Processes in Design & Development - Have you Defined Manufacturing Process Designs?

R

Roger Eastin

Processes in Design & Development

I see that the addition of manufacturing process design and development survived in the release of TS16949. Does anyone have ideas on how to implement this with respect to the sections in 7.3? How have you(will you) defined manufacturing process design? How have you (will you) defined process development?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I think the thing here is just to loosen one's paradigm of 'Design'. It's just to say you have to have a process like the APQP process. As far as development - data / process feedback and continuous improvement is how I read it.

Thoughts from others?

R

Randy Stewart

We've taken the APQP route also. Process development comes from our Contract Review process and die line up sheets and similar commodities. Our process design takes customer requirements (material, specs, etc.) as inputs, links them to what was discussed in the process development to come up with a prototype control plan. The rest is monitoring and verification of the output.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
This is in fact an option in ISO9001:2000, note to 7.1
NOTE 2 The organization may also apply the requirements given in 7.3 to the development of product realization processes.
To my mind this is just a sensible recognition by ISO of what the auto industry has been pushing.

PPAP is PART and PROCESS Approval.

The main problem in most companies is the connection between development and production, this should make the development aware of their responsibility to design a part that can be produced and ensure input of production in their process. This is the essence of APQP.

X

Xman

...development of product realization processes...

I guess another way to word this could simply be the old line "Design for Manufacturability"?

Q

qsmso

Mfg process design performance

Dear friends,
If anyone can help me for some example of Manufacturing Process Design Performance?
We are trying to create some. Right now, what we think about are
- Overall Equipment Effectveness
- MTBF, MTTR
- VA/VE target achivement
- % of achieving productivity target
- Lead time of issuing PPAP

But some staffs say, we should monitor our design process as
- How fast we can establish Control Plan
- How fast we can establish PFMEA

Not sure correct or enough?
Really need some samples and advice.

Regards,
QSMSO

bpritts

Involved - Posts
qsmso,

We are using as measurements:

1. Meeting customer cpk targets for process capability
2. Meeting our quoted cycle time (efficiency)

right now, only those 2 measures. We will probably add

3. Meeting project timeline for development/launch

I would suggest that you keep it very simple at first.

Regards,

Brad

P

p_tww

qsmso said:
Dear friends,
If anyone can help me for some example of Manufacturing Process Design Performance?
We are trying to create some. Right now, what we think about are
- Overall Equipment Effectveness
- MTBF, MTTR
- VA/VE target achivement
- % of achieving productivity target
- Lead time of issuing PPAP

But some staffs say, we should monitor our design process as
- How fast we can establish Control Plan
- How fast we can establish PFMEA

Not sure correct or enough?
Really need some samples and advice.

Regards,
QSMSO

Most targets you said is against quality of design process, you could also monitor the timing/cost control for each project.
say, 100% on time design, 100% cost achiving(better for lower than forecast) etc.\
I did not agree for how fast we can establish control plan etc. It's too detailed and nothing benefit for improvement of design process.

B

ben sortin

I tend to think of the inputs and outputs of the manufacturing design process as verification of a robust design. We tell the design activity three things:

The product must work.
The product must fit.
The product must look good.

3 for 3 - we may make money.
2 for 3 - we (manufacturing) can fix it.
1 for 3 - we need design changes implemented before we can fix it.
0 for 3 - we may lose a customer.

T

Tom W

Working at a commercial heat treater, that is really all we do is process design, (when you are talking about design and development). It did require us to think about our process design process more, but we really did not change much. We do alot of automotive and found our current system of APQP and PPAP to be very effective. We do no product design, so it makes it a challange to determine where we draw the line for design and development.

Designing processes is done constantly, in all manufacturing sectors. Some were developed years ago, while others are new. We don't re-create heat treating, we start with a base, or what we call a standard service and we expand to include any customer requriements, etc.

Each company has to determine their processes and thus their process design process. The measureables that you create should tie into the quality objective, (we use a modified QOS system). Process performance can be also based on customer requriements and production / productivity goals like has been mentioned.

Top Bottom