Product Realisation and Life Cycle Processes

E

eee

During the translation of ISO 9001 into Russian language our interpreters translate "7. Product realization" as "7. Processes of lifecycle stages" ( my reverse word-for-word translation). It was caused by the fact that "realization" very often means "sale" in Russian language.
But many users think such variant (life cycle) is not correct. There is no definition of product life cycle in ISO 9000:2000.
So
1. Is it a serious mistake?
2. Did non English-speaking users of ISO have similar problems during translation?

Regards

K

KenS

Life Cycle

In my experience the phrase "Product Lifecycle" covers the period from design (or conception) through obsolecence. As a matter of fact, we ar using a PLC process to meet ISO requirements for design.

I think you have found something grave here..

Uh, oh...

The swedish translation mentions nothing about life cycle stages... It sounds as if you have found a real bug there. I cannot possibly translate the english version to "Processes of lifecycle stages". Clause 7 only covers the products life up to the moment it's been delivered to the customer. (7.5.5).

However, in swedish the word "realisation" (pretty close to realization) or for short "rea" means... Yep: sale...

So, the mistake may have been understandable... if it had been found in a draft. To find it in a released standard: Now that's something else. I have found some slightly dubious translations in the swedish version, but nothing on this scale

Any other interesting translations out there?

/Claes

M

M Greenaway

The translation into plain english would be a good start :biglaugh:

Where did ithe authors of the 1994 standard go :confused:

P

pthareja

Re: Product Realisation Vs Life Cycle Processes in Clause 7

The dubious? translation of "7. Product realization" as "7. Processes of lifecycle stages" ( by reverse word-for-word translation to Russian Language of ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management Standard) was debated in 2002. And Aborted.

We are wiser in 6 years, because 1. the standard has been in use through varied hands for its expected spirit and conceptualisation over time;
2. Newer version 2008 is also round the corner.

With better adaptation of our processes today to environmnet related exigencies, I tend to think that the Life Cycle Part, if added into planning, must makes a strong case?

Are we ready?

Regards
P Thareja
Head Met Engg Deptt.
Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh, INDIA

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
During the translation of ISO 9001 into Russian language our interpreters translate "7. Product realization" as "7. Processes of lifecycle stages" ( my reverse word-for-word translation). It was caused by the fact that "realization" very often means "sale" in Russian language.
But many users think such variant (life cycle) is not correct. There is no definition of product life cycle in ISO 9000:2000.
So
1. Is it a serious mistake?
2. Did non English-speaking users of ISO have similar problems during translation?

Regards

1 Yes!
2 I would not be surprised, since even most English speaking users had never used the "PR" phrase until some committee decided to invent it.

To realise the value of an asset (eg a house, or a painting) means to turn it into cash, which will be where the "sale" idea comes from.

But "product lifecycle" relates to how a "product" (goods or services) exists within its market over time, so has nothing to do with a single product delivered to a specific customer. "Design, development, production and delivery" might be more understandable, and fit the service sector as well?

D

ddunn

Rather than Product Life Cycle I believe what is meant is Development Life Cycle which is a subset of Product Life Cycle.

Top Bottom