Product Realisation Process Map - Need some help, please review and comment

Brian Hunt

Involved - Posts
I used to know the standard pretty well but have been away from ISO9001 for a few years and seem to have forgotten a lot. Also, I find that the working and structure of the standard confusing and bizarre - the use of the future tense (all the 'shalls' and 'wills') and product realisation instead of design. You full time Quality Managers and consultants earn your money!

Anyway, I'm working against the clock in getting some documentation written - please let me have your comments on how well this map works/does not work - anything that I've missed or doesn't make sense?

Thanks

Brian

Attachments

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ckillam3

Starting to get Involved
Brian,

I do not reply to posts too often because one of our colleagues might have already responded appropriately. I find your process maps clear and understandable. I would encourage you to not be so specific that your procedure or map boxes you into a corner with requirements.

Charlie

Brian Hunt

Involved - Posts
Thanks Charlie - I appreciate your comments.

I see one of the problems with ISO9001 is that is very detailed and specific but real life implementation is not. Getting the balance right is tricky!

J

JaneB

Brian,

Do you really need to have all those clause refs in the flowchart? I think they make it confusing. I'd never put them in a flowchart/procedure/what have you. Some people are keen on having a matrix as a cross-reference though I almost never do that. It might be useful for you to get your head around what's covered where, but.

I disagree with you that 9001 is specific - in fact it is not. Unlike the vast majority of standards, it is a generic standard, and stipulates the what, but not the how.

Also, it's changed a lot in the last 12 years or so, particularly becoming less manufacturing-specific and -centric. But you're right that 'getting the balance right' is the key.

'Product realisation' translates into and out of English without loss of meaning, which is I gather one of the main reasons for the cumbersome phrase. And for those businesses that are service-based - 40% of certifications last time I looked - calling it 'design' just would not work. (See what I mean about generic?)

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JaneB

Usually a process flowchart has an obvious start and finish - yours doesn't. I actually found myself quite confused about where the beginning was and where it finished, because things just seemed to go around and around with rather too many arrows.

I suggest you're trying to do too much in a single map. What about simplifying and clarifying further.

Where does the design process start for you? Begin there. OK, show the inputs,but don't put the 'process' in the middle with all thise stuff whirling around it. Show the stages of the process - either left to right or bottom to top is a standard way of doing that. Show what happens and where it ends or what the output is.

OK, there are complications - then why not reference another process or two (such as nonconformity) if things fail? Otherwise you've got almost everything in the design process map... except the actual design process.

J

JaneB

Making things simple takes time!
Yes, it really does.

I sometimes think I spent a huge part of my life creating things that can be skimmed through quickly and look as though they were just tossed off in a few minutes. They weren't.

But the time spent on simplifying, clarifying, simplifying some more is always time very well spent in my opinion. Any fool can - and at times does - create something big and complicated and crammed full of stuff. But given the choice, which would you rather read or use?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Product Realisation without manufacturing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Is clause 7.1 (product realisation) relevant to wholesaler? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Validation of software used for product realisation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q What are the Product Realisation processes that manage Finances? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C API Q1 Clause 7.1.1 Planning of Product Realisation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Compliance with ISO 9001 Clause 7.1 - Planning of Product Realisation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
F Realisation of Product in regards to ISO 9001 for Private School (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
E Product Realisation and Life Cycle Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M ISO 9001:2000 - Types of Processes Other Than Product Realisation Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 53
L AS9100 - Product and Service Provision 8.5.1q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
J Possible to get ISO 13485 certified with only OEM Product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Felony Melony New Product Launch - Safe Launch Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
A ISO 11135:2014, B.1.4, BI resistance x product bioburden ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
A Software bug fixes after shipping a product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
silentmonkey How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Letter to file for Product Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Can a Contract Manufacturer "release" product on behalf of client to the market? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H PCD remains valid for new product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Ed Panek CE Mark Requirements on Kits (off the shelf product requirements met) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Authorised Representative details on product label? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Importing a general wellness low risk product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
C Brazil - Product Code (and brand) Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2