various processes only thro analysis of past data.Could sombody clarify.

2. It is said that cpk = 1.67 implies cp = 2.00. How is this arrived at.

Regards::confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dave Strouse

Don't believe it exists

Thoughts on your questions-

(1) I don't think you will be successfull in finding any tables for process standard deviations. There are so many factors, I can't imagine they would be tabulated.

How are you going to use it anyway? I believe you will need to develop this data yourself.

(2) WHO says.
I don't understand what in the world is meant.
Cp is (USL-LSL)/6s.
Cpk is closest or minimum of (USL- xbar/3s, Xbar-LSL/3s). The relationship of Cp to Cpk is Cpk =Cp(1-k) where k (|m-u|/(USL-LSL)/2 and m = (USL+LSL)/2 or the midpoint. But 0 to 1 is the range for k. So Cpk can be almost any value in relation to Cp.
The statement as I read it says that a Cpk of 1.67 always has Cp of 2. One counter example should disprove this.
Consider where LSL is 0 , USL is 10 sigma . Midpoint of spec is at 5 sigma. Cp is 10/6 or 1.67. Since a distribution could be centered on the mean i.e. k=0, we also have Cpk of 1.67.
Let's approach it another way. When will cp of 2 equal cpk 1.67?
From the formula above 1.67 = 2(1-k) or k =0.165.
So only at the k=0.165 value will the statement be true. Don't see how it implies anything remarkable.

A

Atul Khandekar

anrappa,

There are no 'standard' values for process std. deviations for manufacturing processes. In any case if you set the tolerance limits 'within' your +/- 3 Sigma limits what would be the process capability? Tolerance represents Customer's voice and process spread is the voice of the process. You will have to study your individual process variation and review tolerances only when it is just not possible for the process to produce within tolerance. I will quote from Grant:

"..specification limit is, of course, the service need of the part. This is not primarily a statistical matter....It often happens that the service needs can be judged more accurately with the aid of statistical methods....There is no use specifying desired tolerances on any quality characteristic without some prospect that these can be met...."

You could determine the variaton by conducting experiments and probably tell the designers what you can achieve. If you best effort does not meet the service requirement, I suppose you'll have to look for a better process.

Cpk=1.67 DOES NOT automatically imply Cp=2. This should be apparent from the formulas used to compute these indices as well as from a simple diagram that explains Cp/Cpk. Look at :
http://www.symphonytech.com/articles/processcapability.htm

Cp is (Spec width/process width).This does not take into account the centering of the precess. Cpk does that. (As Dave has already explained)

I think you are confusing this with something else -like a six-sigma process has Cp=2 etc?

-Atul.

That's it..

Yep that's it
Cp is (Spec width/process width).This does not take into account the centering of the precess. Cpk does that. (As Dave has already explained)
So, simply put you can have a process that is centered way outside tolerance limits and still get a good Cp value, because the spread is good. The Cpk value, on the other hand would be very poor indeed.

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T Where in the ISO 9001 standard it asks for process based auditing? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 6
M Process Records requirements for TS16949 standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
A Standard Root Causes in a process orientated engineering company Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 17
V Standard for Metal Stamping Deburring Process APQP and PPAP 5
M Change Control Process - Deviation from Standard for Parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
H Is there a Standard on the Reuse of Resin in Extrusion Process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Process Interaction Model in ISO 9001 Standard Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
J Process Control/Standard Deviation Question on a One Sided Specification Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Z Reduced Sampling based on Process Capability (AS9100 Standard) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
B Declining Standard of QMS Certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
L Standard for process control level depending on gravity (severity)? FMEA and Control Plans 7
D Industry Standard or rules or best practices pertaining to Automotive Process Flows? APQP and PPAP 3
Sidney Vianna New ISO/IEC standard: quality of IT system / software engineering life cycle process Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
5 Process based Internal Audits, instead of auditing to the elements of the standard Internal Auditing 21
H Design of a Process - Standard Work with no Layout Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
J Does GM require an Inspection Standard in the APQP process? APQP and PPAP 3
C Standard for TS 16949 process audits? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 7
L Standard Deviation - Process Output is Stable and Normally Distributed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
I ISO 13485 Practical Internal Audit Checklist - Standard vs. Process Based Internal Auditing 26
V Planning Internal Process Audits to the new standard - ISO 9001:2000 Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 7
Marc SPICE: ISO Standard for Software Process Assessment Software Quality Assurance 1
M Process & Product Characteristic in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
S Consolidated Analysis Report for Moulding Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P ISO 11607-2 Process Specification Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Q Best off presentation of process flows Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
Q Logistics process flow ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Process FMEA for Laser Cutting/Press Brake/Welding FMEA and Control Plans 2
H Control of Change i.e. process and WI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
F Is this misuse of the MRB process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
L Product and process Deviation procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ch00Ch00 How to evaluate a process ? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Implants made by Additive Manufacturing process approved by USFDA Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Q Process Key figures and reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Ch00Ch00 Evaluate a process - Issue number Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
F Rules of process outsourcing in China China Medical Device Regulations 1
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
P Certification process for registered device China Medical Device Regulations 12
J NCR- Failure of contract review process - NADCAP audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Melissa Process Validation of Rotary Heat Sealer Speeds Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
C Validation of process for production and servicing 5.7.1.5 API Spec Q1, 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
Z IA Construction Procurement Process Internal Auditing 3
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
DuncanGibbons Process flow & PFMEA for production planning and simulation activities? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
N Help with understanding Process Controls Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M VDA 6.3 – Workshop for Certified Process Auditor VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
C Process Consistency Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I PFD (Process Flow Diagram) approach. Setup details as part of PFD? APQP and PPAP 5