Product Realisation without manufacturing

M

MareikeBausch

Hi everyone,
at the moment I am helping in writing a quality manual as we are implementing a QMS according to 9001.
I am now working on section 7 product realization. Now our company does not manufacture anything. We are a distributor and we perform service and repair on some products.
What of section 7 does apply to us?
Can I define that for our company Sales and Service&Repair are "product realisation" as they are what we do to satisfy customers?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mareike

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi everyone,
at the moment I am helping in writing a quality manual as we are implementing a QMS according to 9001.
I am now working on section 7 product realization. Now our company does not manufacture anything. We are a distributor and we perform service and repair on some products.
Can I define that for our company Sales and Service&Repair are "product realisation" as they are what we do to satisfy customers?
Mareike
A couple of questions:

Does your product receives special processes.

Do you have equipment / tools that requires calibration.

If the answer to both questions are yes, then everything element of 7 is applicable.

It is the repair that separate you from distribution.

M

MareikeBausch

Hi,
thanks for the quick reply.
So yes: whenever a product comes in for service and repair we perform a electrical safety test. And we have two devices in our service department that need calibration.
Can I then just classify service and repair as product realisation?
And what about: Design and development? We do not design any products.
Cheers Mareike

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi everyone,
Mareike
Mareike,

Instead of studying the standard for developing your management system you may find it better to analyze your organization as a system that is fulfilling its purpose.

In doing this you may find that your organization already includes processes for:

1. Planning for success*
2. Understanding, agreeing and committing to customer requirements*
3. Designing services (incl design change control) to fulfill customer requirements*
4. Selecting suppliers and purchasing*
5. Caring for customer property*
6. Fulfilling the service design specs*
7. Controlling any measuring equipment*
8. Controlling credit and providing timely and accurate invoices*

* including risk assessment and monitoring

Better to respect and reflect the management system that actually runs the business than to impose procedures that "implement" ISO 9001.

John

dsanabria

Hi,
thanks for the quick reply.
So yes: whenever a product comes in for service and repair we perform a electrical safety test. And we have two devices in our service department that need calibration.
Can I then just classify service and repair as product realisation?
And what about: Design and development? We do not design any products.
Cheers Mareike
Yes - if the product is nt your product and you did not designed and developed it - exclusion is justifiable.

Product realization is in place because you meet instrument / tools / technical manual / M & M and on... so your repair service does fall under product realization.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes - if the product is nt your product and you did not designed and developed it - exclusion is justifiable.

Product realization is in place because you meet instrument / tools / technical manual / M & M and on... so your repair service does fall under product realization.
dsanabria,

I see no case for excluding service design from the requirements of 7.3 in clause 1.2.

John

dsanabria

dsanabria,

I see no case for excluding service design from the requirements of 7.3 in clause 1.2.

John
In total agreement - but if all they do is change a wire and use the manufacturing (OEM) instructions then the case begins to develop. In fairness, much information is needed before making a case for exclusion.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi everyone,
Mareike
Distribution + servicing and repair is a realization activity
Manufacturing is an other realization activity
You are RIGHT.
What applies to you, now you determine.
Specifically on any clause / sub-clause when you are in doubt, ask with all details.
It will not be appropriate for anyone to say at this juncture, what does not apply to you, with the given information...

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Is clause 7.1 (product realisation) relevant to wholesaler? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Validation of software used for product realisation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q What are the Product Realisation processes that manage Finances? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Product Realisation Process Map - Need some help, please review and comment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C API Q1 Clause 7.1.1 Planning of Product Realisation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Compliance with ISO 9001 Clause 7.1 - Planning of Product Realisation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
F Realisation of Product in regards to ISO 9001 for Private School (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
E Product Realisation and Life Cycle Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M ISO 9001:2000 - Types of Processes Other Than Product Realisation Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 53
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Handling Unpacked (Additive Chemical) Product For Automotive Applications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
T Modification of a product on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D CE Marked product considered a Drug in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
Ajit Basrur Physical Address on Product Labels (EU MDR perspective) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
optomist1 Design Exclusion, but now we might have an outsourced Product Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
S CE marking for a product upgrade CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Experience with Agile PLM (Product Lifecycle Management Software) software from Oracle? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Gamula Product-Lifecycle-Management Experience Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 9
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Changing the Address in 510(K) Approved Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Q Controlled sticker for product identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
J Verification of purchased product / Alexa as a medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
U Product Lifecycle Procedure Guidance Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
D Change Control - Product Name Change and its associated labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 7
E Can we still use MEDDEV 2.4/1 rev. 9 when classifying a medical device product under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L AS9100 - Infrastructure or Product? Inflight internet connectivity network AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K REF symbol with product code in the IFU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Bill of Materials for a complex product - Industry best practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2