Product Audit - Traceability of Sand used

ajay.khosla

Involved In Discussions
hi to all the quality gurus
I am in a forging industry,actually in this firm i want to start doing product audit.we are already doing PDI'S,the problem is that when sand comes they put it in a big pit and it becomes impossible to know that from which lot of sand core is getting made,so traceability becomes difficult.
So,tell me how can i start it or how can i overcome this situation

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Re: product audit

I am in a forging industry,actually in this firm i want to start doing product audit.we are already doing PDI'S,the problem is that when sand comes they put it in a big pit and it becomes impossible to know that from which lot of sand core is getting made,so traceability becomes difficult.
Can you first clarify, is it a casting industry that is mentioned as forging by mistake?
I handle Casting Suppliers, as far as I know, traceability for Core sand is uncalled for. But to let the experts clarify your doubt, do explain also your need for maintaining traceability (for Core Sand).

ajay.khosla

Involved In Discussions

ohhh i am really sorry actually i had to write foundry but by mistake i wrote forging,sorry for that sir.
now the question is this sir that as you know product audit kinda checks traceability also as u go from last step to first step in an industry checking various parameters for a specific product(made from control plan).now the thing is this that whenever core section comes into play,traceability of sand becomes difficult,this is the problem like from which lot of sand that specific core was made.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

ohhh i am really sorry actually i had to write foundry but by mistake i wrote forging,sorry for that sir.
now the question is this sir that as you know product audit kinda checks traceability also as u go from last step to first step in an industry checking various parameters for a specific product(made from control plan).now the thing is this that whenever core section comes into play,traceability of sand becomes difficult,this is the problem like from which lot of sand that specific core was made.
If you really need this traceability, can you not have two pits made (ex. pit 1 / pit 2) and fill each with a known sand lot identification ? Cover one and use the other. Use the pits something like a two bin inventory system. While the one is in use, replenish the other and identify the sand lot in it.
Does the sand go back to the pit after use ? I am not from foundry experience but I know that the sand is reused in some cases. Please clarify. If it does go back, then the traceability has much less meaning.
Like Chennaiite asked earlier, what do you do with this traceability information .. ?

ajay.khosla

Involved In Discussions

yes,sand can be used again,with traceability,i will get to know that from which lot the defective core has been made.moreover,one advantage of doing product audit is also traceability
And we can make two pits as its a very very large pit,no one will agree to it

D

DrM2u

:read:If I am reading this correctly it seems to me like you are looking at sand traceabiltiy as part of correlating problems with cores/molds to a specific lot of sand and not as part of the final product traceability. Is this correct?

Like Chennaiite mentioned before, traceability of the product to the core/mold sand is rarely (if ever) requested from a foundry. As a matter of fact I recall that in most cases the traceabiltiy of the cast part is to the chemical composition analysis for each lot/batch of molten material (along with some physical or mechanical properties sometimes). This means that you do not need to maintain traceability to the sand or to the components that go in the furnace or crucible. There is no value and extreme difficulty in maintaining such a traceability.

Now if you want sand traceability for problem solving and/or containment purposes, then Somashekar's proposed solution of multiple pits (at least two for virgin sand and one for recycled) might help address your needs. Another option is to do a chemical analysis for each batch of sand in use to ensure that you have the proper amount of binding agent, humidity, compresability, etc.

I hope that my :2cents: help along with the other postings.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource

yes,sand can be used again,with traceability,i will get to know that from which lot the defective core has been made.moreover,one advantage of doing product audit is also traceability
And we can make two pits as its a very very large pit,no one will agree to it
Ajay,

It is extremely important to first understand the extent of traceability required. I had come across this thread in the recent past where the "extent" of traceability is discussed at length. Hope this would help.

As far as my knowledge goes, Core sand batch variation, per se, contributes little for the (Core) defects and to think of traceability under this context does not add value.:nope:

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
What standard are you certified to?
This will make difference.
In your experience have you traced problems in parts back to the sand?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Generally speaking, this type of bulk approach is a challenge at best. If you get back to production date you are doing pretty well. If you can get to date of receipt you are above the crowd. Dow side, if there is a failure later with the product, you need to be able to narrow the sand down to some date or series of dates (or lots if you prefer).

That may be determined by such things as how many piles there are, how often sand is received into them, and how fast you go through the sand.

Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Product audit finding? Traceability of a component from a purchased assembly General Auditing Discussions 3
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
D What are the important things to keep track of in product audit checklist? Software Quality Assurance 3
B Is it necessary to conduct product audit of entire product which is manufactured in the company as per IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q IATF 16949 - Product audit - Must each product be audited? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
U Dock Audits - Isn't waiting to do an audit when the product is "supposed" to ship a little late? Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
W Product Audit - It must be a separate and distinct activity (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S IATF 16949 - Manufacturing and Product Audit Approach IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
B TS16949 Section 8.2.2.3 Product Audit - Requirements for various Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
K Please share a Product Audit Checklist for a Wafer Fab Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q Internal Audit of Product Quality Complaint System (21 CFR Part 820) Customer Complaints 9
C TS16949: Product Audit vs. "Regular Checks" Internal Auditing 1
P May I combine the Process Audit and Product Audit into Delphi's LSR? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
J Questionable Audit Finding about Revision Levels of Product Manual CD's ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Requirement for NB audit with Discontinued Product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Product and Process Audit according to ISO/TS 16949:2009 Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 9
S Supplier Audit Questionnaire for aerospace product suppliers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
C Anvisa Manufacturer Audit - Product produced at two different Sites Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
W Definition Product Audit - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
O Product Audit for Rubber Parts for Automotive Industry IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q How to Audit the Client Quality System - Product Failure caused by no Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L EN 45011 (European Standard for Product Certification) Audit Checklist needed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
A Non-Conforming Product vs. Supplier Audit Finding Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
Q Product Audit Check List according to VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
A Seeking: documentation for intrinsically safe product audit General Auditing Discussions 6
A How to calculate the Effectiveness of the Process and Product Audit System Internal Auditing 10
michellemmm Software Product Development Quality Assurance (PDQA) Audit Checklists Software Quality Assurance 12
Q Product Characterization Audit - What is "Characterization" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Product Audit Checklist according to ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
D Dock Audit (Product Audits and Process Audits) database wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 20
Q What should be Audited in a Product Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
harrysons Product Audit Checklist - Please give some advice or share your opinions Software Quality Assurance 8
B What is in a Product Audit? TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2.3 Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 21
K Help in meeting the requirements in 8.2.2.3 Product Audit of TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
I Definition Product Audit vs. Dock Audit vs. Layout Audit - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 29
V Is Product Audit Mandatory as per ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
somashekar Product audit for using the safety mark (ETL) on label Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Ajit Basrur Process and Product Audit format needed Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 1
R Product Audit Summary Form needed IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B What is the full name of QKZ in product audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
H Product Audit - TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
K Mock Audit Log Form Template for Product Recall/Return at Food Plant Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
P Product Audit looking at Conformity, not Effectiveness General Auditing Discussions 6
C Audit NonConformance - Evidence of Post Market Vigilance and Product Recall. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J AS9100 Clause 7.4.3 Verification of Purchased Product (audit Finding) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 30
Q Dock Audit - Reasons to do dimensional checks during product dock audit Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Icy Mountain Product Audit Process Requirements - Clause 8.2.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 35
H Specification Description - Product audit on the production floor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4