Product NCRs- Quality Review

FRA 2 FDA

Involved In Discussions
I have been gradually taking more and more responsibility in my role as my competence allows. The newest thing that I have started signing off as the quality approval is product NCRs. We are about to revise our report form and this will expand my responsibility so I'm trying to get ahead of the game and make sure I can confidently take this on. Obviously I can handle ensuring that any rework plan or disposition of NCR product or decisions on CAPAs, etc makes sense and complies with our internal processes. However, the part where I have to ensure that regulatory and customer requirements must be met is where I'm lost. Short of either having very comprehensive knowledge of both or going through and looking up every possible part of an NCR report in all applicable regulations and customer agreements, I'm not sure how to do this and either of those seems like an insurmountable task. Is there a smart, efficient way to check these requirements and confidently approve an NCR report?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

FRA 2 FDA

Involved In Discussions
Now that I've come back to this issue in my research (I started looking into this yesterday, my apologies for picking up in the middle of something without regaining my bearings), I can rephrase my question. I was concerned about use-as-is dispositions specifically. Our SOP says "before the Quality Manager signs that the disposition is acceptable, they must check that regulatory and customer requirements will be met". So that's my real question. How would I go about verifying that, as each instance of UAI is different?

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Dispositioning nonconforming products for UAI, rework and repair should typically be a consensus decision of a multi-disciplinary team, involving personnel with profound knowledge of the product engineering side, including regulatory approvals.

MRBMP

Registered
Hello,
I agree with Sidneys point and would like to add some info from my experience. When it comes to UAI dispositions, this was collectively decided by a team of people (MRB) who should understand the product, specifications, etc. From a Quality perspective, it's always good to ask yourself, what are the potential risks of using the product? Is the documentation trail sufficient and justifies why the product can be UAI?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Two inputs:

I don’t think we are looking for consensus so much as we are looking for agreement of all of the facts involved in the effect of the NC. Consensus can be that everyone agrees on the wrong thing. I have seen many UAI dispositions pass failing material that later created functional failures because the disposition era used their feelings and opinions rather than facts and data. Occasionally facts and data can not be generated by functionally testing the parts.

UAI is appropriate when the NC Characteristic is not critical to the function or use of the product. And/Or the specifications are too tight to begin with. This second condition can occur when engineering decides to have an ‘internal’ specification that is tighter than the ‘regulatory’ specifications. This is done to provide a guard band against failures to the real spec and serves as a ‘warning’ that the process output is ‘dangerously’ close to being out of spec but the part will still function properly (a misguided type of process control).
The role of the disposition lead should be to discern the truth (with data and facts) regarding the specification and the amount of nonconformance.

FRA 2 FDA

Involved In Discussions
Ah, ok. Now this doesn't seem nearly so daunting. Our procedure does also require engineering to approve UAI. So my role is to ensure the paper trail can be followed on their decision and that it all makes sense. Thanks for the input everyone!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Containment Actions for NCRs (AS9100 C) that are not Product related AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
H Product Safety & Conformity Representative (PSCR) Training Company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
X Design stage overview (Product specification) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
9 Responsibility for Product Paid for but not yet Shipped AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Product Acceptance Software (PAS) PROCEDURE (BOEING D6-51991) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Combo Product Assembly Process OQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
V ADDING NEW MEDICAL DEVICE / Product, WHEATHER THIS AFFECTS EXISTING ISO 13485 CERTIFICATION? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Product Liability Insurance coverage for EU Importer by UK Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
sonflowerinwales Outgassing - product inside a sealed housing Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Temporary Product Deviation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
armani 7.1.5 and design and development of product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Aftermarket product PPAP approval IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G How to find applicable standards for a new product? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Link GMDN code and FDA product code US Medical Device Regulations 5
S Combination Product - Packaging US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
S Can a product option change the product class? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H Regarding EMC & Safety retesting requirements of the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Q Product audit assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Submit under a new product code in a 510k? US Medical Device Regulations 5
P Product Quality Review API-GMP Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D Shelf life of non sterile class IIb product. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Product Update and executing only affected System Tests, leaving out unaffected ones IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
K Can I make an exclusion of Design and Development in ISO 13485:2016 if my product is not regulated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
M How to show the effect of the failure mode on the manufacturing process as a customer of product design process? FMEA and Control Plans 3
J Enough for PSUR to cover product family? (Procedure packs, not the legal manufacturer) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Product registration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
V Product naming: Same name - different perfume & status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
E Marketing, product and system requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
C PPAP requirements for consumer product APQP and PPAP 2
C How to place software version for SaMD product in HIBC secondary data structure (UDI-PI)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
T Does marketing company require CE mark if manufacturer has CE mark on product? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Classification of product (measuring or not?) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Ron Rompen 4.4.1.2 Product Safety Compliance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 29
M Supplier Control for Unique Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Shelf life of product Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
D One Software as Medical Device product or two? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Aerospace Product Key Characteristics AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F Product classification according to the 60601-2-57: Particular requirements [...] of non-laser light sources [...] IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Reworking MDD product w MDR labeling CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
D Regulations covering Sterile product shipments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M R&R Studies - how many? per product? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Eudamed actor registrations if you change AR for MDR product EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Reliability issue - Frequent component failure of the product Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
R Statistical Methods for comparing test and reference product equivalence for quality attributes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
L How to deal with the model number symbol for X-RAY PRODUCT Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Establishment and Product Registration Procedure - UK & EU UK Medical Device Regulations 0
I Is SRN required for a contract manufacturer (CE-Marking product)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Process & Product Characteristic in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 17
L 1 product multiple factories EU Medical Device Regulations 0