SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Process Validation - Hand soldering of components & wires on PCB - Special Process?

K

Kumuda

We are ISO 9001: 2000 certified, In our company we do hand soldering of components / wires on PCB. Is it a special process??? Should we validate this process???

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

AllanJ

Kumuda said:
We are ISO 9001: 2000 certified, In our company we do hand soldering of components / wires on PCB. Is it a special process??? Should we validate this process???
This is a curious question. If you are "certified" one would presume your registrar has satisfied itself whether or not you should validate your soldering process. If your registrar feels you must validate your soldering process, because presently you do not (I assume you do not, hence your question) why then did he/ she certify you? One either complies with the standard or one does not.

If your registrar has no opinion on the matter, I would suggest you decide whether or not validating the soldering process is of benefit to your business. If it was my company, I would certainly qualify the solderers by first training them in soldering, then by training them in the particular soildering proocess to be used and then by examining/ testing a test piece of their work, record the results of the test and also save (space permitting) the test pieces made if there is a safety related or legal risk associated with the soldering done.

To validate the process I would, of course, also examine/ test the resultant solder joints. Perhaps an appropriate sample would suffice, according to the volume of solder work to be done.

I hope this is of some use to you.

K

Kumuda

Validation of process

Thx for ur input Allan.
We have been following all the steps that u hv mentioned for validating the soldering process as of now (except for giving PCB's for test soldering & maintaining the same.) Our qualification methodology for personnel on soldering job is only a written test. All that is fine
But what exactly Iam still not able to comprehend is, Does soldering require validation at all when subsequent inspection can identify the product conformity to the requirements??

Can somebody throw some light on this

A

AllanJ

Kumuda said:
Thx for ur input Allan.
We have been following all the steps that u hv mentioned for validating the soldering process as of now (except for giving PCB's for test soldering & maintaining the same.) Our qualification methodology for personnel on soldering job is only a written test. All that is fine
But what exactly Iam still not able to comprehend is, Does soldering require validation at all when subsequent inspection can identify the product conformity to the requirements??

Can somebody throw some light on this
You originally asked whether or not your soldering is a "special process". That expression appeared some years ago in the early quality standards, such as ANSI N45. Indeed, soldering was often listed as one such.

The expression eventually appeared in the 1987 edition of ISO as clause 4.9.2. But, the definition of a "special process" was always silly. As I explained in the first edition of my book "Meeting ISO 9000 in a TQM World", page 198, "I have not encountered any product that cannot be verified by one means or another, including putting it into trial use. There is always an test/ inspection that can fully verify the product - after all that is precisely what one's customers do."

So, I would not think your soldering would need validation at all by any additional means to those you seem to be currently undertaking.

But I would still be uneasy about only requiring a written test for your process owners. It is my view that theory and practice are two entirely different matters. When it comes to a process, I believe in hands-on demonstration by the individual they can do the job correctly.

I hope this also helps.

K

Kumuda

Validation of process

Okay,
Then can I show cl-7.5.2 as exclusion??? & if so, under which clause should I show testing personnel for soldering?

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Why claim an exclusion?

Kumuda said:
Okay,
Then can I show cl-7.5.2 as exclusion??? & if so, under which clause should I show testing personnel for soldering?
I have to ask why you are starting off trying to get an exclusion for clause 7.5.2. Even though some people will argue the point each element of ISO 9001 is there for a purpose. For 7.5.2 it is there because people realize there are processes out there that you cannot inspect once they are complete. Soldering is one of them.

So the principle is that if you cannot readily inspect the quality of a solder joint you should validate the soldering process.

AllanJ said:
But, the definition of a "special process" was always silly.
The wording might be "silly" but the idea is not.

AllanJ said:
"I have not encountered any product that cannot be verified by one means or another, including putting it into trial use. There is always an test/ inspection that can fully verify the product - after all that is precisely what one's customers do."?
I think this misses the point. The new standard uses the terms "monitor" and "measure" related to the process output (solder joint). The implication is that it is something to be carried out within the organisation. The idea is that if the products from a process are not able to be inspected or measured readily then the company needs to take steps to ensure the process is working well and is robust so as to ensure products that get as far as the customer do work and they aren't filtering out the poor quality products and returning them.

AllanJ said:
So, I would not think your soldering would need validation at all by any additional means to those you seem to be currently undertaking.
Perhaps Kumuda you need to consider the application and the risk of poor quality joints getting out to the market place and then decide what level of validation you need in parallel with internal product monitoring and process measuring.

A

AllanJ

Paul Simpson said:
I think this misses the point. The new standard uses the terms "monitor" and "measure" related to the process output (solder joint). The implication is that it is something to be carried out within the organisation. The idea is that if the products from a process are not able to be inspected or measured readily then the company needs to take steps to ensure the process is working well and is robust so as to ensure products that get as far as the customer do work and they aren't filtering out the poor quality products and returning them.
Exactly so. Considering the use abuse and misuse to which a product might be subjected as well as determining the capability of an item to withstand inter alia, the actual usage conditions is an essential part of the R&D and design functions. Once that is done, one can prescribe whatever in-house tests/ inspections/ checks and so forth that would mimic/ simulate/ reproduce the type of usage/ environment etc to which the end user (a subtle but important distinction from the customer) may put that product. It is something that is not new: in fact has been rather well established for decades. My post was not suggesting the firm should do what (for example) certain well-known elements of the software industry tend to do: i.e. outsource the product verification to the customer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Melissa Process Validation of Rotary Heat Sealer Speeds Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Validation of process for production and servicing 5.7.1.5 API Spec Q1, 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
mustomutlu Process Validation Final Report Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R PCBA process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B API Q1 5.7.1.5 Process Validation - Machining, heat treating, Manganese Phosphate and Zinc Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D ISO13485:2016 7.5.6 Process Validation Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Z Who is responsible for writing the validation of a new process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Requirement for manufacturing process validation in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
E Sampling plan for orthopedic implant - Process Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Z Class 2 medical device - Process Validation - Test sterile or non-sterile units? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
T ISO 13485:2016 - Processes exempt from process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
K Is Mold qualification / process validation always required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Process Validation on CNC Lathe and Milling machining process Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
Q Release of the first batch of a cleared product before process validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Process Validation sample size selection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
P Auditing "process validation" process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
E Cleaning Validation Process of Non-Sterile Implants and Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
W Design and Process Validation - Different? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Supplier - Process Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Medical Device Process validation, Validation of excel spreadsheets used for process Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
V Tyvek packaging for Medical device process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
L Process Definition and Process Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Can we sell units that were chosen for process validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S How do I do a Process Validation for soldering process Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S Process validation when changing location ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
A Process Validation of QMS Software ISO 13485: 2016 Cl. 4.1.6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 26
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
GoSpeedRacer Validation of Processes 7.5.6 - Do cosmetic welds need process validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Is Aeration Process in ETO Sterilization Validation Required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
C Does Japan accept the Bracketing Approach for Process Validation Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
A Robotic Sanding and Painting Process Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
alonFAI Gamma Irradiation Process Validation Help Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
J Where does process validation fit within design & development? Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
O Process Mapping prior to Validation and Software to use to Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
M Justification for Not Having a Validation Plan for a Critical Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
alonFAI PCBAs Process Validation Help (Regulations FDA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2