Product FMEA vs. Process FMEA - Aerospace Industry Machine Shop

S

shorttimeQE

We are a machine shop that produces parts for the aerospace industry. I have been tasked to create Product FMEA's. My knowledge of FMEA's has been more focused on Process FMEA that have been derived from DFMEAs. Therefore, I am having some difficulty putting my arms around an FMEA strictly for a Product. My thoughts are, a product is a result of a process(es). So creating a Product FMEA will end up being a Process FMEA by default. Can anyone put me on the right path? Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
We are a machine shop that produces parts for the aerospace industry. I have been tasked to create Product FMEA's. My knowledge of FMEA's has been more focused on Process FMEA that have been derived from DFMEAs. Therefore, I am having some difficulty putting my arms around an FMEA strictly for a Product. My thoughts are, a product is a result of a process(es). So creating a Product FMEA will end up being a Process FMEA by default. Can anyone put me on the right path? Thank you in advance.
Do they mean design FMEA?

(I have not heart "product fmea" before)

S

shorttimeQE

"They" (my boss) wants to create a Product FMEA. Trust me I have done several FMEAs and I have not heard of it either. I was just wondering if anyone has. Thanks for the reply.

S

shorttimeQE

After getting more information and looking at and reading their "Product" FMEA, it appears they just call it Product FMEA, but in reality it is a process FMEA for implementing a new product. The terminology used for the FMEA is not what I am used to seeing, there is no verb - noun association, just statements like, Specifications, or Quality Approvals for the function column. They derived these "statements" by using a fishbone diagram. Again not what I am used to seeing or using as a bases for creating an FMEA.

B

bmaxquality

When in Rome, do as the Romans do...or at least learn the language. Take a look at the process FEMA examples in the Forums, and "create" a PFMEA that will be understood by the management team , operators at your company. For NPI's when you are not the design authority, look to your failure history to see what types of defects are being produced. Then you can fill in the PFMEA like a fault tree.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Examples of Design and Process FMEA for Pharmaceutical Product Development ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
S Product Characteristics vs. Process Characteristics in FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 5
D FMEA and Control Plan Characteristics Column - Product / Process Information FMEA and Control Plans 2
C Requirements for FMEA outside of Product Realization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
V Examples of Risk Assessment (FMEA) through the Life Cycle of the Product Development ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
B Automotive Severity 10 - Supplier Response - FMEA for an electronic product FMEA and Control Plans 8
M Design FMEA on just Product Families - Polyether and Polyester FMEA and Control Plans 2
I Supplier Product Distribution Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
N Brexit Combination Product Regulatory pathway for UK (MHRA). UK Medical Device Regulations 0
M Process Flow of ECN Product User and Service Guides Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
M Product Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 11
F Supplier : Product Qualification Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
F IEC 60601-2-54:2009 Accuracy of CURRENT TIME PRODUCT IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Adding new product code/Catalogue number to existing 510K US Medical Device Regulations 0
G Scratched tubing to be treated as nonconforming product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
A Production for same product at two production sites AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Art 117 product classification under rule 5 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Teeth Whitening Product Classification Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
M Safety assessment of cosmetic product EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H EMC & Safety Testing of the product with the same Sr. No. for EC Declaration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Product Requirements Control during Design Changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
D Digital Product Definitions Related Work Instructions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
V Would the customer drawing change necessitate re-PPAP of the Product? APQP and PPAP 3
A Combination product Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
E UDI on product/packaging levels EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Drug-Device Combination product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
H Product Safety & Conformity Representative (PSCR) Training Company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
X Design stage overview (Product specification) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
9 Responsibility for Product Paid for but not yet Shipped AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Product Acceptance Software (PAS) PROCEDURE (BOEING D6-51991) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Combo Product Assembly Process OQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
V ADDING NEW MEDICAL DEVICE / Product, WHEATHER THIS AFFECTS EXISTING ISO 13485 CERTIFICATION? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Product Liability Insurance coverage for EU Importer by UK Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
sonflowerinwales Outgassing - product inside a sealed housing Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Temporary Product Deviation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
FRA 2 FDA Product NCRs- Quality Review Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
armani 7.1.5 and design and development of product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Aftermarket product PPAP approval IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G How to find applicable standards for a new product? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T Link GMDN code and FDA product code US Medical Device Regulations 5
S Combination Product - Packaging US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
S Can a product option change the product class? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H Regarding EMC & Safety retesting requirements of the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Q Product audit assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Submit under a new product code in a 510k? US Medical Device Regulations 5
P Product Quality Review API-GMP Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D Shelf life of non sterile class IIb product. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Product Update and executing only affected System Tests, leaving out unaffected ones IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
K Can I make an exclusion of Design and Development in ISO 13485:2016 if my product is not regulated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
M How to show the effect of the failure mode on the manufacturing process as a customer of product design process? FMEA and Control Plans 3