Product Realisation and Life Cycle Processes

During the translation of ISO 9001 into Russian language our interpreters translate "7. Product realization" as "7. Processes of lifecycle stages" ( my reverse word-for-word translation). It was caused by the fact that "realization" very often means "sale" in Russian language.
But many users think such variant (life cycle) is not correct. There is no definition of product life cycle in ISO 9000:2000.
So
1. Is it a serious mistake?
2. Did non English-speaking users of ISO have similar problems during translation?

Regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K
Life Cycle

In my experience the phrase "Product Lifecycle" covers the period from design (or conception) through obsolecence. As a matter of fact, we ar using a PLC process to meet ISO requirements for design.

I think you have found something grave here..

Uh, oh...

The swedish translation mentions nothing about life cycle stages... It sounds as if you have found a real bug there. I cannot possibly translate the english version to "Processes of lifecycle stages". Clause 7 only covers the products life up to the moment it's been delivered to the customer. (7.5.5).

However, in swedish the word "realisation" (pretty close to realization) or for short "rea" means... Yep: sale...

So, the mistake may have been understandable... if it had been found in a draft. To find it in a released standard: Now that's something else. I have found some slightly dubious translations in the swedish version, but nothing on this scale

Any other interesting translations out there?

/Claes

M

M Greenaway

The translation into plain english would be a good start :biglaugh:

Where did ithe authors of the 1994 standard go :confused:

P

pthareja

Re: Product Realisation Vs Life Cycle Processes in Clause 7

The dubious? translation of "7. Product realization" as "7. Processes of lifecycle stages" ( by reverse word-for-word translation to Russian Language of ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management Standard) was debated in 2002. And Aborted.

We are wiser in 6 years, because 1. the standard has been in use through varied hands for its expected spirit and conceptualisation over time;
2. Newer version 2008 is also round the corner.

With better adaptation of our processes today to environmnet related exigencies, I tend to think that the Life Cycle Part, if added into planning, must makes a strong case?

Are we ready?

Regards
P Thareja
Head Met Engg Deptt.
Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh, INDIA

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
During the translation of ISO 9001 into Russian language our interpreters translate "7. Product realization" as "7. Processes of lifecycle stages" ( my reverse word-for-word translation). It was caused by the fact that "realization" very often means "sale" in Russian language.
But many users think such variant (life cycle) is not correct. There is no definition of product life cycle in ISO 9000:2000.
So
1. Is it a serious mistake?
2. Did non English-speaking users of ISO have similar problems during translation?

Regards
1 Yes!
2 I would not be surprised, since even most English speaking users had never used the "PR" phrase until some committee decided to invent it.

To realise the value of an asset (eg a house, or a painting) means to turn it into cash, which will be where the "sale" idea comes from.

But "product lifecycle" relates to how a "product" (goods or services) exists within its market over time, so has nothing to do with a single product delivered to a specific customer. "Design, development, production and delivery" might be more understandable, and fit the service sector as well?

D

ddunn

Rather than Product Life Cycle I believe what is meant is Development Life Cycle which is a subset of Product Life Cycle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Product Realisation without manufacturing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Is clause 7.1 (product realisation) relevant to wholesaler? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Validation of software used for product realisation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q What are the Product Realisation processes that manage Finances? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Product Realisation Process Map - Need some help, please review and comment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C API Q1 Clause 7.1.1 Planning of Product Realisation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Compliance with ISO 9001 Clause 7.1 - Planning of Product Realisation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
F Realisation of Product in regards to ISO 9001 for Private School (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M ISO 9001:2000 - Types of Processes Other Than Product Realisation Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 53
Felony Melony New Product Launch - Safe Launch Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
A ISO 11135:2014, B.1.4, BI resistance x product bioburden ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
A Software bug fixes after shipping a product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Letter to file for Product Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Can a Contract Manufacturer "release" product on behalf of client to the market? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H PCD remains valid for new product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Ed Panek CE Mark Requirements on Kits (off the shelf product requirements met) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Authorised Representative details on product label? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Importing a general wellness low risk product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
C Brazil - Product Code (and brand) Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Handling Unpacked (Additive Chemical) Product For Automotive Applications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
T Modification of a product on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 2