Product definition for Ethylene Oxide Sterilization Validation

B

bacillus killer

Dear all,
I'm designing a sterilization validation and, in general, a sterilization assurance system.
All the products in range were reviewed by a qualified team and only few products were shortlisted, being the most difficult to be sterilized products in range.

Now I have 2 questions:

Q1:
Is it mandatory to select only one "Worst-case product" before entering the sterilization validation (ISO 11135:2014 annex B) or can I start the validation with more than one candidate "worst-case productS"?
Working with an Overkill approach, Can I for example demonstrate the appropriateness of the internal PCD, comparing it with all candidate products in sublethal cycles?

Q2:
Is it mandatory to identify the most difficult to sterilize location within the product?
How this information will be used in following validation steps?

According to ISO 11135:2014 (8.6) "The PCD shall present a challenge to the sterilization process that is equivalent or greater than the challenge presented by the natural bioburden at the most difficult to sterilize location within the product".

In my case I have more than one products / locations but it is still possible to analyze whole product so I suppose there is no need to identify the most difficult to sterilize location to demonstrate the appropriateness of the Internal PCD used during the validation!
Am I right?

Thank you all for your contributes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
A quick "Bump". My Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this one.

I think you can choose more than product to represent the worst case. as the worst case product can be determined from more than attribute, is it the most difficult to be sterilized? , or that it retains more EO residual?

i think in your case , you can place B.I and the products in all locations seemed to be the most challenging places, to get the relative resistance between the B.I and the product.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Definition of Convenience Kit for a Combination Product US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
P Boeing D6-51991 Quality Assurance Standard for Digital Product Definition AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
W Definition Product Audit - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
O Definition of "Product Conformity to Requirements" in ISO 9001 Clause 4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Definition Nonconforming Product - Definition of Nonconforming Product in a Water Facility Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
Marc Definition Product Problem Rate (PPR, %) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition Applicable Product Denominator (APD) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition Confirmed Product Problems (CPP) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
C Definition Distributed Product Definition - Medical Devices Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
K What exactly is Digital Product Definition? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
V Digital Product Definition (DPD) - Computer generated drawings Software Quality Assurance 8
B DPD (Digital Product Definition)/MBD (Model Based Definition) Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
C Definition NPI (New Product Introduction) Readiness - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
E Definition Product Lifetime - Including ISO 13485 Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 12
F The nonconforming product definition applies for the purchased products? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Guarantee and warranty , Product liability- definition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Definition Customer Supplied Product - Definition (including returnable packaging containers) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Handling Unpacked (Additive Chemical) Product For Automotive Applications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
T Modification of a product on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D CE Marked product considered a Drug in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
Ajit Basrur Physical Address on Product Labels (EU MDR perspective) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
optomist1 Design Exclusion, but now we might have an outsourced Product Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
S CE marking for a product upgrade CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Experience with Agile PLM (Product Lifecycle Management Software) software from Oracle? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Gamula Product-Lifecycle-Management Experience Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 9
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Changing the Address in 510(K) Approved Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1