Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Definition Product Audit vs. Dock Audit vs. Layout Audit - Differences

A

anumeya

Dear Sir, Do we have a check sheet for injection molding process audit and product audit. if available pl.

G

gstewart

This is one of the occasions where there is a real difference between English and American.
By definition an audit cannot be a routine inspection, cannot be in the normal flow of production otherwise it is not an audit but part of the normal production.
If you only check a random sample of a shipment or a production batch, I think it can still be called an "audit" even if it is done routinely.
Ie you are not checking every individual product.

A dock audit can sometimes be analogous to a final audit. If a factory made one part and shipped it daily, it would be easy to combine the two.

Car companies talk about Layout Audits, or Layout Inspections. ( Its another made up term like they are fond of ). Very similar to product audits , they are supposed to be a total check against the drawing . However the layout inspections raise many questions. Do you include all performance requirements. ie destructive tests?, durability tests? material tests ( that may not be verifiable on the finished product )? Fitment tests?

Depending on the product you could also claim that a comprehensive final inspection fits the needs of a "product audit".

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
Injection Molding is a process while Dock Audit, Process Audit, layout Inspection etc are system audits. These system could be applied to any specific process like Press Shop or Injection Molding.

Injection Molding is a process while Dock Audit, Process Audit, layout Inspection etc are system audits. These system could be applied to any specific process like Press Shop or Injection Molding.
I'm not sure a "dock" audit can be considered a "system" audit, if it looks at product and packaging! It's only looking at the output of the processes - not a system of processes. Same with a process audit and layout inspection (which has nothing to do with system audits). A system audit covers multiple processes - for example, from receipt of a customer inquiry to packaging/shipping, via engineering, manufacturing etc.

Last edited:
What is the exact requirement of Product audit in manufacturing industry. Only operation wise inspection is sufficient or any check points to be identified. Please guide me. If any body have a excel sheet format for the same please share with me. Thanks.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
What is the exact requirement of Product audit in manufacturing industry. Only operation wise inspection is sufficient or any check points to be identified. Please guide me. If any body have a excel sheet format for the same please share with me. Thanks.
There is no "exact requirement" except for those of your customer(s) and your own company. In automotive work, a product audit generally involves following the control plan through the entire process and verifying that a given product is being processed in accordance with the requirements. This assumes that customer requirements are addressed in the control plan.

Thanks Jim for the clarification. But which parameters needs to consider in product audit? Only inspecting the parameters as per control plan is sufficient or other parameters needs to check. Please comment on the same.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Thanks Jim for the clarification. But which parameters needs to consider in product audit? Only inspecting the parameters as per control plan is sufficient or other parameters needs to check. Please comment on the same.
Please see the first sentence in the post you replied to. Notwithstanding customer requirements, it's up to you.

Actually product inspection is checking parameters either thing is to fulfill your specification or not simply, when you have an owner of a garments factory and you have to produce a brand level garments product how you can measure the parameters. Off Corse, you can measure the specification through inspection which is called Product Quality Inspections services.

Top Bottom