Producing to Inactive ASTM and IEC Standards

Hello Quality people!

I'm conducting an audit and learned that the company I'm investigating isn't producing to the most recent ASTM standard or IEC standard for the product they manufacture. The latest revision of each standard was released almost four years ago so they have had plenty of time to get switched over. My question is - is it required that you produce to the most up-to-date standards or is it just in your best interest? I understand in the ISO world you'd want to be producing to the latest and greatest but I also know that in the Aerospace standard requirements, it's pretty mandated by the customer that the swap be made upon the expiration of the current certification.

Thanks a bunch!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
It depends. What does the contract language say? I worked with an aerospace prime that prohibited us from producing to newer revisions of certain standards - we had to stick to a certain revision, even if superceded.

It depends. What does the contract language say? I worked with an aerospace prime that prohibited us from producing to newer revisions of certain standards - we had to stick to a certain revision, even if superceded.
Ahh good thought but the contracts aren't holding them up here.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Then what does the standard itself say? Sometimes they specify their policy on revision adoption.

The question is valid -- is it required that you produce to the most up-to-date standards. The company should be able to answer.

As an auditor, if you can't find a shall they violate, there is no NC.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
In some cases "no changes allowed" is interpreted to include no using a newer version of standards. In other cases use of the latest version is expected. It depends on how the requirements are written. However often the documentation is not clear on this point because no one thought about it when writing the documentation.

Ask the supplier why. If they point to a no changes clause, is their interpretation reasonable? If they can't point to a no changes clause somewhere that plausibly requires them to keep using an older version, then they are probably not paying attention, cheap, etc.

Thank you all for the input. The product they manufacture is not compliant to the current standard so this ended up coming down to a matter of what my company was willing to accept. I ended up reading both revisions of the standard and aside from formatting, they're exactly the same. So at this point, I don't think there is actually an issue right? They showed me a test report to the old revision of the standard saying everything was qualified two years ago and since nothing technical changed in the standard, we should just be able to say we are inspecting/testing to the new standard, correct? Or do we have to requalify the material again because of the new revision?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thank you all for the input. The product they manufacture is not compliant to the current standard so this ended up coming down to a matter of what my company was willing to accept.
Is the standard called out on the drawing(s)? If so, does it specify that the latest revision must be used? Sometimes benighted designers will call out a revision level, which technically means that nothing other than the specified version must be used, regardless of how many times the standard has been updated.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
You say "The product they manufacture is not compliant to the current standard".

But if the standard didn't change except for the formatting, or something else unrelated to how the product was built, it would seem to be fully compliant, except one could argue that the paperwork may need to be updated to reflect compliance to the latest revision.

You say "The product they manufacture is not compliant to the current standard".

But if the standard didn't change except for the formatting, or something else unrelated to how the product was built, it would seem to be fully compliant, except one could argue that the paperwork may need to be updated to reflect compliance to the latest revision.
I finally got my hands on a copy of the old spec and was able to read them both and see that it was just formatting changes so yes, they are compliant and I'm thinking it is a paperwork issue alone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna IAF PR 7:2022 - Requirements for Producing IAF Mandatory Documents on Transitions ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
S Biggest issues when producing MDR compliant Technical Files / DD EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MSA Study Type 1 not capable. We are at the limit. And manufacturing wants to continue producing. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
qualprod What tier number fits in a company producing paper labels stuck on automotive parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Producing IATF 16949 compliant calibration certificates IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
Q IATF 16949 Scope - Producing multiple products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Quality Plan Template for producing a New Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
C X-Ray Producing Product Regulations in Mexico, Central America, and South America Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
D Retrospective Validation - Producing Product Over 10 Years Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
N AS9102 Internet Service for Producing FAIR's to AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Producing a supplier audit system for my TS 16949 organisation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S PPAP on Prototype tooling? Producing components for internal customer (assembly) APQP and PPAP 5
Q Is there an international system standard for producing electrical components? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
P SPC in job shop? CNC machine producing a max of 50 pieces per job Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
A Audit day - Production Planning - Must we be producing product? General Auditing Discussions 14
S APQP Timetable - The stage to producing a sample - Seeking Advice IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
V Micro Contamination - Emoderivates (producing albumin, etc from human plasma) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Reactivation of inactive facility US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Marc Inactive Members "Pruned" / Deleted - 3 January 2019 Forum News and General Information 1
Q Special 510(k) or New Traditional - Currently Inactive Products Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
V Inactive Gauge Retention Time - PPAP Section 6 Requirements APQP and PPAP 1
S Difference between Obsolete, Void and Inactive Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
RoxaneB Unemployed, Not Inactive Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
P Inactive Status of a Laboratory - Reactivation for NABL Accreditation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
Q Obsolete Documents vs. Inactive Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
L Annual Requalification because the tool is inactive APQP and PPAP 2
A Inactive FAA Repair Station Certificates Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 8
K re-PPAP for "inactive" tooling APQP and PPAP 2
L ASTM F88 Seal Strength of pouches - amount samples per pouch (discussion) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
B ASTM, Steel HEat traceability and mixing at distributors/reprocessors Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
C Calibration Procedures and ASTM CALIBRATION standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B ASTM A53 Marking of length on recut pipes by processor Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
S ASTM F86 x Biocompatibility Issues Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
C MIL STD vs ASTM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M ASTM F1717 Static and Dynamic Testing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
S ASTM F2077-18 vs ASTM F2077-03 Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
M Packaging standards - ASTM vs ISTA Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Label Making & Printing Standards ISO / ASTM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Packaging studies - ISTA vs ASTM CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Moumen H Variations between ASTM A29 Standard for steel bars and Mill test certificates specs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
N Database that lists labs accredited to ASTM / ANSI standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
H Difference between Stainless Steel 316 ASTM F899 and ASTM A276 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P What ASTM std is EC 93/42 MDD EQUIVALENT TO CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
W ASTM F1929 dye penetration test - Validation for in-house testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
D ASTM C1064 Temperature Measuring Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Troubleshooting Salt Spray (ASTM B117) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2