Process Validation Before/After Sterilization?

ga2qa23

Involved In Discussions
Hi All, I have a prototype medical device that's a single-use medium-risk handheld tool. It has buttons on the outside and a battery on the inside. I send parts to the vendor who assembles it, does packaging, and does sterilization (via Ethylene Oxide) so it can be sold to customers.

The vendor is already able to do full process validation for the packaging and sterilization, but they only test the product afterwards to ensure that the sterile container isn't compromised (maintains sterility). It's up to my team to determine how to test for functionality. We need to confirm that the product remains functional after shipping testing, and also after sterilization & accelerated aging (for shelf life). Our 'functionality' is basically to prove the buttons work and that the battery lasts for 3 hours of continuous operation.

The FDA regulation 21 CFR § 820.75 "Process validation" requires that "Where the results of a process cannot be fully verified by subsequent inspection and test, the process shall be validated". There are two problems here...
  • I cannot test the functionality of products by 100% inspection because the 'battery test' would be to literally use up the battery by running it for 3 hours.
  • I also cannot test the functionality of products by 100% inspection after the entire process is over, because it would be 'destructive' testing to tear open the sterile container.
Could anyone please help me or point out some resources to read? I already tried reading through the GHTF SG3 Process Validation Guidance for Medical Devices (recognized by FDA): https://www.imdrf.org/sites/default...g3-n99-10-2004-qms-process-guidance-04010.pdf
  1. If our design input requirement states that the battery must last for 3 hours then do I need to literally have a huge batch of devices running for 3 hours? Can I instead just test that the battery is working at all (pass/fail) and also state that the battery OEM has validated the battery to have a certain capacity, which would last 3 hours for the power drawn by my device design?
  2. Am I required to perform a 100% inspection ('functional test') of the product immediately after assembly, before packaging/sterilization?
  3. Or can I instead just 'validate' the functionality of the product after it's been packaged/sterilized/aged?
  4. If I only 'validate' the functionality after packaging/sterilization/aging, then what should my "control plan" look like? Would I have to re-test a small sample size from every future batch manufactured, or could I instead provide some justification that re-testing for functionality isn't necessary until a design change / etc. occurs?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ECHO

Involved In Discussions
I don't have any reading I can point you to but I used to work on a very similar device (minus the battery).

1. For us, all of our design verification was done post sterilization. Therefore, question number 1 was met by pointing to the DVer.
2. Next, after each device was built, we had a quick performance test to make sure everything was working before we sent it to packaging/sterilization.
3. I am not sure what you mean by this. For us, we did all of the functionality testing after sterilization with out aging. We then did it again after accelerated aging, half aged and full. The testing also showed that the functionality of the device was equivalent through out the different durations.
4. I won't retest the functionality unless there was a change in design. You will need a "control plan" to make sure that your design is being "manufactured consistently". For this, I think it will depend on what your volume and manufacturing process looks like.

ga2qa23

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate getting advice from someone who has this experience. Could I please get some clarification on what you meant by some things...

1. For us, all of our design verification was done post sterilization. Therefore, question number 1 was met by pointing to the DVer.
So did you get a single product post-sterilization and use that for design verification?
Does "DVer" stand for "Design Verification Engineering Report"?

2. Next, after each device was built, we had a quick performance test to make sure everything was working before we sent it to packaging/sterilization.
Was your "quick performance test" different than your full functionality test? (I'm guessing it's limited in-process 100% check and related to an actual process validation).

3. I am not sure what you mean by this. For us, we did all of the functionality testing after sterilization with out aging. We then did it again after accelerated aging, half aged and full. The testing also showed that the functionality of the device was equivalent through out the different durations.
Why did you do functionality testing before accelerated aging, if you did it anyway after accelerated aging? I thought that you could just do functional testing after accelerated aging and it automatically tell you that the device is functional before the aging. (I want to cut down on test samples because we may possibly need to run each unit for at least 4 hours of continuous operation).

4. I won't retest the functionality unless there was a change in design. You will need a "control plan" to make sure that your design is being "manufactured consistently". For this, I think it will depend on what your volume and manufacturing process looks like.
How did you have a "control plan" if you weren't re-testing the functionality periodically? I thought that a "control plan" required periodic sample testing. Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the term. I thought that "control plan" was synonymous with FDA Performance Qualification (PQ). I attached document someone forwarded me that describes it.

Attachments

ECHO

Involved In Discussions
So did you get a single product post-sterilization and use that for design verification?
Does "DVer" stand for "Design Verification Engineering Report"?
Dver = Design Verification. We always pointed to the Verification Protocol since we had multiple instances of the report and we didn't want to update documents every time we reran the protocol.
Not sure what you mean by "single product post-sterilization". We packaged all the devices individually and a "lot" got sterilized using e-beam. We then tested ~30 devices for the verification (I can't remember the exact number). We had a document that had some statistical analysis that showed how many we should test for a particular confidence number.

Was your "quick performance test" different than your full functionality test? (I'm guessing it's limited in-process 100% check and related to an actual process validation).
Yes, we just checked that the buttons were working.

Why did you do functionality testing before accelerated aging, if you did it anyway after accelerated aging? I thought that you could just do functional testing after accelerated aging and it automatically tell you that the device is functional before the aging. (I want to cut down on test samples because we may possibly need to run each unit for at least 4 hours of continuous operation).
Mainly because our accelerated aging took 90 days. We didn't want to wait 90 days to find out we needed to fix something.
We also used the pre-aging data to show equivalence (I am not sure if this was a must).

How did you have a "control plan" if you weren't re-testing the functionality periodically? I thought that a "control plan" required periodic sample testing. Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the term. I thought that "control plan" was synonymous with FDA Performance Qualification (PQ). I attached document someone forwarded me that describes it.
I feel like every company uses these terms differently :)
Maybe this website will clear things up for you: A Basic Guide to IQ, OQ, PQ in FDA-Regulated Industries

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Release of the first batch of a cleared product before process validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I Are suppliers required to hand over process validation reports? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Performance Qualification and Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Machine rebuilds versus process re-validation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Vision system process validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B SPECIAL PROCESS VALIDATION & REVALIDATION Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
B How to satisfy clause 5.7.1.5 process validation for valve production API 6D Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 13
Melissa Process Validation of Rotary Heat Sealer Speeds Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Validation of process for production and servicing 5.7.1.5 API Spec Q1, 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
mustomutlu Process Validation Final Report Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R PCBA process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B API Q1 5.7.1.5 Process Validation - Machining, heat treating, Manganese Phosphate and Zinc Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D ISO13485:2016 7.5.6 Process Validation Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Z Who is responsible for writing the validation of a new process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Requirement for manufacturing process validation in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
E Sampling plan for orthopedic implant - Process Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Z Class 2 medical device - Process Validation - Test sterile or non-sterile units? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
T ISO 13485:2016 - Processes exempt from process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
K Is Mold qualification / process validation always required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Process Validation on CNC Lathe and Milling machining process Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
R Process Validation sample size selection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
P Auditing "process validation" process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
E Cleaning Validation Process of Non-Sterile Implants and Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
W Design and Process Validation - Different? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Supplier - Process Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Medical Device Process validation, Validation of excel spreadsheets used for process Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
V Tyvek packaging for Medical device process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
L Process Definition and Process Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Can we sell units that were chosen for process validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S How do I do a Process Validation for soldering process Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S Process validation when changing location ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
A Process Validation of QMS Software ISO 13485: 2016 Cl. 4.1.6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 26
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
GoSpeedRacer Validation of Processes 7.5.6 - Do cosmetic welds need process validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Is Aeration Process in ETO Sterilization Validation Required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
C Does Japan accept the Bracketing Approach for Process Validation Japan Medical Device Regulations 1